Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/7/2006 8:12:23 PM EDT
Haven't seen much talk on what really happened on 12/31...........or have I missed it some where?
So what's happening? Are they really banned???
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:56:14 PM EDT
[#1]
ya i think no more military barrels to come in to the US
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:30:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Seems to be the usual: ATF decides to enfoce a ruling they weren't. Confusion follows. ATF sends a letter clarifying their position. More confusion.
  Now I guess if an importer can prove the barrel is going to be used in a 'sporting' configuration the ATF will approve the form 6. Barrels probably won't be coming in with kits anymore. (Hard to prove a barrel included with an assault rifle kit is sporting) That's my understanding of the situation. Which is of course liable to change as quickly and often as ATF or DOJ mood. Others here may have more intimate knowledge of things as they currently stand.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:36:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Seems to be the usual: ATF decides to enfoce a ruling they weren't. Confusion follows. ATF sends a letter clarifying their position. More confusion.
  Now I guess if an importer can prove the barrel is going to be used in a 'sporting' configuration the ATF will approve the form 6. Barrels probably won't be coming in with kits anymore. (Hard to prove a barrel included with an assault rifle kit is sporting) That's my understanding of the situation. Which is of course liable to change as quickly and often as ATF or DOJ mood. Others here may have more intimate knowledge of things as they currently stand.

That's about where I'm at as well..Mostly just confused..
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:02:15 AM EDT
[#4]
So, an intact rifle can't be imported because it doesn't meet the "sporting" definition. However, with the required number of US parts to satisfy 922r, it can then legally be assembled. Does it then qualify as a sporting suitable weapon?
I never have been real clear on any of this.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:10:23 AM EDT
[#5]
So just send strip barrels in and we are SAVED.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:37:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Well i dont know either.....

Guess i'll have to write a letter to Tech branch for a clarification ...........:)  JK!!!!

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:48:57 AM EDT
[#7]
clear as mud
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:17:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I can't say for sure, but two things have changed at the typical parts kit dealers websites:

1.  Most of them have disclaimers on the kits saying they can't be used to build a new weapon, only for replacement parts, or simply now refer to them as "replacment parts kits"

2.  Century Arms has a new batch of AMD-65 kits for sale and lists that they have removed the barrel and receiver "Per ATF regulations."

That is the only signs of what the new ruling has done.  I woudl say in 3-4 months when the pre-2006 imported parts kits run out is when you will start to see what the ruling really means based on what dealers (and prices) are doing.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:44:46 AM EDT
[#9]
In my mind, I see three points to the issue:

1.  My interpretation of the ATF letters.
2.  My thoughts on the legality of the ATF letters/actions.
3.  The ATF's actual actions from this point on.

None of the three may overlap.  Thus, I am in "wait and see" mode.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:18:17 PM EDT
[#10]
tag for someone who might know........
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:29:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I do not think the ATF knows at this point.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do not think the ATF knows at this point.  

When did not knowing how to enforce a ruleing ever stop the BATFools from trying anyway?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:44:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:09:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Nobody understands the definition of "dual use" barrels and justification by the importers on the Form 6
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:11:32 PM EDT
[#15]
OK.........I still corn-fused!!!

Seems like we can still have kits without barrels. Can we put new barrels with them and build guns...ie...Century?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:40:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Seems like we can still have kits without barrels. Can we put new barrels with them and build guns...ie...Century?

Yep.  Barrels are the only issue.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The barrel is the most expensive part
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:21:17 PM EDT
[#18]
All they need to do is apply for the form 6 and see if it is accepted. Dont know if there is a fee for the form 6 or not. I'd like to here if any have been denied from a good source and what they where for. I don't think it will affect many of the bulgy kits at all since alot are not threaded. I also wonder how many other countries do like the chinese and not thread them all. Of course you know that dealers will not tell the truth now because they are trying to push over priced kits.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:28:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The barrel is the most expensive part

Thats the idea.

Banning gas blocks really wouldn't do a whole lot
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:56:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Sure it won't. Hell first they ban the gun, then the reciever, barrel, gas block, etc. Take it out a piece at a time and were left with shit except a 1500 american made ak. I don't know what they are doing but someone just needs to get off their ass and tell us so we all quit wondering what the hell is going on.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Where is Century getting barrels for the Yugos?
Didn't think anyone except Arsenal were making them.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I have begun to acquire tools for builds.  Should I even waste my time with the ban?  Or should I scoop up kits left and right while I got the cash?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top