Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 5:22:40 PM EDT
New to the site & just picked my 1st AK.  A Vector under folder.  I'm very happy with the quality.  However, I have one concern and would like to receive some feed back from the more experienced.  When in the open position, my under folder stock does not extend straight away from the back of the receiver.  It is angled downward quite a bit.  Therefore, I am unable to achieve a secure spotweld with my cheek on the stock.  I actualy rest the bony side of my chim against the stock.  I do not have a secure spotweld and feel this has a negative impact on accuracy & rapid follow-up shots.  

Is this normal for an under folderhis

Can I do anything to remedy this, or am I just being too picky for AK satisfactionThanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:40:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Not all underfolders are the same.  You have a stock that was used on an AKS-47.  It is supposed to angle downward like that.  The later AKMS rifles had the stock that went straight back.

Vectors are made with both stocks.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#2]
You could de-rivet that brand new Vector, and replace the UF stock and trunnion with a polish one. The Polish stick straight out.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I iwsh my yugos angled down.  I prefer that to having to cock my head so far sideways.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I like them angled downward as well.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:34:04 PM EDT
[#5]
That probably has the mileed struts, and is acutally considered desirable over teh "striaght back" stmpaed underfolders by many people.  You could very likely trade with someone here on the board for one of the straight-back stamped Vector rifles.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:38:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I like them angled downward as well.

You've never even fired one.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:02:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a polish underfolder that goes straight back from a collector's grade parts kit I would be willing to trade you.  Please IM me if you are interested.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:03:57 AM EDT
[#8]
............or, I have a vector underfolder that has not been fired with the straight underfolder stock I would be willing to trade too.  It came from atlantic.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:48:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:53:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Only a few AKs folders offer any kind of decent cheek weld. The underfolders, Romy, and AMD all suck as far as cheek welds go. The Norinco side folders aren't too bad, the traingle folders are decent, the Galil style are pretty good, and the folders that look like a fixed 74 stock are the best.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:29:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for everyone's input.  I feel better about keeping my 1st purchase.  I am planning to order up my second from Vector, and I am considering a side folder.  What type of spotweld can you achieve with your cheek when using the East German side folders(sigle tube extending back to a hollow triagle, not the crutch type)?  Better or worse than the underfolder?  Sorry about the description.  Wanted to clarify incase I was got my country mixed up.  AKs are still new to me.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:37:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:16:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Dont worry, My Vector is the same way. They used milled style folders that angle down. Look at a picture of an Arsenal SAS M7 it has the angle. I  like the angle instead of straight.

Oh , and I hope you dont try to SPOTWELD your cheek to any gun. (angled or straight). That would probobly hurt. Besides it would take surgery to get the ak off your cheek.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Sorry for using the Cliché "SPOTWELD".  Just an expression I have heard used in the past at a few schools I have attended.  I have heard it used with reference to the M-4(the contact created between the tip of your nose and the charging handle.  A recommended point of contact so that one always establishes the same line of sight with the front & rear sights).  I will refrain from mixing M-4 & AK range lingo and try to stick with textbook English from here on out.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:05:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Duke, Give me the address to mail my Yugo to!
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Like others have said it will be hard to get a comfortable cheek weld on any underfolder.  I had a "straight back" Vector UF and a Norinco UF.  The Norinco had the "dropped" stock like your Vector and was a little better but I went back to fixed stocks.  If you have to have an underfolder the one with drop would be best.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:37:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Thanks for everyone's input.  I feel better about keeping my 1st purchase.  I am planning to order up my second from Vector, and I am considering a side folder.  What type of spotweld can you achieve with your cheek when using the East German side folders(sigle tube extending back to a hollow triagle, not the crutch type)?  Better or worse than the underfolder?  Sorry about the description.  Wanted to clarify incase I was got my country mixed up.  AKs are still new to me.

Cheekweld form an E German sidefolder will most likely be worse to non existant.

My suggsetion is buy a fixed stock Vector, and then buy the E German or Romanian sidefolder stock separate.  Install it, see if you like it.  If you don't, you can sell it and re-install the fixed stock.

It sounds like you want a good solid cheekweld and unfortunately with AKs you typically either have good cheekweld or a foldable stock.  The exceptions would be a metal "triangle" folder or the Russian folders that are essentially a fixed stock with a special hinge/release mechanism (and are damned pricey!)
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I think AKs were engineered to be uncomfortable to shoot. AKs are made in (and for) countries with a different mindset than Americans. Over there, you're expected to adapt to your equipment, not adapt your equipment to fit you better.   (Which is probably why AR's are among the most comfortable military style guns to shoot).
That said, I still love my Vector underfolder, even though it scared me the first time out by stovepiping every few shots. Turns out it was bad ammo. Have fun with it!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:10:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
New to the site & just picked my 1st AK.  A Vector under folder.  I'm very happy with the quality.  However, I have one concern and would like to receive some feed back from the more experienced.  When in the open position, my under folder stock does not extend straight away from the back of the receiver.  It is angled downward quite a bit.  Therefore, I am unable to achieve a secure spotweld with my cheek on the stock.  I actualy rest the bony side of my chim against the stock.  I do not have a secure spotweld and feel this has a negative impact on accuracy & rapid follow-up shots.  

Is this normal for an under folder

Does this vary from AK to AK

Can I do anything to remedy this, or am I just being too picky for AK satisfaction

Thanks in advance.

I'm hoping mine comes in that way.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Is this normal for an under folder

Does this vary from AK to AK

Can I do anything to remedy this, or am I just being too picky for AK satisfaction

Thanks in advance.

I'm hoping mine comes in that way.

Sorry for the double tap.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top