Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 12:04:50 PM EDT
Hi guys and thanks anyone who is taking the time to read this.

I am thinking there is room for an AK in my safe but I don’t know anything about the various makes and models.

I am not all that picky about configuration and since the AK is known for rugged reliability that is really my main criteria.  I want it to run if SHTF.
Can you please suggest a make/model that would work for an AK-noob?

I don’t want a cheap POS but I also don’t need a really high-end or especially expensive one either.

Any suggestions or tips on what to look for/avoid appreciated.

Thank you
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:06:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Vector
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hi guys and thanks anyone who is taking the time to read this.

I am thinking there is room for an AK in my safe but I don’t know anything about the various makes and models.

I am not all that picky about configuration and since the AK is known for rugged reliability that is really my main criteria.  I want it to run if SHTF.
Can you please suggest a make/model that would work for an AK-noob?

I don’t want a cheap POS but I also don’t need a really high-end or especially expensive one either.

Any suggestions or tips on what to look for/avoid appreciated.

Thank you

What is good about the AK is the simplicity, ease of use, excellent design, reliability. I have a couple different countries even custom builds, my favorite is an ugly, simple SAR-1.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:12:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Vector

Don't they make the South African version of the Galil?  The R4 or something?

Looked it up...I was thinking of Vektor.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#4]
First you should decide what caliber you want. For a first AK I would say 7.62X39. I'd say a Vector or build by one of the well known smiths for a middle of the road gun. Once Arsenal comes out with their stamped AKM, that might be a good option.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:29:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
First you should decide what caliber you want. For a first AK I would say 7.62X39. I'd say a Vector or build by one of the well known smiths for a middle of the road gun. Once Arsenal comes out with their stamped AKM, that might be a good option.

Yes, definately 7.62X39.  Thank you.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:54:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I knew little about them myself when I first came to this forum in 2002, I ended up getting an Arsenal Inc. Sam7 Classic 7.62 x 39 great rifle!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I absolutely love my Vector!  That was my first one.  I must warn you since nobody else has...Beware of the allure of the Dark Side.  Once you get one AK, you will more than likely be stricken with a case of Kalashnikovitis.  You have been warned.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:02:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I absolutely love my Vector!  That was my first one.  I must warn you since nobody else has...Beware of the allure of the Dark Side.  Once you get one AK, you will more than likely be stricken with a case of Kalashnikovitis.  You have been warned.

Edit:Sorry about the double post!  i don't know what's up here lately.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:11:33 PM EDT
[#9]
WASR=lowend $350.00
SAR1=better than WASR better quality same maker $375-$475.00
Vector=people say good things about them..i dont know $475-$575.00
Atlantic Arms Different models=good and real good $450.00-$1,100.00
Arsenal Nevada=high end and quality average about $700.00-$1100.00 (maybe someone who knows better will speak up)
Chinese preban=high end and quality$650.00-$1400.00 (mint in the box unfired PolyTech Legend underfolder)Average price is $750.00

Alot of the new kit built guns are of excellent work. Might want to check into that...nice Romanians(military) and Yugoslav underfolders, AK pistols, lots of good stuff out there.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:32:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
WASR=lowend $350.00
SAR1=better than WASR better quality same maker $375-$475.00
Vector=people say good things about them..i dont know $475-$575.00
Atlantic Arms Different models=good and real good $450.00-$1,100.00
Arsenal Nevada=high end and quality average about $700.00-$1100.00 (maybe someone who knows better will speak up)
Chinese preban=high end and quality$650.00-$1400.00 (mint in the box unfired PolyTech Legend underfolder)Average price is $750.00

Alot of the new kit built guns are of excellent work. Might want to check into that...nice Romanians(military) and Yugoslav underfolders, AK pistols, lots of good stuff out there.

Missed one.................

VEPR= People that dont have one want one....People that do have one want another one. No they dont look like a traditional AK (Before anyone points that out) But they are the most accurate. And are built on an RPK reciever with a heavy barrell. Usually run in the 500 range.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I would recommend a Vector to start.  They are reasonably priced, accurate and reliable.  Vector gives a 5 yr warranty so if you do have any trouble they will fix it.    There are cheaper and more expensive AKs out there but for the money the Vectors are good deal.  Once you have one - you may end up with more - AKs are addictive.

Ron
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah I forgot the VEPR....there good...you can get them that look almost like a reguler AK47-74 what ever turns you on. Depends how much work you want to do on it or the way you buy it. Lets see price range is not bad on VEPRs.....about $450 now I think, not sure on this one, probably around $550-$600.00 all fixed up real purtty. if Im wrong on the price I know it wont take long to set me straight. Personnaly Im a Preban Chinese guy...own 3  now...plus a bunch of others......Im gonna cover the world LOL heres my list.....
3 Chinese PreBans...Norinco 84s...Norinco Ak47s...PolyTech 762s(type 56)
2 Hungarian, a carbine and a pistol
1 Romanian WASR3 in .223
1 Polish Underfolder
1 Custom Made Romanian Kit

All in 7.62x39 except the 84s. And just for fun an unfired Norinco SKS paratrooper w/bayonet.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:43:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Vector Underfolder or Classic
SSR-85C-2
Arsenal Inc., SA M-7
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:04:06 PM EDT
[#14]
If you don't need it right now wait for Arsenals SLR-108.  It's a stamped AKM copy... supposed to be an exact AKM.  Bulgy military paint they finish them with sucks but the rifle will be of highest quality.  I hope they make them with underfolders too!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:39:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Either spend the extra now, or wait and save for a mid range one for your first.  My first (and only unfortunately) is a WASR.  I somewaht regret that, and wish I'd have bought a Vector, or Arsenal first.  Better quality, seem sturdier, better fit and finish, and more reliable from what I can find about them.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:53:01 PM EDT
[#16]
3 weeks ao I was in the same position as you. I ended up buying a Vector, I am extremely pleased with it. It's alot more accurate than I thought AK's were supposed to be.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Gonna be different and say the Century Yugo Underfolder.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:21:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Bought my first AK a few weeks ago - a Century Yugo Underfolder. Very happy with it but no other AK to compare it with. I just ordered a second one, exactly the same.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:27:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Tag for great information
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top