Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/2/2006 5:32:04 PM EDT
My father really wants one of these, he knows it's not a true drag, but wants one to shoot. The ones I handled gave me the impression they were as easy to take care of as an AK, is this true? Also, what about magazines, how hard are they to find and for how much?

Also, I figure I'd ask, would the Tokarev SVT 38 or 40 be a better shooter?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Its just a big ass AK, so its a piece of cake to clean and all.

I love mine.  It seems to be decently accurate.  I shot a 1 inch group at 50m when I was getting it on paper with very little effort.. so it should be capable of a decent group at 100.

Just make sure you use light ammo like the 148gr stuff wolf makes.  The heavy ball will tear up the rifle.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:20:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I want to get a FPK also. Do they sell any stocks that have skinnier pistol grips? The original looks uncomfortable. Dskeet, what scope do you use?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:28:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Just out of curiousity, is it okay to shoot the Polish light ball stuff? I believe the bullet weight is 148gr, but I'm not entirely certain.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Just out of curiousity, is it okay to shoot the Polish light ball stuff? I believe the bullet weight is 148gr, but I'm not entirely certain.

That will work fine.  They are a fun rifle.  The ammo is cheap.  They are accurate, I'd grab one if you see a good deal on it.  Make sure to get one with the Romanian made reciever.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#5]
All my wolf is 200grain. do they make 2 different weights?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:56:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:15:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I want to get a FPK also. Do they sell any stocks that have skinnier pistol grips? The original looks uncomfortable. Dskeet, what scope do you use?

Mine came with the POSP 4x24.  Thats all I have used.

Now that I know the rifle is reasonably accurate I want to get one of the 8x POSP scopes.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#8]
i love mine!,....i have used the corrisive light ball stuff in a green can and the  M-30(j) stuff,...i can hit anything within 300m with the iron sights,. and out to 600m with the 8xPOSP scope.

you can even bump fire it,.. which makes a crazy ass fireball out the end.

cleaning is a piece of cake,...after all it is a AK on  steriods

if you do get one,....do look for a real romanian made one.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:19:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Now anyone know where I can find one of the "Made in Romania" ones? Neither of us will deal with SOG, so they are out.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:35:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Overall I didn't like my PSL mostly because of accuracy reasons. While it's a fine rifle if you consider it to be a large AK47 and is definately fun to shoot, I personally had lots of trouble getting tight groups and never could get a batch that would fire well. Tried Wolf, Czech, WWB and a no name surplus and would get at most 2 shots in a pattern with the 3rd shot and others being fliers.

For me it was very frustrating. I have no illusions about it being a magical sniper rifle but I couldn't for the life of me get it to become a consistent shooter of any group size. In addition the only scope I could get to seat properly was the Romanian 4x24 which worked fine, but the Russian 8x42 POSP's I bought for it were pointed so far down that I had to slip the reticule all the way to zero it and this left no room to adjust for elevation. I had a very hard time getting it on paper at 50 yards.

Postive side was that it was extremely easy to clean, never jammed or had an FTE and looked pretty cool. I had very reasonable expectations for it's accuracy, but for whatever reason mine just never shot that well. Maybe mine was a lemon, I can't say for sure.

In the end it was not really a good rifle for me so I sold it, but many other people I know have gotten good results from theirs and in the long run I'm still glad I bought it, at least I know a little something about them.

Z

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:39:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
All my wolf is 200grain. do they make 2 different weights?

That would be grueling outta my Drag,stick with the light ball.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
For me it was very frustrating. I have no illusions about it being a magical sniper rifle but I couldn't for the life of me get it to become a consistent shooter of any group size. In addition the only scope I could get to seat properly was the Romanian 4x24 which worked fine, but the Russian 8x42 POSP's I bought for it were pointed so far down that I had to slip the reticule all the way to zero it and this left no room to adjust for elevation. I had a very hard time getting it on paper at 50 yards.

Did you loosen the screws on the elevation knob so you could fully adjust it?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes ineed, thats what I meant by slipping the reticule. I guess I could have been more clear, now that I think about it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:16:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Mmmm....PSL

Hey, does anyone know if the scope is suppose to sit so far forward on the RAIL?  It seems to be locked in?    I haven't shot this one yet so I have no comment on accuracy.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:40:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks normal to me, the SVD mount slides all the way forward, the AK mount goes forward but is stopped by the rear of the rail.

SVD Mount:

AK Mount:

Z
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:43:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:40:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Mmmm....PSL

home.earthlink.net/~tlzkaasen/images/PSL%202.jpg

home.earthlink.net/~tlzkaasen/images/PSL%201.jpg

home.earthlink.net/~tlzkaasen/images/PSL%204.jpg

Hey, does anyone know if the scope is suppose to sit so far forward on the RAIL?  It seems to be locked in?    I haven't shot this one yet so I have no comment on accuracy.  

Which scope is that?  Does it sit centered over the bore?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:50:32 AM EDT
[#18]
8x40 pso - yes, it seems centered to me.  does it look off?

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:58:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
8x40 pso - yes, it seems centered to me.  does it look off?

Nope looks fine.  I was just wondering because the 4x scopes some PSLs come with sits way off to the left.  I'm looking to replace mine with a higher powered scope that is centered.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:20:45 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Looks normal to me, the SVD mount slides all the way forward, the AK mount goes forward but is stopped by the rear of the rail.

SVD Mount:

207.235.120.203/file/zenrifle006.jpg

AK Mount:

207.235.120.203/file/zenrifle038.jpg

Z

hey whats on your rear sight block? mine does not have anything written/stamped there
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:51:57 AM EDT
[#21]
I want a ROMAK or PSL
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:05:09 AM EDT
[#22]
I think I want one too!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:15:13 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SVD Mount:

207.235.120.203/file/zenrifle006.jpg

AK Mount:

207.235.120.203/file/zenrifle038.jpg

Z

hey whats on your rear sight block? mine does not have anything written/stamped there

Its something like this:

FPK Dragunov
7.62 x 54r
Made in Romania
TN Guns

Mine is the same way.  I believe its a kit built rifle.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:18:35 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I think I want one too!

Damn,  I better start scarffing mags up!  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:26:39 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think I want one too!

Damn,  I better start scarffing mags up!  

You're safe,at least for now,I'm still working on getting my Tigr ready.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I sold it, but it said

FPK Dragunov 7.62x54R
Made In Romania
TG Knox TN F0599

Z
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:25:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I sold it, but it said

FPK Dragunov 7.62x54R
Made In Romania
TG Knox TN F0599

Z

Mine says that on the underneath of the receiver. - next to the magwell
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:13:52 PM EDT
[#28]
thats a kit gun
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
thats a kit gun

Looks pretty good though - huh?  Hmm ... all in spec too

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Which one is a kit gun? How canyou tell they are or not?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Which one is a kit gun? How canyou tell they are or not?

If the gun is marked FPK, SSG-97, or Romak 3.. its a kit build.

Its the same gun either way, one was built here and the other over there.. no big deal really.

EDIT - Now that I think about it I think the SSG-97 is the name the imported put on the Romanian built guns.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:06:40 PM EDT
[#32]
I can't seem to find them on the interordnace site...

Any other places to check out?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:24:42 PM EDT
[#33]
What is the actual difference between a PSL and an authentic Dragunov? From what I understand, it isn't just a matter of collector's value, but of actual mechanics and operation. But I’ve never been able to find out what the difference actually is (and have never had the opportunity to handle either one)
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:59:17 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
What is the actual difference between a PSL and an authentic Dragunov? From what I understand, it isn't just a matter of collector's value, but of actual mechanics and operation. But I’ve never been able to find out what the difference actually is (and have never had the opportunity to handle either one)

The PSL is an AK on steriods (even takes std AK fcg's) whereas the Drag has a short-stroke operating system, milled receiver and trigger pack that are very different. In 7.62x54 accuracy can be very similar but in .308 the NDM-86 Dragunov leaves 'em both in the dust. HTH...
Tomac
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top