Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2006 7:26:46 AM EDT
I just put some money down on a Polytech Legend I found at a local gun store and would like some opinions on what other competitors come close or may even beat it as far as quality and gatta have it factor too. Thanks for your time!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:45:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:54:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Milled Bulgarian for me.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:00:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Are we talking the SLR-95 or was there Bulgarian before that? SLR-95 is about the time I started paying real attention to guns.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:05:11 AM EDT
[#4]
The SLR95 was the first of the Bulgarians,the Poly Tech Legend and the Valmet M62 were the only pre-ban milled AKs imported in 7.62x39.I place the Legend at the top of the list of type III AKs,I love the Valmet M62 but they are very few and extremely expensive.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:07:17 AM EDT
[#5]
well, I had a valmet and sold it for $1200.00 in 1997, talk about regret.......but I found a polytech legend at a gun show minus box and extras for $550.00 out the door.  What a steal!  Now that I have owned and shot both, my choice is the Polytech!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:08:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I think the finish on the Poly makes it look SOOO much nicer than the Arsenal factory finish.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:11:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
....but I found a polytech legend at a gun show minus box and extras for $550.00 out the door.  What a steal.....

Some people have all the luck, nice find!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:48:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Hell yeah, NICE FIND! $550? Lucky!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:50:59 AM EDT
[#9]
This is the first I've heard about the Valmet M62, I'm gonna do some resarch now, thanks guys! I just might have another AK that I'm going to be hunting for!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:48:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a legend due to arrive to my FFL this coming Tuesday, NIB!

ETA: Paid a lot more than $550 though, that is a complete steal.  Nice catch.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:59:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Have both milled receiver Bulgarians and Polytech lengend, and I must say that bulgarians have much nicer/clean machining than polytechs (especially if you check the inside).  Plus they're just more true to the original Russian design, where as the chinese added a few of their own things.

The polished blue finish on the polytech is nice though.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a fixed and a folder Legend - I love them above all other AK's.  The blued finish and pickled wood are great, and their machining is clean and well-executed.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I would say neither is of better overall quality than the other, but I'd bet a new Arsenal would be more accurate than a legend. blued finish on the legend wins over paint of the Arsenal though.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Someone needed to post a photo, so here you go

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:42:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Someone needed to post a photo, so here you go

img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/redfisher19/6c0547fc.jpg

Nice rifle
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Arsenal SAM 7 Classic,

edit to add,I still vote for the Legend!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:50:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Polytech Legend.  I love em  .. One day... They seem to always pop up RIGHT after I make a major gun purchase.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
well, I had a valmet and sold it for $1200.00 in 1997, talk about regret.......but I found a polytech legend at a gun show minus box and extras for $550.00 out the door.  What a steal!  Now that I have owned and shot both, my choice is the Polytech!

You lucky mutha-^%$er,
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:52:30 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Arsenal SAM 7 Classic,

i18.photobucket.com/albums/b128/jaodom722/classic5.jpg

I recognize that one!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:56:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Arsenal SAM 7 Classic,

i18.photobucket.com/albums/b128/jaodom722/classic5.jpg

I recognize that one!

Yep,thats even your floor,my Son In Law is back from Iraq and MY camera went to Ft Sewart,with my Daughter,to greet him!Damn,I miss that camera.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:02:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I was walking around at the Farm Show Complex in Harrisburg, PA at the last gun show and came across dealer with only 1 table, he had 2 ak's, 2 ar's and some other random stuff on the table.  One of the ak's caught my eye because I saw the milled receiver,  I ask the dealer if I could handle it and he replied "yes."  I picked it up and saw that is was a Polytech Legend.  I wasnt excited yet because I didnt look at the price tag, I proceeded to ask him if he had the box and accessories for the gun I had in my hands and he replied, "nope, it only comes with 3 30rnd mags."  Then I fliped the price tag hanging off the trigger guard to see it said $575.00!!!  I was so excited I could have screamed at this point but I didnt let the dealer know I had any interest.  I put it down and acted like I was thinking.......I said to him, I'll take it for $550.00 otd.  He said ok but only with 2 mags.  I talked him into playing rock paper scissors for the last mag, we played and I won.  So Polytech Legend, 3 brand new chinese mags, otd for $550.00!!!  

I know this is hard to believe, a dealer in the business that didnt know the market value of a Poly Legend...but I swear, on my kids that this is a true story.  I saw the same dealer at the Valley Forge, PA gun show 1 week later and he said he had a Hungarian underfolder that he just sold for $800.00 to another dealer.  The "other dealer" put it up for sale on his table for $1300.00  I missed another good deal.  I would have scored 2 weeks in a row!!

i will try to find him at the York, PA gun show next month and post the dealer's info.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:09:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was walking around at the Farm Show Complex in Harrisburg, PA at the last gun show and came across dealer with only 1 table, he had 2 ak's, 2 ar's and some other random stuff on the table.  One of the ak's caught my eye because I saw the milled receiver,  I ask the dealer if I could handle it and he replied "yes."  I picked it up and saw that is was a Polytech Legend.  I wasnt excited yet because I didnt look at the price tag, I proceeded to ask him if he had the box and accessories for the gun I had in my hands and he replied, "nope, it only comes with 3 30rnd mags."  Then I fliped the price tag hanging off the trigger guard to see it said $575.00!!!  I was so excited I could have screamed at this point but I didnt let the dealer know I had any interest.  I put it down and acted like I was thinking.......I said to him, I'll take it for $550.00 otd.  He said ok but only with 2 mags.  I talked him into playing rock paper scissors for the last mag, we played and I won.  So Polytech Legend, 3 brand new chinese mags, otd for $550.00!!!  

I know this is hard to believe, a dealer in the business that didnt know the market value of a Poly Legend...but I swear, on my kids that this is a true story.  I saw the same dealer at the Valley Forge, PA gun show 1 week later and he said he had a Hungarian underfolder that he just sold for $800.00 to another dealer.  The "other dealer" put it up for sale on his table for $1300.00  I missed another good deal.  I would have scored 2 weeks in a row!!

i will try to find him at the York, PA gun show next month and post the dealer's info.  

\

Let me say it again - You lucky mutha-^%&er

I saw a few at the last show here in Milwaukee.  I think they were 750 -which I thought was a STEAL.  of course right before christmas and a wife who threatened bodily harm as I walked out the door if I came home with anything....I did come home with a milled.....airsoft AK....man that sucker zings little yellow things on full auto - leaves welts...I know...it was too cool to pass up.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:15:22 PM EDT
[#24]
It's the cadillac if you don't mind seven inch groups. Hey somebody had to say it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:18:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
It's the cadillac if you don't mind seven inch groups. Hey somebody had to say it.

Damn, I didn't know anyone tried to aim these things????  I just spray
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Rolls Royce of AK = Galil

[flame suit on]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#27]
I vote for the stamped Poly Tech AKS-47 with the underfolding "pig-sticker" bayo as the Rolls Royce.

Better design lines, better furniture, and better handling than the milled Legend.

Blasphemy.  There - I said it!

You guys can have the Legend.  For the money, I'll take an AKS and throw in a nice 84s!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:35:00 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

7" group @ 200 yards maybe...... mine is very accurate,  I have feed her about 250rnds so far.  BTW here is a pic, it's the one with the synthetic stock set.  (I wanted to preserve the original wood so I put the synthetic ones I had laying around on it.  I wanted to take it shootin' but didnt want to ding the wood up, but I don't like to own anything I can't shoot so a quick change to the bulgarian syn. )

the other two are the Vector Classic and Vector Underfolder from Atlantic.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:37:47 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I saw a few at the last show here in Milwaukee.  I think they were 750 -which I thought was a STEAL.  

The last two I have seen advertised were listed for $1,500 and $1,550 respectively

I was tempted even at that number, but passed.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:27:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Anyone with a Legend, I would suggest having the receiver checked for hardness if your plans are for shooting it alot.  The two I've had in the past were not heat treated.....I have no idea how long they'd go before something stretched, gave, whatever, especially since most never shoot them anyway.  Certainly would not be my pick for a "Cadillac".
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:28:56 AM EDT
[#31]
How do you have a receiver checked for hardness?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:09:28 AM EDT
[#32]
The Legend will always be my best "one that got away" story.  Found a NIB Legend with all accessories in a plain brown box for $850.00 at a funshow this summer.   Was on a Sunday, guy would not take a check and by the time I scrapped the cash together it had sold.  So I settled for a Gordon Tech SLR 100.  InRange is milling in the side sling swivel and swapping Hungarian for Russian parts.  Seems like when the fantastic deals appear ready cash is short.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:18:47 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
The Legend will always be my best "one that got away" story.  Found a NIB Legend with all accessories in a plain brown box for $850.00 at a funshow this summer.   Was on a Sunday, guy would not take a check and by the time I scrapped the cash together it had sold.  So I settled for a Gordon Tech SLR 100.  InRange is milling in the side sling swivel and swapping Hungarian for Russian parts.  Seems like when the fantastic deals appear ready cash is short.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:23:26 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Shoot the gun
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Here are the factory dimples (3) where they checked the Rc on a 56s trunion. Between the bolt and the trunion pin. The bolt is also marked. Crappy pic but you get the idea.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:27:07 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Most manufacturers that make metal parts that require a specific hardness will have a hardness tester.  In my case, a good friend takes it to his work and checks parts for me.  LAst Legend I had checked, been a few years, was under 30 Rc so it was still the raw metal, whatever they used.  I still put several hundred round through it before I traded it off but there are better guns out there.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:17:09 PM EDT
[#37]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=122&t=321529

Honey, where did you put the checkbook?  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:34:44 AM EDT
[#38]
How many rounds would be safe to put through a receiver that's only 30 Rc? A few hundred, a few thousand, or what? And yeah, I know there is no definate and that it could fall apart and be junk after the first magazine. What could be done to harden it?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#39]
The Legend.  I still have one.  Sold the other (an UF) years back.  I still regret it to this day.

SM
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:11:23 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I have a 100H that I would like to have a side sling swivel installed on.  What is the cost for the work?  What is the contact info. for InRange?  IM me if you would prefer.

Thanks

SM
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:27:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Sandy Mush, IM sent.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#42]
One thing I hate about the polytech is the pistol grip stud:

you can see that on the Arsenal, the pistol grip stub is riveted to the receiver, sharing the same rivets for the trigger guard and the lower stock tang.  

On the Polytech, the stud is a separate piece that is not permanently affixed to the receiver, it is only held in place by the pistol grip screw, this set up is found mostly on stamped receiver AKs.  Other than the fact that it's not authentic, I don't like it because whenever I remove the pistol grip, the stud would fall off and roll around inside the receiver, I would have to remove the top cover to retrieve it.  A small annoyance.

Also the recoil spring rod...

The polytech spring rod is made of some bent metal and braided spring, really cheesy and a pain in the ass to reassemble if you ever try to replace the spring. It's HELL!

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top