Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/15/2006 5:44:11 PM EDT
Besides the obvious compactness, why else would AK nuts buy an underfolder...or for that matter, a sidefolder?  

Help me talk myself into buying one!  (It just seems uncomfortable to shoot).

Bud
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Why for the Uber-coolness silly.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#2]
PURE EVIL

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:26:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Besides the obvious compactness, why else would AK nuts buy an underfolder...or for that matter, a sidefolder?  

Help me talk myself into buying one!  (It just seems uncomfortable to shoot).

Bud

That's about it.  Why are you looking for anything more?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:33:59 PM EDT
[#4]
They're not really un-comfortable,I'm kinda partial to an underfolder!
Yugo underfolder

Polish PMKMS

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:34:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I got one to make up for my little pen@%

During the Ban years paid a mint for one but had to have one.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:16:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Compactness. Cool-factor. Evilness, to name a few.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#7]
They just look cool, just like the side folders

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:46:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Congratulations on your promotion to SFC.

Bud
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:26:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I enjoy folders because they are a bit less awkward to carry around. I noticed this right off the bat when I slinged mine over my back to carry around in a rural area. The compactness isn't a big issue, but they do take up less storage space. This a plus- particularly for people who store their firearms in safes.

They make Dianne Fienstein cry, and this is always a plus.

Lastly, they- underfolders in particular- are a part of AK history. I grew up watching news reports, movies, and TV shows about cold war conflicts. The bad guys often had AKs and some of their rifles were folders.

I personally wish someone in the U.S. would make a close copy of the plastic sidefolder the Russians use on their AK-47M rifle. In my opinion it is the best compromise between tacti-coolness and ergonomics.

Galland
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:43:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I recently bought a Yugo underfolder, which I love. IMO, the Yugo AK's are some of the best 7.62 AK's availible, especially the underfolders. I like the longer length of pull that the M70 offers and I also like how it has a "straight line stock". Its not nearly as uncomfortable to shoot as it might appear. The Yugo has increased weight and a staight line stock, which helps to manage recoil. I use recoil buffers in all my AK's and they make a big difference. My girlfriend put 300 rounds through my Yugo yesterday without incident. If it was uncomfortable, she wouldn't have shot it more than once. I personally don't prefer "asian" underfolders as recoil feels more pronounced

and muzzle jump seems to more of a problem. I use AK's as my "truck gun" and having a folder is imperative for this role. AK underfolders are compact without sacraficing shootability as some folders do. With the exception of Chinese Type 56, AKS74 and "Galil" type side folders, I really don't prefer them. They are usually crude steel bars which can be uncomfortable and sloppy. While they are convieniet, they compromise shooting performance. Underfolders are a much better choice for 7.62x39 AK's. Besides the obvious functional advantages, they are extremely cool.
When the next ban comes, they will be worth a fortuen...just like pre-ban underfolders were. The only non-folders I have are post-ban AK's and I won't buy another non-folder.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:59:58 PM EDT
[#11]
How do you get a good cheek-weld on a metal bar?  I think the underfolders look awesome but I can't imagine them being comfy to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:18:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
How do you get a good cheek-weld on a metal bar?  I think the underfolders look awesome but I can't imagine them being comfy to shoot.

Some minor discomfort is more than made up for by the kewlness
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:40:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I have to admit, it ain't the most comfortable thing to shoot, but it is still one of my favorite rifles. I like the idea of adding a buffer to reduce some of the recoil. Anybody else using one?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:20:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:42:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Holy crap!  Fienstein owns a gun!?!?!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:21:16 AM EDT
[#16]

I like the idea of adding a buffer to reduce some of the recoil. Anybody else using one?

Now this is just my opinion but, I have one with a buffer and one without, and I think the one with the buffer kicks more. I think the reason is that the bolt comes back and pounds the buffer, where the one without has some more spring travel to soak up the recoil, just my thought I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:55:50 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Polish PMKMS

i18.photobucket.com/albums/b128/jaodom722/8-11-05a.jpg

Where'd you get the polish underfolder? kit build?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:18:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Come to think of it, that alone is enough to make me want one.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:27:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Galland

img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/FeinsteinHungarianSA-85M.jpg

I think that silly bitch is holding a Hungarian underfolder.  Finger on trigger, but I can't tell if the safety's on.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:57:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Galland

img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/FeinsteinHungarianSA-85M.jpg

I love that picture...lol... the ladies face in the back is priceless...lol...
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top