Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 11:30:15 AM EDT
I figured I cant spend the $500 right now on a arsenal or vector ak. Im gonna have to go with a SAR or WASR, from what is looks like the SAR is more desireable. From what Ive seen, the WASR's look like crap.

Are the SAR's on any recievers or parts kits that I should avoid? I know to look for cant, is there anything else to check before purchase?

TIA
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:51:55 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:Are the SAR's on any recievers or parts kits that I should avoid? I know to look for cant, is there anything else to check before purchase?TIA

The SAR's are a factory built gun, it will have a Romanian receiver
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Some WASRs look better than SARs.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I think the key word is "some"

Just inspect the WASR before you buy it. With some TLC they can look as good as a SAR.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:20:01 PM EDT
[#4]
The WASR can make a decent "starter AK" as long as you know what to expect.  They tend to have some bugs that need to be worked out.  

Bugs= rough finishes, trigger slap, canted sights, tight-fitting mags, ugly furniture.

All of these can be fixed.  On the 2 WASR's I owned, I just sprayed the thing with high-temp flat-black paint like people use on auto exhaust systems.  Furniture is easy to come up with, you can get it on EE or many companies that sell AK parts.  Trigger slap can be fixed without spending any money by taking a little off the disconnector (let me or someone else know if you want more info).  Many people just replace the trigger group with a G2 from TAPCO or elsewhere.  If it has tight-fitting mags it is easy to fix by milling a little off the mags where it contacts the mag release or by milling a little off the release itself.  The best way to avoid trigger-slap is to eyeball the front sight before you buy it.  If it looks good and straight then it should zero in okay.

Like most Century guns, don't expect it to be perfect out of the box.  However, like most Century guns, the bugs tend to be the kind of things that you can fix yourself.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:41:47 PM EDT
[#5]
The WASR can make a decent "starter AK" as long as you know what to expect. They tend to have some bugs that need to be worked out.

Like most Century guns, don't expect it to be perfect out of the box. However, like most Century guns, the bugs tend to be the kind of things that you can fix yourself.

What Bubba said,

It is a little point but one that bugs me, the dam dimples, I wish it had the dam mag dimples!  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I dont mind fixing little bugs, in fact it gives me something to do at night. What I dont want is to save $75 or 100  and then end up spending more on fixing the bugs.

So would the concensus be that SAR's need no tinkering?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:56:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:29:18 AM EDT
[#8]
 There are a lot of WASR's around, spitting out a lot of 7.62 millimeter, happy and hot.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:05:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I say forget a SAR and a WASR and pick up a nice Maadi, they can be had for just a few pennies more than a SAR and are ten times the gun in my opinion. Try to find a pre century gun too, like an ARM model. Canted sights and gas blocks are very rare on the maadi. The Maadi is a close copy to the original Russian AKM, its just made in Egypt. McM
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:11:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:06:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top