Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/3/2006 12:27:41 PM EDT
Thinking about ordering a Vector semi RPD this week. Anyone have any feelings or opinions about them? Anyone have one?

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:50:50 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Thinking about ordering a Vector semi RPD this week. Anyone have any feelings or opinions about them? Anyone have one?

Don't buy one.

Buy two, and hire some mexicans to feed you the belts
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:57:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought one a few months ago - certainly glad I did.
Downside is is that now I'm getting this thing for belt guns so I want to add an MG34 then maybe a 1919.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#3]

"Buy two, and hire some mexicans to feed you the belts..."

oh man.....that's not very nice   lol
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#4]
when the goverment pays me back the free loan i gave them im so gonna get one.

ive wanted once since i saw one.

i plan to melt the barrell on the first day to the range. gonna need more ammo!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:08:38 PM EDT
[#5]
does anyone know if anybody has a rpd and put a 1000 thru it yet?

just wondering how they function...
thanks
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:46:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Downside is is that now I'm getting this thing for belt guns so I want to add an MG34 then maybe a 1919.

I got the 1919 a couple of weeks ago. 7.62x39 is cheaper to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:42:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Considering the RPD is shooting Chinese ammo I bought up years ago, I'll do the same thing with a 1919.....I have quite a bit of .308 and haven't shot my FAL in about 10 years :)
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Considering the RPD is shooting Chinese ammo I bought up years ago, I'll do the same thing with a 1919.....I have quite a bit of .308 and haven't shot my FAL in about 10 years :)

I've got about 15K of 7.62x51 on hand. FA tends to expend quite a bit of ammo, not too mention all the Title I rifles
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:29:23 AM EDT
[#9]
you should buy a 7.62 minigun.........yes
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:18:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Are the Vector receivers any good?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:55:21 PM EDT
[#11]
IMHO, get the 1919, it's probably a better gun.  But if the RPD does it for you, then by all means, go for it.  Get both, anyone ?  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:19:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I saw a RPD on gunbroker at less than retail.

Last I heard there was a 6 month wait from Vector.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:45:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Mine is comming next month dealer cost of 1750.00 I cant wait. McM
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#14]

they are worth every nickle !!  :):):)
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Already have a 1919, and the dealer cost on the RPD is under $1700.  Vector has them in stock and will be shipping Tuesday. I'm supposed to call them tomorrow to confirm.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:16:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

they are worth every nickle !!  :):):)

If they are so good, why the hammer?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#17]
The hammer is used to knock the shit eating grin off your face after you shoot it and to ward off the range gawkers
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:46:53 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Already have a 1919, and the dealer cost on the RPD is under $1700.  Vector has them in stock and will be shipping Tuesday. I'm supposed to call them tomorrow to confirm.

Here are some tips that may help you out:

(1)  After reading the manual, be aware that takedown seems a lot more complicated when you read about it then when you actually do it.  (2)  Read about the recoil spring in the buttstock and then carefully check to make sure it is locked in position before firing the rifle.  It probably came undone in shipping.  If it isn't locked, the bolt carrier won't return with enough force to strip the next round and the assembly may come shooting out the back of the buttstock when you open the trapdoor to fix it.  (3)  To close the top cover, the stud on the top of the bolt carrier has to be all the way forward.  (4)  To find the front sight adjustment tool, take apart the broken shell extractor in the cleaning kit.  The middle section has a square hole on one end to adjust the front sight.

Here is a good description of break-in stolen from a poster on another board:

"It does have a break-in period. It needs to be oiled more than some guns until it wears in. Keep some WD-40 around. I recommend that rather than break free, because it is a light oil and will assist the break in. After 1000 rnds, use a heavier oil. The trigger group needs to be kept oiled too. The clearances are so tight it can bind and the trigger will stick back. Again, it all works in after 1000 rnds."

Tri-Flo works good, too.  Very tight tolerances to start out.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Didn't commit fast enough on the RPD, so I missed the current stock. I'm first on the list for the next set of bulds and was told I should have it in hand in two weeks.

Vector AKs are sold out through March, Uzi's til February. Only thing currently in stock aree some of the V53 variants.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#20]
RPD came in today, and went right back to Vector for repairs.

The gun would not charge (you couldn't pull the bolt back with the top cover closed).

Took out the micrometer and the bearing on top of the carrier was larger than the channel for the feed pawl arm.

Called Vector and talked to Glen, the RPD tech. His comment was "How did we test fire it that way?" (I didn't bother to state the obvious).

Turns out there are two different parts sets that they are building guns from; the parts are not completely interchangeable; one of the differences being the top covers.

Vector is sending a UPS pickup tag tomorrow; hopefully I'll get the gun back fairly quickly, thought I'm looking at at least two weeks just in shipping time.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#21]
awww man , thats the worse. i hope it works out for you.it amazes me how some of these
guys ship thier stuff ....
i really want one of those too.maybe just an honest mistake.
keep us posted
thanks
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top