Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2006 5:31:15 PM EDT
I got a nice pile of Wolf 762x39 for Christmas and went to the range today to shoot some off.  When I checked my guns at the desk I was told I couldn't shoot my Wolf ammo because it was "armor piercing" and would dammage their range.  I wound up buying all of the Remmington rounds they had in stock (2 boxes hen
I called a few ranges only to find the same thing.  No Wolf ammo allowed.

WTF?  I'm not going to spend $13 on 20 round boxes of ammo.  I shoot at Bass Pro Shop's indoor range.  It's best range I've found in Metro Detroit.  I guess I'm going to have to find an outdoor range.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#1]
thats bs wolf isnt ap
wish it was but it isnt
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:34:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:36:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Big misconception,a magnet sticks to the bullet so it has to be AP!Wolf is lead core with a steel  bullet casing.Its far from AP but you can't convince a know it all Range Master that.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#4]
It depends on the round, some are Bi-Metal some are copper.  Bi-Metal is copper over steel.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It's not AP but it's steel jacketed and some indoor ranges are paranoid about it's use.

It is? I thought it just had a copper jacket.  Steel-cased, but that's irrelevant.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:40:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It depends on the round, some are Bi-Metal some are copper.  Bi-Metal is copper over steel.

Interesting
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#8]
They got you to buy their over priced ammo so it worked.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#9]
That's what I figured.  Another range I called told me I would have to buy their ammo.  I guess a box of 20 is $15.  I told them where to go.

Does anyone know where I can find brass reloads?  I'd love to see the look on the Range Master's face when I come in sporting a huge pile of brass rounds I didn't buy from their store.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:53:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Some ranges I have been to did not allow Wolf pistol ammo. I always figured it was because they did not want to separate steel from brass.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:57:09 PM EDT
[#11]
You must be talking about double action as far as not letting you use wolf ammo, its been like that for a few years now and it sucks, they dont even allow ak's to be shot there no matter what ammo you use. Then you must have been talking about target sports, they let you shoot an AK or an AR but you have to buy their ammo, they can both go to hell, thats why i go to the "pit" up in Lapeer. McM
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#12]
My range does not allow Steel casings.  They don't want to seperate and whoever they sell their used brass to does not want any steel in it ....  

They said if I pick up my casings I can use it.  Might need to get a brass catcher ....  :)
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:15:03 PM EDT
[#13]
most of all places wont let you bring your own ammo because they need the money to run the shooting range. Same with paintball arenas. If I owned a shooting range, I wouldnt make people buy my ammunition as a prerequisite just to shoot at my range. What a rip off.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Steel cased or steel core ammo is generally not allowed it indoor ranges. I have been going to indoor ranges since the late 70's, has nothing to do with some ammo selling scam. Next time you have to wait for the guy at the end of the range to get done welding holes up in the back stop it's because someone snuck steel core centerfire ammo in.

Sometimes I think we take for granted that we have anywhere to shoot at all these days. Keeping an indoor shooting range operating is a massive pain in the ass to say the least. I personally applaud those who own indoor ranges.

Just like I wouldn't piss on my buddies toilet seat when I am at his house, I shoot the ammo that the range asks me too.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:01:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You must be talking about double action as far as not letting you use wolf ammo, its been like that for a few years now and it sucks, they dont even allow ak's to be shot there no matter what ammo you use. Then you must have been talking about target sports, they let you shoot an AK or an AR but you have to buy their ammo, they can both go to hell, thats why i go to the "pit" up in Lapeer. McM

This was at Bass Pro Shop at Great Lakes crossing.  It's the best indoor range I've found so far.  You hit the rest right on the head though.  Double Action won't let me in the door with my AK and Target Sports would make me buy their overpriced ammo.

Where is exactly is The Pit?  I live in northern Oakland County and I understand it's not too far away from me.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:56:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This was at Bass Pro Shop at Great Lakes crossing.  It's the best indoor range I've found so far.  You hit the rest right on the head though.  Double Action won't let me in the door with my AK and Target Sports would make me buy their overpriced ammo.

Where is exactly is The Pit?  I live in northern Oakland County and I understand it's not too far away from me.

Here is where the pit is at: Link If you know where the Lapeer Drag Strip is (AKA Lumpy Lapeer) just keep driving down that road for about another mile. It's a big gravel pit kind of area on the right. Trust me, you'll know when you found it. Just look at the ground. Oh yeah, enjoy!!

Kris
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:04:33 PM EDT
[#18]
what he said
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:37:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Oh yeah. Shooting at the pit is what it would be like to target shoot in heaven.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:59:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Heres a pic of some of my rifles at the "Pit." McM
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:32:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Heres a pic of some of my rifles at the "Pit." McM
i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/onebigjoe/thepit005.jpg

Thanks. I almost forgot what it looked like without snow.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:40:33 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
My range does not allow Steel casings.  They don't want to seperate and whoever they sell their used brass to does not want any steel in it ....  

They said if I pick up my casings I can use it.  Might need to get a brass catcher ....  :)

or a magnet.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:04:28 AM EDT
[#23]
The local matches I attend do not allow any steel content in the bullet itself. The reason is we shoot at a lot of steel targets, and they tend to tear them up. The copper jacket Wolf has been my only ammo I can use when I shoot my SAR-1.....but now, I think the Cheetah, and some of the Yugo surplus fits the bill too.

Here's a pic of the copper jacket Wolf box........but good luck finding any, it's damn near impossible sometimes. ( and no, you can't have any of mine... )

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:48:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Alot of indoor ranges make you buy their ammo period.  Some of it has to do with EPA regs on indoor ranges(lead content and what not.)  Another part is liability of someone using handloads.  I know that is not the case with steel cased ammo, but it is easier to just regulate it that way.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:51:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I love wolf ammo for the AK, but at the indoor range I shoot yugo surplus (if I can find it).

The steel inner jacket in wolf may be bad for the backstop.

In reality, though, the steel case is the real safetly hazard.

The floor in all the indoor ranges I have been to is concrete.  Steel cases bouncing off of concrete can generate sparks.  I know, there is a sizeable fireball coming out of the muzzle, but it isn't on the floor.

Next time you are at an indoor range, while there is a cease fire or after the range shuts down, look in front of the benches at the floor.   What you will see looks like dust, but is in fact unburned powder.  I have swept this up before, and there is a sizable quantity after only a few hours of rifle shooting.

However unlikely, a steel case impacting the floor could cause a spark and ingite the powder.  The resulting flash and subsequent burn would be bad for everyone.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:21:52 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The local matches I attend do not allow any steel content in the bullet itself. The reason is we shoot at a lot of steel targets, and they tend to tear them up. The copper jacket Wolf has been my only ammo I can use when I shoot my SAR-1.....but now, I think the Cheetah, and some of the Yugo surplus fits the bill too.

Here's a pic of the copper jacket Wolf box........but good luck finding any, it's damn near impossible sometimes. ( and no, you can't have any of mine... )

www.photobucket.com/albums/y121/Unka-Boo/wolf.jpg

Same here, i was lucky enough to find a vender who had a pallet of the stuff at the last gunshow, and a friend split a case of it..

it would be nice to take out a peice of steel like thouse used for the targets and test bi metel on it.. i have a feeling that it might not go through the target but may very well crater it..

if your at an indoor range every single one i have gone too has not allowed any wolf ammo no matter the bullet matrial.. what they say is that the powder is harmful and posionus *as compared to the other brands...* it deffently does smell differnt.. but if your outdoors and shooting paper i dont see any reason why they wouldent allow wolf..

Jess

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top