Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2006 7:14:52 PM EDT
My dad has been collecting for years and years now and has had the same fully auto weapons since the early 80's. Arent fully auto's banned now to civilians in Texas unless your a dealer? He is not a dealer but still has several fully automatic weapons. I really dont know how to ask this question but he couldnt get in trouble for owning them now huh? Although he's had them for over 20 years. And what about him shooting them in his backyard. And just to note he is very much out of city limits and has a good bit of land that he lives on. In other words can he take these fully-auto's in his backyard and legally shoot all he wants to without getting in any trouble. Just a question ive been thinking about. I dont know anything about fully auto's i only collect handguns and thats it but does it all. Thanxs.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:20:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Since we all know your Dad is a Law Abiding Citizen and its NOT Illegal to own Transferable Machineguns providing the paperwork and tax stamps have been taken care of,there should be no worries.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:21:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't matter how long he's had them, if he doesn't have a tax stamp, its a problem. If he has it, all is well and he can keep them...just be careful with future changes in ownership.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:21:22 PM EDT
[#3]
As long as he acquired his full autos legally, he is good to go.

Unless a local law prohibits it, he can shoot them in his backyard if he wants to.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:21:58 PM EDT
[#4]
as long as the guns are in the NFA registry for your dad they are fine, you and I can both buy and own machine guns today that were made before the 1986 cutoff, they are just expensive.   There is just a $200 tax stamp you apply for through your local CLEO and BATFE to transfer a machine gun into your name once you have bought it.   Only class III dealers with demonstration letters from CLEOs or USG can make NEW machine guns after 1986.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:28:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
as long as the guns are in the NFA registry for your dad they are fine, you and I can both buy and own machine guns today that were made before the 1986 cutoff, they are just expensive.   There is just a $200 tax stamp you apply for through your local CLEO and BATFE to transfer a machine gun into your name once you have bought it.   Only class III dealers with demonstration letters from CLEOs or USG can make NEW machine guns after 1986.

Oh ok i see well i'll have to tell him that. He has purchased them legally.....in fact he is friends with a certain judge in our area...(which i wont say his name) but he did purchase them from him and a local police department during the early 80's when they used to have the police auctions. Ok well this much has helped. Thanks alot guys.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top