Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/20/2006 9:09:11 AM EDT
I suspect the answer is 'NO' but I have a Romy kit that I want to parkerize to turn it into a nice E German AKM clone.  The kit already has quite a bit of finish wear, so no loss.  

And how hard/dangerous is it to parkerize a rifle kit like this?  I have anodized in my garage, so hopefully it isn't anymore nasty than that (neighbors wondered why I was wearing a chemeical suit! )
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I thought this was what ORF did and called it "Blark"?
Tomac
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Just a park job is DDR standard.

Not a finish expert, but dont bluing and park actually react/cause a reaction in the metal? If so, doesnt seem to make any sense to do both.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:18:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Just a park job is DDR standard.

Not a finish expert, but dont bluing and park actually react/cause a reaction in the metal? If so, doesnt seem to make any sense to do both.

both are types of rusting, but controlled rusting.  Blueing is much "finer" tahn park, so I was wondering if parking would work...just increasing the "grain" size so to speak...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:23:22 PM EDT
[#4]

DDR AKMs are parked, as you can see.. All the new spare parts that you will find will be a primer grey color....

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:03:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Stottman, your knowledge of E German militaria and weapons is both expansive and impressive! I have been working very hard to become knoledgeable on the topic. myself. I gather you are a member over at the DDR militaria boards on Gunboards?  I tried to sign up there but have login problmes and could never get a response from the administrator.

Hmm...well being that I will be using a donor blued Romanian rifle, I might find a coating that will look similar, such as "Colt Gray" Gunkote or a similar product.

Parkerizing seems to invloe some very vicious chemicals that I do nt have a good method to dispose of, adn i don't feel like paying to have it done.  besides, a good coating over blueing ought ot protect the metal pretty well.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:24:28 PM EDT
[#6]
My old gunsmith buddy (God rest his soul) used to blue over
fresh pakerizing.  It was a real attractive matt black.

IHC
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:47:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks Stottman, your knowledge of E German militaria and weapons is both expansive and impressive! I have been working very hard to become knoledgeable on the topic. myself. I gather you are a member over at the DDR militaria boards on Gunboards?  I tried to sign up there but have login problmes and could never get a response from the administrator.

No have just read allot, and fondled allot of them...Nothing special.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top