Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2006 3:20:18 PM EDT
I've never owned an AK or shot one, but i've been thinking about getting one to add to my Rem. 870 and Colt LE6920. Im trying to stay in the $400 range but have very little knowledge of AKs to know what is a good one to start with or where i can buy one from....Please help me!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:34:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey BlackLex,Welcome to the site! About the only AK in the 400.00 range is the Romanian WASR,you can also find a used MAK 90 in that range.My best advice would be for you to save up a little more and check out the Vector line of AKs.Also,look around the site and check out the posts,you'll find something that catches your eye and that should give you a little better idea of what type of AK you want.Don't hesitate to ask questions,we were all there at one time or another.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#2]
The short answer:

Buy a Vector AK from Atlantic Firearms - Vector AK47

Ask for the AR15 discount.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:51:32 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a guy (jmf) on the Equipment Exchange from WA with a milled receiver SLR-95 with a green 4 piece US stockset for $450.00.  Sounds like a good deal and the price is not bad if the rifle is in good condition.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hey BlackLex,Welcome to the site! About the only AK in the 400.00 range is the Romanian WASR,you can also find a used MAK 90 in that range.My best advice would be for you to save up a little more and check out the Vector line of AKs.Also,look around the site and check out the posts,you'll find something that catches your eye and that should give you a little better idea of what type of AK you want.Don't hesitate to ask questions,we were all there at one time or another.

When you say save a little more are you talking about like $100 more. Uberdog provided the link to a vector AK for $499. When i meant $400 range I was kinda thinking around that area, i've seen a few that were 800+ and wasnt really interested in spending that much money on an AK.

I was getting confused with the different variants of AKs and didnt know which was good quality and what is junk. But the good news is you guys are really helpful!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#5]
You could always do what I did, and build your own.  I am an AR guy and recently cobbled together my first AK (Rommy "G" Kit) with a drill press, dremel, Hammer, bolt cutters, and all thread.  It functions %100 and is fairly accurate by AK standards.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:16:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've never owned an AK or shot one, but i've been thinking about getting one to add to my Rem. 870 and Colt LE6920. Im trying to stay in the $400 range but have very little knowledge of AKs to know what is a good one to start with or where i can buy one from....Please help me!

Good idea, that way you will have 2 guns to shoot.

The AK and the 870....Nobody ever shoots the Colt LE6920's...

Whatever you do get, i guarantee it will not be your last.

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
There is a guy (jmf) on the Equipment Exchange from WA with a milled receiver SLR-95 with a green 4 piece US stockset for $450.00.  Sounds like a good deal and the price is not bad if the rifle is in good condition.

An SLR95 is hard to beat within your budget. Nice gun.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:40:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good idea, that way you will have 2 guns to shoot.

The AK and the 870....Nobody ever shoots the Colt LE6920's...

Whatever you do get, i guarantee it will not be your last.

KyARGuy

haha that might be the case for some people, maybe a lot of people....But I didnt buy an AR to sit around.......I shoot the Colt whenever i get the chance, and if i accidently drop it, i dont freak out and try and find out how i can fix it. Im young and single, so in perfect shape for getting as many toys as i can without having to explain or justify to a wife like some of you other unlucky bastards
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:28:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:40:37 AM EDT
[#10]
My wife makes more than me some weeks. I always tell her that her paychecks pay the housepayment, car payment, and the other payments and my paycheck is for my spending money. And you know what, SHE BUYS IT! lol
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top