Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2006 6:38:08 AM EDT
is there a good source on East German AKs, types, characteristics.

And did they make an AK74?

also, have any kits ever come into the U.S. or are going to?

thanks.

-mark
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:43:19 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
And did they make an AK74?

also, have any kits ever come into the U.S. or are going to?

-mark

Yes, they did make a 74 clone.

A few kits have made it over (mostly PLO captures) but rumor has it most E. German arms were destroyed during unification.

Im sure someone else could be of more help with an info source.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:50:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
A few kits have made it over (mostly PLO captures) but rumor has it most E. German arms were destroyed during unification.

bastards.

and yeah....I shouldn't of asked IF they made 74s... seeing that I have a few E.German 74 mags.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:07:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I think I'm going to build up a few EG clones to sell. Let me know (privately) if you're interested. God I hope this wasn't against the rules.............
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I would reccomend buying a book called Kalasnikov. Its a book in the series of Greenhill Military Manuals and it has information on every AK type weapon in the world. Its an easy reference guide and has detailed information and pictures. Also, Small Arms of the World has a lot of AK information as well. The MPi-K 74 was introduced in 1984 and production ceased with re-unification. The German army used a hybrid of Nato/Warsaw weapons about the time of unification, primarily using NATO weapons such as the G3. There was alot of sensitivity to communist weapons and the AK is certainly a symbol of communisim. Soviet small arms and other weapons were destroyed and production was halted. One notable acception lies with the Mig 29. The

luftwaffe had a number of Mig 29's, communist or not, it is still one of the most capable jets in the world and they were already in service so they kept them. Mig 29's are still used in frontline service by the Luftwaffe. German Ak's exist in the civilian market place. I bought an E.German 74 for 550.00 around a year ago. Its a great gun, and certainly rare....but its wild "Afghan-deco" plastic stock is ugly as sin....They are pretty rare but pop up occasionally. I believe there were some parts kis around a few years back? I think of E. German AK's as HK made Kalashnikovs. They are excellent AK's and consistant with other European AK's.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:31:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm interested in finding one also.  I just bought my first AK - a Vector 7.62, and its front end is East German.  I was surprised by that, but I did some research and the stamps match pictures of the EG ones, as well as the order of the serial #.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:34:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Northridge has quite a few E German AK parts listed, and there have been a few threads about E German AKM's being purchased by the Iraqi government as of late. That is about the extent of my knowledge, although I do plan to to a buildup of an MPiMS-72 (E German AKM with sidefolder)

Do a search for "gunboards DDR trader" and there is a small forum with some godo info on E German uniforms and small arms.  There are at least two really good threads on the years of use and the model designations.  

Unfortunately something went wrong when I registered, so I can't post there and the administrator has thus far ignored my emails.  Too bad becuase I have been working on assembling a complete E German field Motor Rifle uniform with the AK to match.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:10:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like its got a Hungarian grip on it!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:49:07 PM EDT
[#9]
it also doesn't look lik it has the plastic upper
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
it also doesn't look lik it has the plastic upper

Perhaps Hungarian AKM with EG sidefolder?

In Afghaniland, nothing is suprising.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:04:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Another little known fact is the fate of the surviving Wieger StG-940-series weapons.  About 5,000 of these units were produced in anticipation of a much larger order by the Indian government as their future assault rifle for introduction in 1989-90.  With the collapse of the Indian deal and Berlin Wall, the DDR export authorities were faced with a real dilemma.  The Wiegers were quickly sold off and exported to Peru through a then very notorious East German exporter, who was then subsequently convicted on various crimes.  As off 2002, the Peruvian paramilitary forces were still using their StG's.  As a side note, I was lucky enough to be stationed in Berlin just prior to the collapse and stayed till '92.  At one of the then famous flea markets, I chanced upon two each StG-940 and StG-941 stock sets, along with the associated 5.56mm calibrated Carl Zeiss aus Jena ZF 4X scope.  One day, I hope to put these on a pair of stamped 5.56mm AKs.  Will be a most fitting way of remembering a most excellent tour.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:12:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's my clone.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Germans gave E.German equipment to just about any friendly MIlitary that would take stuff.. Turkey, Greece, Finland, even the USA.

The German Army uses STG940s as OPFOR weapons.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:38:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Here's my clone.

members.cox.net/eodinert/eg%20clone/eg%20clone%20rs.JPG

Very nice!  I like the accessories.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:02:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:55:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Were the E German AK's (AKM's) parked or blued finish?  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:12:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Parked only.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:35:54 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I think I'm going to build up a few EG clones to sell. Let me know (privately) if you're interested. God I hope this wasn't against the rules.............

maybe. I IM'd you for details.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:05:18 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Parked only.

Guess I'll be using the ROmy kit with lotsa finish wear but a pristine bore for that build.  The guns were parked, but the mags were blued, correct?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:23:36 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Parked only.

Guess I'll be using the ROmy kit with lotsa finish wear but a pristine bore for that build.  The guns were parked, but the mags were blued, correct?

Mags are parked as well..

The 47s were blued, as well as the mags.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:49:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Stottman,

Thanks for the info...by AK-47 I assume you mean the early milled receivers and AKMs were stamped, right?  So there would have been both blued and parked mags in use once the AKM was adopted (circa 1970 IIRC, right?)

I am trying to be as accurate as possible in my buildup of an AKM as used by a motor rifle soldier in approximately 1972-1975 period.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:53:10 AM EDT
[#22]
All of the original '74 parts I have seen are covered with glossy black paint; I assume over park.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:56:46 AM EDT
[#23]
I'd like to get an EG clone, even though their stock sets aren't the prettiest, unique none the less.

I visited the Berlin Wall area 2 times, and tried to collect some EG hats, pins and what not.  My German Teacher in highschool gave me an old EG battle flag, and now my father and I have it displayed in our library.  Would go good with a rifle.

thanks for all of the feedback, didn't expect this thread to go beyond 3 posts.

-mark
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:05:31 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Stottman,

Thanks for the info...by AK-47 I assume you mean the early milled receivers and AKMs were stamped, right?  So there would have been both blued and parked mags in use once the AKM was adopted (circa 1970 IIRC, right?)

I am trying to be as accurate as possible in my buildup of an AKM as used by a motor rifle soldier in approximately 1972-1975 period.

Yes, 47 milled, AKM stamped..

AKMs are actually from the mid 60s. First ones had laminated buttstocks.

For a 72-75 motorized rifleman, I would go with a folder, as well as the wood lower HG.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Stottman,

For a 72-75 motorized rifleman, I would go with a folder, as well as the wood lower HG.

When did they generally transition from wood to plastic lower HG?  And do you still have a few of your sets left?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:58:18 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Stottman,

When did they generally transition from wood to plastic lower HG?  And do you still have a few of your sets left?

Early 80s..Check the EE. Ad is up to date.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:16:24 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Stottman,

Early 80s..Check the EE. Ad is up to date.

Cool.  Let me see if I can cancel my set from Northridge and I'll jump on one of your sets...theirs doesn't come with the wood handguard and are used!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Aren't the SAR 3 steel mags Wiegers?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top