Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/29/2006 12:56:44 PM EDT
While trying to install a replacement HG on my Bulgarian -74, I decided it was different from a -47. Is the Bulgrain HG retainer different? Is there a common modification?

How about removing the upper HG from the Tube? Used to be I could roll the wood out, but the plum/pastic is being recalcitrant. More force? BFH? Get a grip?

TIA!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#1]
the 74, AKM, and Milled receiver AKs(AK47) all use different lower handguards.

The stamped receiver AK handguards should be interchangeable though.

You can modify a stamped receiver handguard to fit a milled receiver AK, although I really don't see why anyone would want to do that instead of getting a proper handguard.

As for removal of upper handguard, in my experience plastic handguards are actually much easier to remove than wooden ones.  I usually am able to do with with bare hand after mounting the rear end of the tube onto a vise.  I guess you just need to use more force.

Wrapping a towel around the upper helps too.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:33:40 PM EDT
[#2]
"Recalcitrant."  I had to look that one up.  I like that word!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:18:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks: the HG retainer on the Bulgarian has small folds that seemed to interfere w/ the HG set I had chosen. I'll 'notch' the HG to accept this.

The upper HG (plum) was very reluctant to roll off like the wood I've done. I did not attempt to use a vise (chicken I am). Since it is rectangular (or has parallel sides at the aft end), I'll try that.

Thanks again. Any more advice by others will alos be appreciated.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top