Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 4:01:05 PM EDT
I was spying on the AR "my rifle has more junk than yours" guys and found this.
http://www.coloradoshooting.org/ar_refinishing.htm
http://www.johnnorrellarms.com/
Looks very promising and cheap...Although not as cheap as a can of Dupli-coat High temp spary and bake....
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:26:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd just gunkote it myself if I were you, all it takes is an oven and a $40 airbrush.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Gun Kote or Moly Resin.  I have a Badger 350 airbrush but I've found that the cheapo airbrush at Harbor Freight ($5 on sale) works well too.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:46:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:24:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Gun Kote works great and I'll be trying DuraCoat this spring. Sandblast the rifle first for best results and use K-Phos before using Gun Kote. I use a cheapy $20 airbrush from Harbor and I made a sandblaster for $20 total from stuff at Home Depot and I've gotten excellent results ...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:34:34 PM EDT
[#5]
K-phos is supposed to be the proverbial "shiznittle-shiz-bang-bang"(to put it in "urban" terms) but I've had great results with naval jelly and a cheap $0.50 paint brush from ace hardware, plus it is way cheaper if you're doing it on a budget
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:37:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
K-phos is supposed to be the proverbial "shiznittle-shiz-bang-bang"(to put it in "urban" terms) but I've had great results with naval jelly and a cheap $0.50 paint brush from ace hardware, plus it is way cheaper if you're doing it on a budget

An even cheaper product is Jasco Prep & Primer.  I dilute the Prep & Primer with water, heat to a soft boil, remove from heat, add metal parts for about 15 minutes, remove metal parts, rinse with hot water and then spray with some WD40.  Jasco Prep & Primer is just phosphoric acid and will give the metal a quick park job.  It's certainly not the prettiest park job but works just fine if you're planning on putting paint, molyresin or gunkote over it.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top