Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/15/2006 5:21:04 AM EDT
I have decided I need to get an AK-47 variant. Who makes a good one? I see the junk SKS' all the time, but I want a well made AK-47 full length. What should I watch out for as bad? What is a good price?

This may sound stupid but being in the military, I feel I need to get to know our enemies weapon of choice.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:33:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:48:44 AM EDT
[#2]
ARSENAL SA M-7 series, $600 and up ...
OR
Vector Classic, around $450 ...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:47:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I would suggest a 5.56 AK- for accuracy. AR guys hate when I get my 5.56 AK out and shoot just as accurate as they do but in a much more reliable system.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:29:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I would suggest a 5.56 AK- for accuracy. AR guys hate when I get my 5.56 AK out and shoot just as accurate as they do but in a much more reliable system.

+1
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:48:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I heard alot of good things about the VEPR's.  I bought one with the 20.5" barrel in 7.62x39 and love it!  Not a single problem.  Not as "rattle-ly" as some other AK's I've handled also.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:56:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Here is a link to Atlantic Firearms.  They several differant AK's.  Browse their site for some Ideas.

Atlantic Firearms
My personal thought is that your First AK should be 7.62 x 39
Highest quality is split between Arsenal's and Vepr's.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:25:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Baaaahhh an Arsenal!

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:41:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Arsenal by far.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:27:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Baaaahhh an Arsenal!

*Edited*

VEPR's you say

Guys, keep the posts from grossing the mods out.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:56:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Baaaahhh an Arsenal!

img469.imageshack.us/img469/7151/gorec9va3sq.gif

VEPR's you say

Honestly he can't go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I am SOOOOOO TIRED of these threads. I vote to lock them every time they come up!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:09:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I wouldnt buy a WASR, but if you can't flip the $650 for a top of the line new AK from ARSENAL, look at a good used one like a Maadi, or Vector.

Atlantic Firearms is a good start.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:57:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Baaaahhh an Arsenal!

*Edited*

VEPR's you say

Templar, come on, you have to admit that was funny.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:19:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am SOOOOOO TIRED of these threads. I vote to lock them every time they come up!

But that's why we have such a great board....because we have good people to help those that are just beginning to discover the fun of owning an AK.

Come on......give this guy your opinion of what he should get as his first AK.  You may run into him one day at a show, shoot, or wherever and know that you helped him get into the hobby.

KF

762bodydropper: Well EXCUSE ME for trying to jion your little club. Of all the threads to read and participate in on the vast internet you have to bitch about something so mundane. Try what I do: If I see a thread that bothers me or I am not interested in it then I don't click on it.

krinkfreak: Thanks man, I have never messed with AK's. I love my AR's but I have always looked at the AK's in a negative light. Only because I think of all the troops weve had killed throughout history with AK's. It has just always struck me the wrong way.

The more I think about it the more I think it would be wise to know how to operate an AK.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Are you serious? I never thought that any AK was anywhere as accurate as an AR. Wait until the high power guys hear about this. What kind of load are you using at 600?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But that's why we have such a great board....because we have good people to help those that are just beginning to discover the fun of owning an AK.

Come on......give this guy your opinion of what he should get as his first AK.  You may run into him one day at a show, shoot, or wherever and know that you helped him get into the hobby.

KF

762bodydropper: Well EXCUSE ME for trying to jion your little club. Of all the threads to read and participate in on the vast internet you have to bitch about something so mundane. Try what I do: If I see a thread that bothers me or I am not interested in it then I don't click on it.

krinkfreak: Thanks man, I have never messed with AK's. I love my AR's but I have always looked at the AK's in a negative light. Only because I think of all the troops weve had killed throughout history with AK's. It has just always struck me the wrong way.

The more I think about it the more I think it would be wise to know how to operate an AK.

Only way you could join my club is Move to Gerogia, Buy a VEPR, get a "VEPR 4 LIFE" tattoo. GO to the "First Church Of the VEPR" Make a pilgrimage to the Molot factory in mother russia and pledge to follow the way of the Sacred brotherhood of the "Georgia VEPR Mafia"
My point in saying that was the fact that I believe we get this same thread started EVERY day and if people would just read the existing threads or maybe look in the AK reference forum they would find all the answers they could ever need. And being in the military it is your duty, in my opinion, to know everything you can about your enemy.......especially thier weapons. What branch are you in? Do they not teach you this stuff?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:18:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
And being in the military it is your duty, in my opinion, to know everything you can about your enemy.......especially thier weapons. What branch are you in? Do they not teach you this stuff?

Agree with you on being oriented on enemy weapons, but I spent 3 years in the Army and 21 years in the Air Force....I never received one-hour of enemy weapon orientation.  I'm thankful for every thing I have learned from my fellow board members.

Then you should have joined the Marine Corps.........But that does explain alot about you

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Baaaahhh an Arsenal!

*Edited*

VEPR's you say

Templar, come on, you have to admit that was funny.

+1 It was F@@king warped, but it was funny.  I have been waiting 2 months to post that one.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:27:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Welcome To The Dark Side COZ!Its not a "Bad Guy"weapon unless its in the Bad Guys hands,look into the Vector line for your first AK unless one of the other varieties catches your eye!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:51:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks guys, I'm not completely ignorant of these weapons, just never really cared for them. I've always enjoyed good accurate shooting. I've got both of Armalites target AR's (.308 and .223). I like to shoot. I am building 2 more M4orgerys and also have a 20" Colt HBAR.

I am an MP and am Unit Armorer trained also. I spent my active duty time as a patrolman and accident investigator on post (a cop). I was out for 10 years and went back into the Reserves about 2 years ago. I know people with SKS' and the like but I would like to have my own AK variant.

Thanks for your help.

COZ
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:57:45 PM EDT
[#25]
That'll work,just remember the AR and AK are two different animals,both have their strengths and weaknesses.I like em both!Here are my Black rifles,

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:11:34 PM EDT
[#26]
COZ, It all depends on what your looking for in an AK.
Whats the most important factor? If your just lookinng to get familiar with the system and see how it works and dont really care for quality get a wasr.
If you want some thats inexpensive, high quality and will probably outlast you and your kids.....Get a MAK 90.
If your looking for something traditional like a collector or a clone of something your probably gonna have to get it built by one of the custom dealers somehwhere.
If your looking for high end with "I paid too much" bragging rights buy an arsenal.
If you dont care too much for traditional looks and want a high quality, rugged, and more accurate go with the VEPR.
They all work on the same system, I can take parts from my VEPR .308 and put them in my MAK 90 7.62X39 and they work fine. Its all about what your looking for as to what you need to get. All these threads do is end up in a pissing match with everyone trying to tell us VEPR boys that Arsenals are better guns.
What you need to do is figure out what you want the gun for. What are the important factors that will make your decision. Looks? Weight? wood or polymer? durability? calibre? quality? Full stock, Under folder or Side Folder? Krink? Pistol? Blonde or Redhead? Russian, Bulgarian, Chinese or Egyptian? Price? Is this gonna be a safe queen or a shooter? Are you just gonna take it out and blast with it or do you wanna actually hit your target? Do you need a scope rail or not?  Read the boards find out the difference and narrow it down then you can pick alot easier. But we can argue the facts all day about which AK you should buy first and for what reason
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:06:03 PM EDT
[#27]
COZ,

I am not an AK aficionado, but I'd recommend an Arsenal Inc. weapon.  However, a nice Global Trades/Arsenal USA SSR-85C-2 would be a great choice...and you can save money for magazines and ammo.

I personally prefer AKs with milled receivers, but I do have an SSR-85C-2 in my "armory" which has the stamped receiver.  

If you're just starting out, look closely at some of the nicer SARs out there.  Less expensive and great quality for the money.  

Additonally, check out the Vector Arms weapons.  Great "middle-of-the-road" AK.  Quality, exceptional warranty and reasonable prices.  In fact, a Vector underfolder will be my next purchase.  Go Atlantic Firearms for Vectors.  They only use Global or OOW receivers.

Hope this helps.

Bud
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top