Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2006 1:53:59 PM EDT
Got a PSL a few months back. Its pretty clean and solid and shoots nice. But the damn thing jams albanian which I don't use anymore, polish silver tip and occasionally on wolf. No problems out of czhec silver tip. Some times I can pull the bolt back and slam it back down on the empty case and get it to eject. But the other time I have to use a flat blade to get it out. The chamber is clean and I really dont see a bur in there. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:27:49 PM EDT
[#1]
This never happened to anyone else?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#3]
The shell is locking up in the chamber after fired. The shell sticks, extractor breaks loose and the bolt tries to load another shell into the empty case stuck in the chamber.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:41:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Got in a hurry I ment extractor. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:58:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:58:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got another spring already. The reason I was asking if it could be anything else is because whenever I let the bolt go back down it will not always pull the round out of the chamber and it is a bitch to get the extractor to break loose agian. The extractor spring seems fine it looks like the round is swelling too much and getting stuck.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:22:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Try swabbing the rear of a fired case with an ink marker and cycling it thru' the chamber.  Then examine the base of the case for scratches.  

Just a very small sharp burr or 'edge' at the chamber mouth could keep the case from popping loose when the extractor pulls it.  A strip of wet/dry paper on a dowel can fix that.  

Also check to see if the extractor contacts the edge of the chamber when the bolt slams closed -- This could be causing the burr.

Ed: Doh, Just check to see if there's 'anything'  pounding the edge of the chamber when the action closes...  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Bend a long piece of wire into a small "L", and take the fired case, and if you feel inside the cartridge towards the bottom, if the chamber is oversized, you can sometimes feel where the case stretches by a thinning of the case wall.

I used this method to determine why a M44 carbine was locking up and making extraction difficult. Its easier to feel it on a brass case as it stretches easier, but you really can feel the case wall going thin and going back up to normal.

The case expands part of the way into the chamber, a few thousandths, and makes the fired case bell shaped, and you have to pull that bell out of the back of the chamber.

If you think that the round is swelling, over sized chamber or excessive headspace would be my first thoughts, especially with a rimmed cartridge.

The wall thickness on Mil spec cartridges is thicker than commercial, so one type, may have thicker walls, and expand into the chamber less than the others, a brass cartridge should be even worse, as it expands easier, and actually molds itself to a rough chamber, like Com bloc guns usually have, and it fits even more tightly....
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:52:17 PM EDT
[#11]
"over sized chamber or excessive headspace would be my first thoughts"

GOOD first thoughts... you really want to recover a few ejected cases - then check for a slight concentric bulge near the rear of the case.  If you see any of these?  I would strongly recommend having your rifle checked for excessive headspace.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I actually couldnt see the bulge on the M44 I was diagnosing because the laquer on the wolf made it tough to see the bulge, which in this case was only in part of the chamber, whether it was a soft spot in the chamber, or possibly was the result of rust that was cleaned up I could never tell, plus it got worse the hotter the barrel got, so I had to take a few shots to heat it up and aggravate it.

So with lack of the visible evidence, I used the old "feel for stretch" in the inner case method, I have noticed brass cases show a more visible stretching than steel.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:06:58 PM EDT
[#13]
"I have noticed brass cases show a more visible stretching than steel"

YES - they will.  And using your fingers, eyes closed, is not a bad way to detect a bulge at all...
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#14]
i had this happen in a M-44,....the primer was set back to far and was breached when the pin hit it,..
and the case stayed in the chamber after i opened the bolt,..i had to use the cleaning rod to knock it out,...

on your PSL i would say take a good look at your extractor and spring.
and dont use the albanian stuff anymore
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:07:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:23:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know if the Romak IIIs utilize a chrome-lined chamber and bore, or did they not chrome their designated marksman rifles?

i dont think so,..they should all have the same parts,...same gun,just diffrent names
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:00:52 PM EDT
[#17]
sounds more like a rough chamber to me-possibly not as well polished as should have been before chroming-I had to condemn over 1000 brand new Chinese AKs downrange for a similar problem
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top