Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/30/2006 6:42:51 PM EDT
I am considering stripping and polishing the charging handle on my ak for a more traditional look, however some are saying that they switched back to a normal one because they were fed up with it being so prone to rust.  Someone even said that even with it well oiled, it would still rust.  What do you guys think, should I not do it, is there any solution to protect it from rust?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:57:39 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am considering stripping and polishing the charging handle on my ak for a more traditional look, however some are saying that they switched back to a normal one because they were fed up with it being so prone to rust.  Someone even said that even with it well oiled, it would still rust.  What do you guys think, should I not do it, is there any solution to protect it from rust?

Hard chrome, gold plating, nickel plating  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:58:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Duracoat Clear
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Duracoat Clear

Would I be able to buy that in most sporting goods stores or a hardware store?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Duracoat Clear

Nope

www.lauerweaponry.com/index.cfm?Category=250

There are TONS of refinishers out there that cater to us that use Duracoat products, a bolt carrier should be minimal cost if they have the Duracoat Clear

You could do it yourself with a $15 (approx)  hobby air brush kit from harbor freight
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:15:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Duracoat Clear

No.  Brownells.com or a similiar product from KG
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:18:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:21:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=17640&s=

207.44.229.182/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=gk

I still think the gold plating would look nice

Im going for traditonal, not bling bling
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#8]
guncoat in grey similar to a gun metal would be tough as nails and sweet! Alot of refinishers could do this
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:31:04 PM EDT
[#9]
KG guncoat has numerous different colors, check the link I posted out. One is clear one is brushed stainless.  Use birchwood casey's rust and blueing remover, steel wool or a blast cabinet if you have access. I've got a can and a airbrush I bought.  Just haven't got around to it yet.  

I got my airbrush at Dixie Art supplies   www.dixieart.com/BadgCraft.html with a can or two of propellant to get free shipping.  Harbor freight has cheaper ones but I figured I would get a little better one and these are supposed to be good.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I've never had any rust issues but I polished mine to a mirror finish.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Try this link. His directions are right on and shouold get you going in the right direction.

http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/chrome.htm

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:06:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I have numerous bolt rifles with polished bolts that have never even remotely shown signs of rust.  I have a piece of sheet metal in my garage.  One of them is polished to a mirror like finish and has a single coat of wd-40 on it that is 6 months old.  Zero rust has been seen in that time so I can only assume that even a small coat of a rust inhibitor is good enough.

I think the key is to remove all the polish and lubricate/protect imediately.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:13:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Stripped mine three years ago.

No rust ever..

It only gets oiled about once a year.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:36:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Take some 600 grit snadpaper and some gun oil and polish it, go over it with some 1000 grit and some more oil, it wont rust
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:03:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Hard Chrome would probably be the best.

The original "in the white" bolt carriers contain a higher precentage of chrominum as opposed to regular carbon steel, (although not enough to be considered staineless steel), hense they are less prone to rust when left in the white.

If you want something that looks that way, find one of those, I think the easiest way is to order one of the chinese bolt carriers from www.polytechparts.com.

Otherwise, the best and once and for all method would be to have your bolt carrier hardchromed, it doesn't have to be "bling bling", matte chrome or brushed chrome would look great.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top