Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2006 2:30:20 PM EDT
I'm looking to buy an AK47 type rifle but it seems to have several variations.  What is a popular style for shootability and dependability.  Also what is a basic price range.  Any help would be apprecitated.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:31:10 PM EDT
[#1]
One good combination of price and quality is Vector.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:35:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:41:45 PM EDT
[#3]
DEPENDABILITY - This is the hallmark of all AK type rifles...unless you get a lemon, this will not be an issue!

SHOOTABILITY - I think they are mostly pretty similar, but I like the way the Yugo handles because it has a heavier barrel which gives the rifle a better "feel".  I think the Yugo has more practical accuracy due to the beefier bbl and receiver.

The only disadvantage to the Yugo is that the bbl is not chrome-lined, but I think this issue is over-emphasized.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:44:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I would go ahead an pony up the money for an arsenal, the price will still come under any stock brand new AR15 you can buy.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:51:09 PM EDT
[#5]
a quick note because your new at this....do not buy anything that says "Vulcan" "Hesse" or a combination there of. Also stay away from "Joeken" and now with the warnings over with you have alot of possibilities. My self Im partial to Chinese Preban AKs. You can get a MAK 90 and do all the stock changeover or......try Atlantic Firearms...they have a hell of selection of AKs....give yourself an idea of what you want. Vector is good, Arsenal Nevada, alot of the home made guns are top notch weapons and built very nicely. A nice Polish underfolder is a good one, lots of Romanian kit built AKs that are damned nice.Just look around and get some prices then come back here with a short list of what you want and we will tell you the pros and cons of each one. Try Gunbroker to just an get an adea and Atlantic(alot of different variations).
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought an AK underfolder, built from Polish parts, all matching, from ATLANTIC FIREARMS.  I love it!!   Great quality, built on ITM receiver (no gap) and for a great AR15.com price!!  Check them out for all your AK needs!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd recommend an AK with a milled receiver, because that's what I prefer.  I only have two AKs right now; an Arsenal Inc., SA M-7 Carbine and a Gordon Technologies SLR-100.  

My next AK will probably be a Vector Arms underfolder, unless I can get my hands on an Arsenal/Global Trades SSR-85C-2  which has a stamped receiver.

Maybe an AK-74??  Who knows.  Damn AK bug is worse than my AR bug.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:50:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Milled if you have the cash, stamped if not.

I prefer the Maadi (probably because I own one), it is as close to a Russian AKM as it gets.  Best part is  they are not that expensive. Around $350.0 for a post ban.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#9]
VEPR
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:26:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
VEPR

+1

I have only one AK/AR and it's my VEPR II in 7.62x39 and with a 20.5" barrel.  It is solid as a rock.  I have had no problems shooting cheap ammo through it (although that goes without saying for AK's).  I plan to get a Romy or something later just for fun but for now, this thing can't be beat.  Also, did I mention it is all black, that makes it like 1000 times more evil!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top