Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 2:16:53 AM EDT
i just bought my first AK-47 rifle. a Armory USA SSR-85-C2. being this is my first AK i want to know who makes the best 30 round mags, where to get them and how much i should expect to pay? other than lot's of ammo are there any other must have items for the first time AK owner? thanks.

ETA, i cant believe i used post # 223 on an AK-47 question.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:50:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Any foreign made mags are good to go.  Alot of people here seem to avoid the US made Promags.  I prefer the Bulgarian waffles, but all of the steel mags seem good to go.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:15:40 AM EDT
[#2]
congratulations on your new AK, gorvibub

In a similar spot as you a couple years back and got the Bulgarian waffle mags and could not be happier

You can find them - among other places - in the Equipment Exchange here, and at K-Var

I paid about $17 each IIRC

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:17:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:08:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Bulgy waffles or the Polish polymers work great.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:26:24 AM EDT
[#5]
www.classicarms.us  has new Norinco 30 round mags for $10 and used 40 round russian mags for $15. I would say any mag thats not made in the US is a rood AK mag.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:59:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted: I would say any mag thats not made in the US is a good AK mag.
+ 1,Welcome to the dark side! Get lots of mags,ammo and mag pouches.

BTW,AKs are addictive,it won't be long before you start thinking about your next one.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:37:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i just bought my first AK-47 rifle. a Armory USA SSR-85-C2. being this is my first AK i want to know who makes the best 30 round mags, where to get them and how much i should expect to pay? other than lot's of ammo are there any other must have items for the first time AK owner? thanks.

ETA, i cant believe i used post # 223 on an AK-47 question.

Excellent choice!  Congratulations!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:45:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll use my 3000 post to congratulate you ..

AK mags are cheap and usually good to go,( as long as there not US made ) so no worries there..Just take it out and have fun!!!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:21:45 PM EDT
[#9]
gorvibub,

May I ask who you bought it from?  

There was an SSR-85C-2 on the AK Rifles forum for sale a short time ago, but he didn't want to sell to me.  I was just wondering if it was the same member.

Bud
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted: I would say any mag thats not made in the US is a good AK mag.
+ 1,Welcome to the dark side! Get lots of mags,ammo and mag pouches.

BTW,AKs are addictive,it won't be long before you start thinking about your next one.

thats what scares me. i already own 4 Colt AR15's 3 striped Stag lowers a Mark 11 Mod 0 from Knights and a Springfield M1A. this does not even include my addiction to Smith & wessom revolvers, 1911 pistols and high end hunting rifle and target rifles. dam, you think they have a Betty Ford clinic for people like me?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:15:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
gorvibub,

May I ask who you bought it from?  

There was an SSR-85C-2 on the AK Rifles forum for sale a short time ago, but he didn't want to sell to me.  I was just wondering if it was the same member.

Bud

if you are talking about the one for sale from (ftnwo56) i tried to buy his from him but things went south real quick. i ended up ordering from www.thearmoryllc.com. they wanted a little too much so i talked them down a little and think i got a fair deal. if that is the seller you were thinking of send me an e-mail or IM and i will give you the details. i dont want to talk bad of another board member publicly.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:26:15 PM EDT
[#12]
so it sounds like with AK mags as long as you go non-us mags you are good to go. this works out well for me as i am only looking at foreign surplus mags. so i guess it comes down to price and condition more so than who made it. also is it safe to assume that all foreign AK47 mags will be preban or are there post ban surplus foreign mags out there too? thanks to all who have welcomed me to the dark side and for all your responses.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Bulgy waffles or the Polish polymers work great.

this is what I was going to say as well.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:40:07 AM EDT
[#14]
ok, i have done a little looking around and it seems like alot of people like the polymers, especially the bulgy ones. why do you prefer the polymer mags over the steel ones. it also seems like they sell for a little more than the steel but alot of people still buy them over the steel mags. why? last are the bulgy waffles pre or post ban mags? thanks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:32:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Congrats on the rifle. As far as mags go I prefer Bulgarian waffle or steel and I also like the one polish polymer one I have but the great thing about AKs is even most of the cheap mags work. Just about anything except the promag stuff is good. If you already had a promag that did not work it might be worth getting a new spring from wolf and see if that helps but I would not buy one.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:22:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top