Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2006 5:28:37 AM EDT
I'm thinking of dropping the $ on an Ultimak, but don't want to waste any more money on "experiments".

I need to know from those that own and use them on their AK's:

1)  Does it really hold zero, I mean, truly.  No drifting, etc.  (I understand that if you disassemble and reassemble it, it will not retain zero.

2)  I know the gas tube usually gets quite hot on my rifles, have you seen any effects on your optics, etc from the heat?  I understand that a scope may not  be effected too much, but battery operated optics like an Eotech or Aimpoint, etc?  (I'm sure anything with plastic is bad, the gas tube gets damn hot.)

Please help me save $, or spend it wisely...  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:56:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I have an Aimpoint mounted on an Ulitmak on my SAR.  I have not gotten to the range to shoot it since mounting it.  The mount seems very sturdy.  The only negative so far is that I can not co-witness the iron sights.  I have the Aimpoint in a quick release mount.  

Ron
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:32:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I put a Ultimak on my MAK-90 and I think it works great. I would buy another one if I had another AK to put it on.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:35:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one on a Vector and it works great with my Eo tech.

Slug-O
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:50:50 AM EDT
[#4]
So far so good, thanks guys.  Still curious about the heat issue, though.  I would have to think all that heat must cause some sort of problem with the electronic optics, no?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:04:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So far so good, thanks guys.  Still curious about the heat issue, though.  I would have to think all that heat must cause some sort of problem with the electronic optics, no?

ditto on the heat  question.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:14:53 AM EDT
[#6]
1) yes
2) no

Here's the deal. I've participated in testing UltiMAK's products for years - I know Lyle, the inventor, and used to hang out at UltiMAK's shop every day. As a tester, I have been very critical of UltiMAK's products - causing several design revisions. There are two design revisions on the ACR2 that are directly due to my testing.

As an owner, I am very happy with the products. They do what they're supposed to do and do it well. The current generation of the gas tube mount is awesome.

For heat - I have shot rifles until the snow would flash into steam when it landed on the optics (EOTech, Aimpoint) and not seen any problems. I still have and use those optics today.

The other issue is that under aimed fire, you're not going to get it that hot. The UltiMAK has the minimum contact patch with the barrel possible, and your optic has a limited contact patch as well.

I have no financial relationship with UltiMAK, but I do wish to see Lyle do well. I know that repeat sales and word of mouth have a lot to do with this - if I thought the product was shit, I would say so.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:45:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I just picked one up this past week used from a friend.
I was going to put it on a SIAGA but it wouldnt fit with the stock forend on it,
so i decided to try it on my AK-74. I like how it sets up and seems rock solid so far.
I havent had a chance to shoot it yet, but i see no problem in the way it works so far.
I dont beleive that heat will be an issue, because of the aformentioned relayively small
mounting contact area on the barrel.Yes it will pick up some heat but i dont really plan
in getting it smoking hot when i shoot it anyway.  It has a laseraim 30MM red dot on it
and it doesnt co-witness but it doesnt matter to me. Aquiring the sight is fast and easy
with no trying to find the dot by moving your head around.
I can also mount a 2X pistol scope with QR rings on it and use it as a scout set up.
Very versitale to say the least.

It is a great product and im sold on it.

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:19:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Somone needs to post pics!

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Somone needs to post pics!

Ultimak's web page has lots of photos.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:05:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Pic of my set up fresh off the digital camera.
(Corrected for bad link)

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:55:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I will post some photos soon but do not worry about the heat on the Ak. I do 75 round mags and its just fine!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:05:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine is rock solid and absolutly holds zero. I love it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:56:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Doesn't quite do it justice
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top