Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2006 7:57:41 PM EDT
I think im just going to sell off my SAR-1 and build up a Romy 47 kit into a rifle (with premade reciever)...I could save myself some money, and basically have a new rifle all over again, in whatever config I want, for less $$$... (it would be AW ban compliant of course, as well as 922 compliant).

Parts kit = $100
Compliance parts (under) $100
Recciever = $80

Value of SAR-1 = $350-400
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:20:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Your SAR has a real AKM receiver.

I wouldn't do what you're thinking about......you can mod the SAR-1 anyway you want to.

I know it has a factory reciever, but...how much better could it be than say a Global reciever or other sort of new commercially made type?

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:23:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:24:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Add up the costs of build tools as well.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It's not reverse engineered, it's the real deal.

Properly heat treated and the geometry is correct.

So you would rank say the best commercially available stamped reciever inferior to the Romanian factory built stamped reciever?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Add up the costs of build tools as well.

Build tools are available
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:27:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you would rank say the best commercially available stamped reciever inferior to the Romanian factory built stamped reciever?

Yes, compared to the SAR-1, Romak 1, or WUM-1, yes.

wow... alright.

whats your take on the Maadi rifles?  I think they are really something else....
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:29:29 PM EDT
[#9]
well I just ripped my SAR-1 down from the EE from being up for sale.... guess ill hold onto it..  I need a new FCG, this one has some real nasty slap on it...and yes its been worked on and the slap still exists (painfully)
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
www.ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=81&t=81567

Factory 54 set up by the Soviets back when Nasser was in power.

So ugly they're beautiful.

id like a EG 47 clone....  I like the handguards, but the pebble buttstock is horrid looking
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:33:22 PM EDT
[#12]
upon thinking more... I really need another 47.  

Id like to have one of each:

EG 47 clone with romy side folder
black poly nato stock AK
classic wood looking AK

whats the cheapest route to making each happen?  building up from a kit, or buying something like a WASR and slapping on the correct furn sets?  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:34:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:37:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'd rather have a Global receiver than a WASR.......

ok so whats the best route (cost effective) to getting a few more AK47 clones in my cabinet?  I want a mix of economical solutions and quality, I dont want to sacrafice too much quality for saving $....
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:38:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your talking about selling off a "factory built" Romanian rifle so you can replace it with a Romanian "kit" rifle. Maybe, if you were going with a Firing Line milled receiver but why do it for a stamped ...
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:40:05 PM EDT
[#16]
just tossing an idea around, see what everyone thinks...  now im following Templars advice
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:52:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd wait and look for more Romanian SAR 1's or a Maadi. They'd both more than likely still be ban compliant. With building a kit, you'd have to remove the threaded muzzle and bayonet lug. Plus the turning down of the threads on a AK muzzle would probably make the diameter too small to thread again. With the Maadi or SAR 1, you can still mod them to have a threaded barrel and bayonet lug later on. You'd still have real factory AK's and can mod them as you please.
Even if they're not in the configuration you want. You can still fire them, better than having a parts kit and receiver sitting separate.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Selling a real Romanian AK-47 to build up a very equal Romanian  AK-47 kit makes no sence.
It's like selling a dollar to buy a dollar... Does it really make sence?

Plus, you have to build the rifle, paint the rifle, re do the wood if you want it to look nice. Maybe you fuck up and you traded a dollar for 50 cents!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:58:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Dieter , IMHO the Perfect basic AK collection is  1 Stamped 7.62 - 1 Milled 7.62 , and a
nice AK -74 clone in 5.45

You already have a Stamped 7.62 , which you can pretty up , so...
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:59:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I'd wait and look for more Romanian SAR 1's or a Maadi. They'd both more than likely still be ban compliant. With building a kit, you'd have to remove the threaded muzzle and bayonet lug. Plus the turning down of the threads on a AK muzzle would probably make the diameter too small to thread again. With the Maadi or SAR 1, you can still mod them to have a threaded barrel and bayonet lug later on. You'd still have real factory AK's and can mod them as you please.
Even if they're not in the configuration you want. You can still fire them, better than having a parts kit and receiver sitting separate.

I guess your right, I think a Maadi is next on the list...pistol grip config of course...

1000000000 firearms are on the "to buy" list....not sure what to get first though....theres also duplicates I want...im sick like that, arnt we all though
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:24:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:11:45 PM EDT
[#22]
well im selling off the SAR-1, against all advice haha....for just a mere $350 shipped to a friend of mine. in Mississippi.  With the $350 ill get a few kits and some compliance parts, built one kit into a rifle, the other hold onto....im happy with that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:28:46 PM EDT
[#23]
You shouldn't have sold the SAR, and even worse you could have sold it for a little more $$$
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
You shouldn't have sold the SAR, and even worse you could have sold it for a little more $$$

i picked up a SA2000M rifle with like 3 mags in exchange for a 75round romy drum, and 4 Iraqi capture mags....I got a deal, so I returned the favor....  I got my money back on the SAR, im happy.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top