Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/7/2006 1:27:22 PM EDT
Well, after 13 years I finally own an AK again. Specifically a Global Trades/Arsenal USA AKM with Bulgarian plum furniture. I have a couple of questions. The charging handle will lock to the rear when pulled back whether there is a magazine in the gun or not. A little bump and it slam forward just like on the M-1/M-14. I think I've heard of this being common on Global Trades receivers, but don't remember. Can  anyone shed some light on this?
Also I picked up two plymer waffle mags to go with it. They lock in place, but seem to have quite a bit of wobble to them, while the metal magazine that came with gun is rock solid. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#1]
usally the poly mags are alittle thicker
it sounds like someone has messed with them or they are out of spec

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:18:27 PM EDT
[#2]
like socandyman said, the Bulgarian waffle mags are usually tight, but Promag makes a crappy knock off, you may have those.

the bolt carrier catching is typical of most AK's, just don't use it as a bolt catch with a loaded mag inserted.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:04:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:56:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The charging handle will lock to the rear when pulled back whether there is a magazine in the gun or not. A little bump and it slam forward just like on the M-1/M-14. I think I've heard of this being common on Global Trades receivers, but don't remember. Can  anyone shed some light on this?

If it has a G2 FCG it will do that. If it's a G2 it will be stamped Tapco ...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:15:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Your carrier is normal, and will wear in with the hammer in time.

Yep, every AK I've ever seen does it a little bit.  Everything from my bros SAR1 to my SAM7 and ORF krink (which does it pretty bad).

No big deal.  Just don't ride it forward at all and it won't hang up there.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:00:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies. I took a good look at it with the receiver cover off and it  is catching on the hammer assembly. So no worries there. I think the mags are Promag; I got them on sale for $14 apiece. I should have know it was too good a deal. Guess I'll stock up on some more regular mags and see if I can pawn these off somewhere. Thanks for the help.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top