Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/28/2006 10:34:09 AM EDT
I just picked up a few boxes of E.German ammo all headstamped in the 70's. I paid $2.75/box of 20 today at a funshow. It looks like Wolf with the laquer cases but some has really dark bullets, not copper cased. Its this any good ammo? Any concernes about shooting it?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:40:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I just picked up a few boxes of E.German ammo all headstamped in the 70's. I paid $2.75/box of 20 today at a funshow. It looks like Wolf with the laquer cases but some has really dark bullets, not copper cased. Its this any good ammo? Any concernes about shooting it?

sounds like they are just bear lead bullets
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:17:33 PM EDT
[#3]
It's very good ammo.  It's E. German steel cored military ball.  It is corrosive so clean appropriately.

I have a .50 caliber can full of it saved up for a rainy day.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:24:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Are the bullets pointed or blunt?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:06:22 PM EDT
[#5]
More blunt than pointy, some boxes are more pointy than blunt. Its a mixed lot.

Corrosive? Damn, now I have to clean it at 2AM or Ill be up all night thinking about it. I thought Id found some cheap bumping type ammo, maybe Ill toss this in an ammo can in the back.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:15:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I have EG steel core in plastic blister packs that is the best 7.62x39 ammo I own.  I've never heard of any surplus AK ammo with blunt/rounded tips other than plastic practice ammo.  I think that's what you have.  Hard to tell without pics.

ETA, are you talking about copper cased or copper jacketed, two different things.  If the bullet jackets are not copper or copper washed, you have practice ammo.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:35:23 PM EDT
[#7]
So whats the deal with practice ammo? Not worth keeping, shoot it up? Honestly though Im probably just going to stash the good stuff away.

Thank you for the help everyone.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#8]
The plastic training ammo has a really dark blunt bullet and the whole cartridge feels a little lighter than a standard AK round.It will cycle through some AKs while some AKs experience problems with it.If you don't have much,I'd put it back for my collection or plink with it.No way I'd use it for self defense!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:04:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:28:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:30:19 PM EDT
[#11]
The dark blunt bullets are E.G. Plastic core bullets.  My wife loves to shoot them.  Trade you even for Wolf hollow points, it you have enough to make it worthwhile, how many you got?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:36:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The dark blunt bullets are E.G. Plastic core bullets.  My wife loves to shoot them.  Trade you even for Wolf hollow points, it you have enough to make it worthwhile, how many you got?

Maybe 6 boxes tops. IM me if you think its worth it, if not forget it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:14:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/Iron_Airship/m43.jpg

I got some old ammo like the left side stuff in this picture... stamped 86, and it WILL cycle every 3 rounds in my ak (or so), and not at all in my sks.

Ultra cheap though.  Glad I have a yugo sks so I can just fire it closed bolt.  

Stay away from the crap on the left if you can.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top