Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/10/2006 12:36:12 PM EDT
I checked out a newly built 7.62 AK on the wall at MGS.

It was built on a new OOW/ITM receiver, the saftey lever had no gap to the top cover!

I noticed they moved the logo forward between the hammer and trigger pin holes. the dimples looked a little different similar to the dimples on their 5.45 receiver.

Has anyone else noticed the changes?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:46:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:59:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Yes.  They have corrected the gap.

Very good to know.  I'm about to buy one in the near future.

Anything else I need to know about the OOW receiver when doing a build?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:48:39 PM EDT
[#3]
To my knowledge?  No correction has occured.  Until they admit there was a problem, then list the first Serial Number where the problem is corrected?  How are you going to know if you are buying "old stock" or new stock?

Be patient - get a GT.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:32:15 PM EDT
[#4]
At the local shows here the OOW are $90 and the GT are $60

The GT's are fully heat treated and the OOW's are only spot treated. Not a huge deal, but I like the GT's better. Save $30 on them and GT is totally the way to go.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I checked out a newly built 7.62 AK on the wall at MGS.

It was built on a new OOW/ITM receiver, the saftey lever had no gap to the top cover!

I noticed they moved the logo forward between the hammer and trigger pin holes. the dimples looked a little different similar to the dimples on their 5.45 receiver.

Has anyone else noticed the changes?

the gap is fixed I compared one from about a year ago to one from a month ago
the gap is gone
the logo is rotated a little  
the dimples do match a 5.45
the old 7.62 ones had a shorter dimple length

so yes they did fix it
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:43:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I have another question regarding OOW receivers.  I've heard that the receiver is too long and if you don't grind/cut it down a little you end up with problems getting the dust cover to fit.  Is this true?  If there was a problem with this has it been fixed too?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:23:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have another question regarding OOW receivers.  I've heard that the receiver is too long and if you don't grind/cut it down a little you end up with problems getting the dust cover to fit.  Is this true?  If there was a problem with this has it been fixed too?

Whether it is too long or not, the way to get a good fit is not to rely on the rec length, but rather build it out in such a way to fit right.

Before you pull the barrel, take the prepped barrel assembly and rear block, and install them on the rec. See if you can fit the dust cover on with little or no trimming, and make sure the front end of the rec fits well in relation to the front trunion, mag, and rails. For GT rec's I have never had to trim anything.

Rivet in the front trunion first, then install the bbl. Locate the exact placement of the rear block by fitting the dust cover with it. If the rec sticks out past the rear block, trim it. It should not be too short, as you checked for this in the first steps...

A poorly fitting dust cover just sucks, and is easily take care of with a little time during the build.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:03:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whether it is too long or not, the way to get a good fit is not to rely on the rec length, but rather build it out in such a way to fit right.

Before you pull the barrel, take the prepped barrel assembly and rear block, and install them on the rec. See if you can fit the dust cover on with little or no trimming, and make sure the front end of the rec fits well in relation to the front trunion, mag, and rails. For GT rec's I have never had to trim anything.

Rivet in the front trunion first, then install the bbl. Locate the exact placement of the rear block by fitting the dust cover with it. If the rec sticks out past the rear block, trim it. It should not be too short, as you checked for this in the first steps...

A poorly fitting dust cover just sucks, and is easily take care of with a little time during the build.

Thank you.  That's good advice for someone who is going to do is first build soon.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:10:39 PM EDT
[#9]
oh yea, they fixed the 47 selector hole all right,  

they also made the rear of the rails/truinon better, so the BC doesn't pop out and hang up easily...

on the down side, the receiver is STILL to tall, by about 1/8" so when you build it, the mag sits to low. actually, this is an old problem, it also makes using USA mag followers feed unreliably.

The new problem, is the rails in front where the trunion fits are about 1/4" to big, and bent at the wrong angle.

the 74  fit the front trunion beautifuly, but on the whole it required a lot of tuning to keep the bolt from hanging up. at least the 74 has the mag sitting in the correct possition. oh and the hammer hole seems to sit way to high.

overall I'm not to impressed

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:59:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Well - I keep seing "fixed" - but with a constantly missing piece of data:

What is the serial number of the first "fixed" receiver?  Until you have this, you do not know what you are getting.  No Serial number?  I discount that there has been any "fix".

Conversely - when a company makes no differentiation in product models?  How do you know that tomorrow, at 3:45, you are going to get the same product?  Come on OOW - take a course in basic Marketing and QC...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#11]
the logo is about one inch forward of the previouse location also.

But I slipped a front trunion in there, and it had a 1/8" gap on one side and was flush on the other.

TO fix the TO LOW mag I rests the rails on a flat chunk of steel and gave the TG rivets a good wacking, crushing the receiver inwards there about 1/16" enough to give reliable feeding (no bolts riding over shells) it bulged out the receiver a little, but the only other choice is massive overhall.

which involves cutting the stop and extending the mag catch, PITA

it still looks good. can't even tell er something
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top