Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/2/2006 4:00:56 PM EDT
Do you need an air compressor?

I have an AMD.  I can use the spray-on Dura-Bake and then bake the gun, but what about the rubber buttpad? Will it melt?

Any experiences out there?  Do you need to bake the gun if you use the Dura-Bake?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:45:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't used DuraBake, but I have used GunKote.  From what I know about DuraBake you would need to bake it otherwise if you use a solvent on it the paint would come off.  The baking actually cures the paint as is the case with norrells and gunkote (KG Industries).  If you don't want to have to bake it you can use the normal duracoat.  As far as plastics/rubber goes I wouldn't recomend baking it at 300 degrees.  People have had success using duracoat or baking for cooler for a longer period of time on things like plastics.  

Here is a picture of the AK i GunKoted "Flat Black".  I detail stripped it and painted the parts as opposed to painting the whole thing.  You "can" paint it without pulling it appart, but I would recomend painting individual parts as it will come out better.  

-C4-
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:39:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I just did an AK in Aluma Hyde II from Brownell's.  All of the spray and bakes require you to remove the original finish, normally with an abrasive blasting.  Also, my Wife wasn't very happy about baking the parts in the oven.  Aluma Hyde comes in an aresol can and can be sprayed right over the existing finish.  The directions say it needs a week to cure.  I hung the parts in a closet with a space heater at 100 degrees and it cured in a few days.  The finish looks great.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want a proffecional finnish look on it you do need to spray it with a air brush and compressor, and most of all you need to bake it. I have done about 30 rifles so far and only the first one turn out shitty   ...

I did not use the proper steps and thought I would save time.
Another thing is that you should Parkerized  what ever you are spraying, Paint adhears better and will withstand nicks and dings !!

On the Butt Pad as long as you bake it at 100 or so degrees you willbe OK. Also check if it is glued in other wise it will come off !!  

Durabake is ONLY made for use on the Barrel parts or where ever it is going to get Hot as it harddens when it gets Hot. I would stay away from that since it's use mostly on High Heat parts Barrels flash hiders Gas blocks etc...   and it tends to brake off on cold parts !!  

Just my 2cents      
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top