Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2006 3:56:38 PM EDT
I was curious, have any of you tried a buffer in conjunction with an AK-74 sidefolder? It looks like they may interfere with each other (big plunger spring and all...)...........TIA
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#1]
No, it works fine. It just "tightens" the spring about a coil or so.
Bulgarian AKS74. Remove the spring from the keeper, install buffer, reinstall the spring to the keeper. Thats it.......Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought the reasoning behind the 74 was lighter recoil . JK
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:07:16 PM EDT
[#3]
It IS lighter in recoil.........it's just that every time I look at this one rifle I see the $10,000,000 rear folder trunnion and all my hand riveting and think maybe a buffer would just make me feel a wee bit better. I dunno............
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:27:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't run buffers,AKs all over the World with 10,000 rounds through them without buffers.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:07:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I run a Black Jack buffer in my AKS74 (J.Newton built this one) It does soften that sharp whack on my cheek bone
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:50:44 AM EDT
[#6]
No buffer needed..
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:06:22 AM EDT
[#7]
You dont neeeeeed a buffer! (But you might like it any way)
I had an AK many moons ago, and I used a buffer with very good results!
The recoil of the bolt assembly whacking me right next to my face was not to bad before I installed the buffer.  But after the instalation I noticed a big diffrence in recoil sent thu the receiver to my face...

Just my 2 cents!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:34:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Take the buffers out and throw them away before you screw up your rifle ...
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:08:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I have many, MANY AK's and none of them have buffers in them. I was simply thinking of the EXPENSIVE side folder as an "investment to protect" is all.

One other note though, there are, from what I keep reading here and elsewhere, times when the buffers are GREAT. When the good ol' American made receiver let's the bolt carrier pop up because of it's dimensions being off? It then keeps the bolt carrier from going to far back? No?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:32:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Buffers will shorten the stroke a little.  If it doesn't affect reliability, then there is no prob.  If you start getting strange malfs, then shitcan the buffer.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:02:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a leather piece buffer on my 74, and I think it adds to the cheek slap effect
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top