Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2006 4:47:08 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me what the differences are between the 1963 Romanian AKM and the 1975 Romanian AKM. They look the same to me. Am I missing something? Pictures? thanks
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I cannot believe that nobody knows. Anyone?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Romania had three arsenals going IIRC, so the difference in quality in the same year can be big.
I don't have a '63 kit yet, but the one '78 I have is a bit nicer than all but one of my '80's kits.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes I know about the arsenals and the differences in quality but this is not what I was asking. I have seen people selling Romanian AKM kits and there are those of model 63 and those of model 75. the lok like AKMs to me but I was wondering if there was more to it here or what.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:03:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Not much other than the lack of a front pistol grip and the date IMO.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:23:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I have wondered the same thing. I have noticed that the 63's (63 to at least 67) have the early features seen on pre-63 Russian AKM rifles. The 63 kits I have aquired all have the pistol grip type lower handguard, I guess these could have been replaced. The differences I am talking about are some minor lightening cuts that are not present on the early to mid 60s Romanians and the pre 63 Russian rifles. These are on the front sight block and gas block. Also the bolt carrier is a slab side style, does not have the step on the right hand side. Have also noticed that the 63 fixed stock trunnion is what is called a wasp waist instead of the single big hole. I am wondering if the 75 references is not just something one of the parts kit importers have recently came up with. Have you seen official references to a 63 and 75 designation?
jithaca
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:41:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Got me man???? Why are you building a project/clone gun?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Mine came with a wood pistol grip...not much difference other than age/condition
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:20:39 PM EDT
[#8]
yagermeister
What year was your kit made? Nice build.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:31:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks,my first rivet job.Its a 63.Bolt does not have hump also the hole in the front sight is slightly different than my 77 kit..
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:06:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got me man???? Why are you building a project/clone gun?

I am not building anything right now. I will have an unnamed builder build my 1986 kit later on but my question is just out of curiosity.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top