Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/5/2006 4:29:49 AM EDT
Anyone have any experience with this company? Most specifically the SW5. thanks!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:37:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I had one!  It was a total POS.  It looked cool, but would stove pipe with the hottest ammo.  It never shot a complete mag without a jam.  The guy who bought it from me, thought he could work out the bugs.  He finally gave up and sold it at a gun show.  I've heard that there G3's function better, but the SW5 has a bad rep.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:48:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:55:22 AM EDT
[#3]
They sure are "special"
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:05:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Let me put it this way....

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:11:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Let me put it this way....

i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/thedoctors308/Humorous/callout_shane.jpg

muhahaha.....
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:21:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Special Weapons makes stuff that no one else does.  Their early work was spotty at best, but I have the TN SL8 to G36 conversion kit, had the TN USC to UMP grease gun conversion kit (now have the TE conversion), a Bobcat Weapons BW5 and a Bobcat Weapons BW89.  The only problem I had was with the BW5 and it just required me to replace the extractor spring, took all of 2 minutes.  As a matter of fact, I had more problems with my Vector Arms V53 than with either Bobcat guns.  Just an FYI, Bobcat Weapons and TN (Top Notch) are just other companies run by Todd Bailey.  He may be a jerk but he is bringing to market products that no other company has or will.

Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:20:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't understand why you would have to replace the extractor spring on a new weapon that costs  more than a thousand dollars.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:42:22 AM EDT
[#8]
THE EVIL TOAD
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:11:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Read for yourself.....http://www.ohiorapidfire.com/
and click todd baily
Make up your own opion do your own research decide for yourself....I have nothing positive or negative....
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:08:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I don't understand why you would have to replace the extractor spring on a new weapon that costs  more than a thousand dollars.

Apparently a large batch of rifles went out with substandard springs.  They sent me a replacement for free and all was good.  I never said that they are perfect as a matter of fact Todd is an asshole, but the fact remains, they are the only game in town for alot of products.  If you don't like it, don't buy it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:22:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I love mine.  It works perfect.

I wanted an HK94 clone and they are the only game in town.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:59:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I got a SW 52 looks like a mp 5 but takes AK mags, I was having alot of problems with it and sent it back to them I was told that I needed the X upgrade for 150.00  (it was kinda like buying a car and when you ask the dealer why it doesn't move he says that you need to buy the tranny upgrade)and when I got it back I was still having the same problems with it  POS Never again for me.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:26:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Ok, I have to jump in on this one.

SO I buy an SW5, for the same reason everone else did...An HK 94 clone for less than $3000? I bought it 5 years ago, so it was one of the cast receivers.  

It arrives, out of the box begins stove piping, FTE with empty brass falling behind bolt, the typical problem most had with the weapon.  Shame on me, I failed to do research.

Ok, so I contact SW, who says it takes anywhere from 150 to 500 rounds to break in the gun.  I'm sorry, and those of you out there who disagree can blast me, but I introduce over 100 new guns per year to my officers, and we do not "break them in" prior to distribution. This includes AR varients, HK's, Glocks, Remington rifles etc.  I contact Mr. Bailey, who is a jackoff over the phone (nothing new to those who have dealt with him).  Basically, I got a run around because I purchased the weapon from dealer who we buy department firearms from.  WTF?  How are we supposed to buy his weapons?  Unwilling to do anything about it, and blaming it on anything from ammo (I was using ammo used in our SRT team's MP5) to magazines (HK date coded), I was forced to do my own leg work.

After doing some belated research, I found a reputable builder by the name of Jayson at Investment Grade Firearms (www.investmentgradefireams.com).  I had Jayson install a Murry Urbach MP5 barrel (what a waste of a beautiful barrel on a POS weapon), replace the various G3 components in the weapon with appropriate HK94 items, and a new ejector to boot.

Cost:  $1300 for SW5
           $400 for barrel
           $900 for IGF work
Total:  $2600 and guess what?  The weapon still FTE's!.  

Jayson at IGF has offered to work on it till it functions, but he has a waiting list a mile long, and right now I just don't want to invest good money after a bad piece of equipment.

Jayson has an exremely reputable business, and is highly sought after.  Even SW aka Toad Bailey can't say anything bad about him.

I have enough of a background serving as an armorer to know that problem in large part was bad design concept and execution.  

To those who have functioning SW's, my hats off.  Most, I am told are the newer versions, not the "cast" receivers.  Ok, perhaps true.  So, if I use that logic, I'm basically paying $2600 to be a beta tester for a firearms manufacturer?  

I can't do anything about being screwed, but I promised Toad that I would make sure not one of his weapons were ever used in any SMG or weapons course I teach in the midwest, and to date not one agency has asked me to change my stance (MO, IL, KS or IA).  

I have made it my crusade to ensure not one police officer ever has to risk his or her life with any of the garbage SW, BobCat or whatever Toad is calling himself this month is producing.

Not sure if this sufficiently cover's your question, but hope it helps.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:18:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Todd Bailey. A legend in his own mind.  Perhaps one of the most abrasive, opinionated gun makers ever to disgrace the Great State of Arizona.  A man who proves (again) that an oft told lie becomes the truth and turns BS to chocolate fudge.  A man who set the standard for financing a business on money received for products not yet built.  A man who defined "any day now" using the solar days on Jupiter.  A man who runs a web site for the sole purpose of trashing his competitors.  A man with the business disposition of a scorpion who will turn on his own kind in a NY second.

OK, that's the bad side of Todd Bailey and Special Weapons, LLC.

Now for the good side.

Most all of his weapons are way up there in the cool factor.  Some of them actually work (my cast receiver SW5-PDW is one of them.)  He has learned from some of his mistakes.  He paved the way for other start-up gun makers in a decidedly anti-gun business atmosphere.  He made waiting 3 months to ship a paid-for product acceptable. He's a Republican.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:37:47 AM EDT
[#15]
"Photo of rip off artist being sued!
...innocent customer defrauded by Todd bailey"

http://www.ripoffreport.com/images/reports/55501-ripoffcom.jpg

In 7/1998 I purchased a SW-5. I was given an introductory price of 700 dollars which would be delivered in 3 months. Instead I waited 16 months for receipt. In 11/1999 the contract introductory price of 700 dollars was raised under blackmail to 998 dollars. The rifle which I was promised was substandard. It jams to this day do to miss matched parts and rattles because of poor installation. I was promised a firearm which was better than the real thing a HK94 heckler and hoch and instead received a dangerous firearm which was thrown together with a distinctive spatter weld technique.

So I forwarded a copy of the e-mail to Todd and his response was (in its entirety) "What the F*ck do you want me to do about it?!

Then on 01/00 I discovered that Mr. Baily double charged my credit card and shipped me merchandise which I did not request. Go figure instead of fight it I just accepted this error and decided to move on.

Here is my take on Todd and Wendy Bailey from Special Weapons
He is a jackass who does things that border on criminal. He has also got to be the crappiest businessman alive, and is an inverterate, compulsive liar. All I ask for is an apology and refund of the difference between the introductory price and the rip off 11/99 price gouge.

Here are my problems
#1 After 160 rounds the front site fell out due to the fact that the roll pin was never inserted.
#2 plastic lower has developed considerable lateral play from front to rear.
#3 Front forearm is exceptionally loose and where the front pin goes through to hold it on contacts the barrel and cocking tube and has already started to gall both areas.
#4 Firing pin head has started to mushroom
#5 Ejector face has started to mushroom
#6 The mag well is off spec and mags rattle or fall out becasue of disporporting.

Nick1
Annon ville, California
U.S.A.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rebuttal Consumer Comment
Submitted: 10/23/2005 10:41:21 PM Modified: 10/23/2005 10:41:21 PM

Oddities about SW/Todd Bailey

Over the past several years Mr. Bailey has spawned new companies to market the same product lines as the previous. This wouldn't be so odd except that in this industry it tends to coincide with certain "flaws" either in the product or the corporate structure. This is commonly seen in companies like Lorcin, Jennings (which recently resurrected as Jimenez Arms), HiPoint and other companies marketing a product of questionable quality. Here's the list of companies so far:

TACTICAL WEAPONS TRAINING ACADEMY INC

COHAIRE ARMS, INC.

COHAIRE ORDNANCE FACTORY INC.

OMEGA ARMS, INC.

SPECIAL WEAPONS, INC., A CLOSE CORPORATION

ACME PARTS INC.

BCH MANUFACTURING, LLC

TOP NOTCH ACCESORIES, LLC

TOP NOTCH ACCESSORIES, INC

BOBCAT WEAPONS INC.

I've seen examples of his product that were of good quality and others that appeared to be built from a parts kit and items found in the recycle bin on the side of the house. Anyone considering buying a SW/Bobcat/Omega/Cohaire product should inspect it closely and confirm the warranty coverage before purchasing. One might also do a simple internet search for "Special Weapons +Todd Bailey" or "Special Weapons +Toad Bailey" and read the associated information. The product is hit or miss, the company well......never mind. My .02

Joe - Casa Grande, Arizona
U.S.A.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:39:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the input everyone, good and bad.

I got a chance to inspect and fire the weapon. Externally, the gun looked really good. Upon taking the gun apart I found the firing pin to be peening, did not notice the ejector. The internals looked OK. Took the thing to the range and shot it. Nothing special on accuracy, which surprised me as accuracy is one of the big pluses to an MP5, right? When I shot the gun, it felt like three separate parts moving in slightly different directions, kind of scary. The front handguard was loose, the mags were loose, and finally, the fake can (which was supposed to be about a $150 addition) got launched down range. Did not make it through 100 rounds. Needless to say this has quenched my thirst for one and I do not own the weapon.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:28:41 PM EDT
[#17]
LOL

In my line of work as a security technician, life and death depends not only on the amount of firepower at my disposal but also how reliable it is. I am proud to say that I use Todd and Wendy for all my weapon needs.

They sure came in handy two summers ago in Angola. I needed one hundred Hammicher-Schwaab HS187D's FedExed ASAP, as well as 10,000 rounds. They had them to me in two days, and when we were through with the rebels they didn't know what hit them. We made such an impact that all we had to do was say Todd and Wendy and the rebels threw up their hands in surrender.

When it comes to exotic weaponry, I use Special Weapons exclusively.

Rennie - Fayetteville, Arkansas
U.S.A.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:41:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm sure someone in your "security" position has heard of Singleton International.....Ask Phil what he thnks of SW and Toad.

For those who dont know, Phil is conisdered one of the experts, the  epitome of all that is HK94'MP5.  Do a Google search.  Phil is something of a god amoungst those who work with weapons.

Phil does not hold a high opinion of Toad.  That in itself is enough for me.

I'm done.  I don' want a flame war, and SW is like religion or taste in music; everyone believe's their's is correct, and everyone else is wrong.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#19]
can i get a link to the Special Weapons website?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:49:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Bwahahahahaha    Post of the year!!

Quoted:
LOL

In my line of work as a security technician, life and death depends not only on the amount of firepower at my disposal but also how reliable it is. I am proud to say that I use Todd and Wendy for all my weapon needs.

They sure came in handy two summers ago in Angola. I needed one hundred Hammicher-Schwaab HS187D's FedExed ASAP, as well as 10,000 rounds. They had them to me in two days, and when we were through with the rebels they didn't know what hit them. We made such an impact that all we had to do was say Todd and Wendy and the rebels threw up their hands in surrender.

U.S.A.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:36:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Todd is definately a character, there is no denying that.

I've had two SW guns and have been as happy with them as I am with my SAM-7 classic.  The SP-10 was an awesome gun and my SW5 rec and parts kit assembled into a beautiful, reliable gun.  

I think the older SW5's were pretty hit or miss, but the newer stuff (bobcat weapons) are for the most part good guns.  I wouldn't mess with the new 10mm of 40cal guns though... those are just a big bag of problems.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:11:55 AM EDT
[#23]
IN re-reading JimBeam's posting, I noticed it was a re-print of some earlier arguments regarding SW by another individual on another site.  If it was offered in jest, I appologize.  

Toad will always be a sore spot for me.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:58:42 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
LOL

U.S.A.

I wish I could take credit.  I found it on the link concerning the lawsuit.  I think it was meant as jest.  Otherwise Todd exported weapons to Angola without an export permit which I think is a no-no.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:13:15 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
can i get a link to the Special Weapons website?

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/hkforme/swland.jpg
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:37:46 AM EDT
[#26]
LOL!@!!!!

Thank you, that was the best diagram representing the world of SW I think I've ever seen!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:26:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Anybody know what a Hammicher-Schwaab HS187D is?

Perhaps my google-fu is weak, but I cannot find such a critter.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:47:22 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
LOL

U.S.A.

I wish I could take credit.  I found it on the link concerning the lawsuit.  I think it was meant as jest.  Otherwise Todd exported weapons to Angola with an export permit which I think is a no-no.

Actually it sounds like one of Toads bogus "support" posts....he has been known to register under various names and post how great the guns are....actually sounds very much like the mall ninja posts
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top