Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/8/2006 10:50:12 AM EDT
I have a MAK-90 from about 12 years ago that I don't shoot much.

I got a set of US stock, pg and forearm set along with Tapco's US trigger/Sear/hammer pack couple years ago that I installed recently.  I have shot few hundred rounds after it was all installed and never had any problems with it.  Last week I took it out and shot some rounds int it again but noticed something.

When I shoot it rapidly or just jerk the trigger everything is okay but when I out it on the bench and pull the trigger very slowly the guns will shoot two or three rounds.  I tried cleaning the gun, add oil to the trigger mechnism and disassemble/re-assemble the trigger group and it still does it.  After couple times I got kicked off the range for having un-safe weapon.  I have the trigger group apart and I have not noticed any broken part or unusual wear.    

Any suggestion on how to fix this "problem"?

BTW.  Is it illegal to have a weapon that can go full auto due to broken or damaged part?

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:54:39 AM EDT
[#1]
yes that is illegal(stupid, but I dont write the laws).  I would check for a damaged disconnector spring.  another possibility is that you are unintentionally bumpfiring it off the bench.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:54:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know much, but I do know that is illegal and it is your responsibilty to fix it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree with Redhorseman.  Sounds like you might be bump firing it.  I have had that issue with my M1A match trigger before.   I learned to control it by pulling through and deliberately holding the trigger to the rear after each shot.  In addition the rifle has to be held firmly to alleviate as much bounce as possible.    
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:06:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Any suggestion on how to fix this "problem"?

BTW.  Is it illegal to have a weapon that can go full auto due to broken or damaged part?

1. Replace all defective FCG components with quality US made components ASAP. Destroy defective components.

2. It is illegal to own a firearm which fires more than one shot per single trigger pull, no matter how it is done or from what cause. If a BATFE agent can make it fire more that one shot per tigger pull, without tools or physical aids, it is a machinegun! And Believe me they will try if they think they can.

3. Now that you have announced this to the entire internet, you might want to fix it ASAP.

If you pull the trigger once and it doubles, that's not a bump fire, BTW. Now if the trigger bounces back and forth, well that's a different story. But that is not what you described.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:16:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I agree with Redhorseman.  Sounds like you might be bump firing it.    

THIS does not sound like "Bump firing" to me.

Quoted:

When I shoot it rapidly or just jerk the trigger everything is okay but when I out it on the bench and pull the trigger very slowly the guns will shoot two or three rounds.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:30:08 AM EDT
[#6]
How tightly are you holding onto the rifle on the bench? If you are holding it loosely, it possibly is bumpfiring.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I agree with Redhorseman.  Sounds like you might be bump firing it.    

THIS does not sound like "Bump firing" to me.

Quoted:

When I shoot it rapidly or just jerk the trigger everything is okay but when I out it on the bench and pull the trigger very slowly the guns will shoot two or three rounds.

which is why I instructed him to check the disconnector spring
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:04:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Let me clarify couple things:

1. Most were doubles and I believe I only had one triple

2. This was not bump fire effect.

3. The double and triple fires occured even when I held the trigger back.

4. The trigger group was US made double hook type from TAPCO

5. I have the trigger group out of the gun right now.

6. All trigger parts and springs are in good condition.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:18:58 PM EDT
[#9]
in that case pull the firing pin and clean it and its channel
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I aint tryin to start a argument here.. But, if it is not doing it during rapid fire. then moslt likely there is nothing wrong with the rifle , and that the doubles are being cause by a "Bump Fire" type sitiuation..
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:26:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Try taking your top cover off, pull the trigger and work the action by hand.  Hold the trigger down and see if your disconnector is catching the hammer. Then release your trigger and see if it resets or if it follows the carrier.  If you have a tapco G2 FCG they have a light pull weight and you could be bumping your rifle by pulling the trigger just far enough to fire and then the recoil is causing the trigger to pull again.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like it has a small case of "slam firing".  Take the bolt out and make sure the firing pin is good and clean.

Were you using foreign ammo or US ammo (Rem, Win, Fed, etc).  The US ammo tends to have softer primers than the foreign ammo.

This condition can be very common in SKS's.  I know that this in an AK, but the firing pin can get dirty or possibly wasn't cleaned adequately when new.  Without actually experiencing this myself I can only offer suggestions.  Hopefully this will help fix or narrow your problem.  It is definitely not safe.

DK
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:39:38 AM EDT
[#13]
The firing pin is moving freely okay but I had cleaned it anyway with some carb cleaner.
The ammo was the typical Wolf HP from Sportsman Guide.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:35:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I'll bet on a bad sear.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:40:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'll bet on a bad sear.

+1
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:02:06 AM EDT
[#16]
my sar-2 did the same thing, I installed a G2 trigger group from tapco and it solved the problem

hope this helps
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
my sar-2 did the same thing, I installed a G2 trigger group from tapco and it solved the problem

hope this helps

This is a Tapco trigger group.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:52:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hope this helps

return it and ask for a new G2 FCG group, explain what is occurring. I don't think TAPCO will argue with you.

This will help rule out the FCG as the issue.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:57:56 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

hope this helps

return it and ask for a new G2 FCG group, explain what is occurring. I don't think TAPCO will argue with you.

I just called Tapco and they said to return it and they will send a new G2 fire control group.
Tapco seems to have good customer service.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:01:09 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

hope this helps

I just called Tapco and they said to return it and they will send a new G2 fire control group.
Tapco seems to have good customer service.

TAPCO is OK. You just have to watch it or you can pay a lot for shipping.
I prefer to order from guys like www.gunpartsguy.com who charge no shipping fees. But you have to order from the vendor who has the parts you want.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:14:47 PM EDT
[#21]
I saw this happen once due to an FCG pin backing out just enough that the small end left the hole.

This resulted in enough slop with the sear that it would burst fire.

TheOtherChris
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top