Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/31/2005 12:32:54 PM EDT
So I was all pumped yesterday... I was going to the range and shooting my krink and PSL for the first time.

Me and my brother get there and we get all set up.  There is a decent amount of people there  First up for me is the krink.   I get it out and set it on the bench.  Right away the questions start.  What kind of gun is that?  Is that a rivet or bolt build? Is that made by krebs?

I don't mind quick little questions, so that wasn't a big deal.  Its all part of having a fairly exotic gun that people don't see much of.

So I shoot some rounds, having fun with my little flamethrower.  Then come more questions about the fake can.  If thats not a silencer what is it?  Blah blah blah.  How long is that barrel?  I tell him its about 8.5 inches but with the fake can its just over 16.

Then some other guy asks how long the barrel is.  I tell him the same answer, and he starts trying to tell me it only looks like 14 inches to him.  WTF.  Son of a bitch is trying to catch me with an illegal gun or some shit.  I give him the name of the dealer that transferred it to me last week and tell him to take it up with them.  I'm getting a little pissed now.

So the other guy that was asking about the barrel length starts talking again.  Suggesting I SBR it and all.  I tell him I plan to when I get the money.. then he spouts off some totally inaccurate info about what it costs.  Then I tell him I also have to wait until I don't live in military barracks... well shit that was a mistake.  Now he just wants to talk about the military.  Its like he is one of those guys that never joined but thinks he knows everything.  This guy just won't shut up.  During one period where the range was hot I got to fired exactly 5 rounds.  I'm really getting aggrevated with this guy... I'm too nice to just blow him off, especially since this is a members only range and I'm a guest,  He disappeared during the next cease fire.  Oh yeah, this guy was also straight up AMAZED that this AK cost, as I put it, "ALOT more then $300."  

So I get out the PSL.  I immediately start hearing guys all around me going "oooooh a dragunov!"  I didn't want to, but I just went along with it.  I wanted to correct them and tell them the difference between a PSL and a drag, but I never would have gotten to shoot it if I did that.  The guy that was saying my krink barrel looked too short was suddenly my best friend.  "Thats a NICE rifle man.  I use that in battlefied 2!"  hahaha oh man.  But my strategy worked... I didn't tell them its just a PSL, and they didn't bother me at all and I actually got to shoot it

This happens alot at that range..heh.  Its a really nice range.  Everyone is nice there... but I guess they don't see many guns other than the standard stuff.

Oh yeah, both guns work great  Krinks are freakin sweet.  The PSL rocks too.  I was going to zero it but it was getting dark.  I just got it close(it wasn't even on paper at first)... its a few inches low and left at 50m, but its pretty accurate.  With no real effort on my part it did 1 inch group at 50m.. so I figured at 100m it will be plenty accurate for me.  

Yeah long post.. whatever.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats exactly why I go to the range during bad weather,I'd rather deal with rain and snow than inquisitive people when I'm trying to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:48:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I am glad you like it!  I miss her.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#3]
That reminds me, I need to get some $ together and get my form 1 in to build my M92. I would enjoy the distractions sometimes but I definitely see your aggrivation. Some people just don't know when its time to move on.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:37:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Show up at the range with plum furnature an listen to the deer hunters laugh at your purple rifle......
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:40:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Today was beautiful, rain was turning to snow and the only sound you could hear was the stuff hitting the roof in a soft pitter pat.  The my bud Andy showed up with his nephew from Cali.

The AMD ran flawlessly, the Romie build same, the Imbel Fal almost flawlessly  .

Andy's nephew  was new to the dark side so we broke him in right.  I doubt he will ever be the same.  .

There have been times I have been at the range, opened my cases and was inundated with questions regarding the collection.  I kinda dig it.

Then again my range is only 4 miles away so trigger time is not a problem.

I guess it is sorta like owning a hot rod (at least for me).  You build it, you take it out and ya show it off.

I really dig when someone wants to shoot one of em, man I wish I could tell you how many people say, thats it, where can I get one of these things!

Zing, the hook is set!!  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:55:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

There have been times I have been at the range, opened my cases and was inundated with questions regarding the collection.  I kinda dig it.

Then again my range is only 4 miles away so trigger time is not a problem.

I don't mind the questions so much.  But yesterday I was at the range for about 2 hours, and I fired about 50 rounds total.   That is when it bothers me...heh.  I'm there to shoot, not talk about shooting

Most of my guns are pretty unique, so they draw alot of attention.  I like the nice guys that are just curious alot more than the "what do you need that for" crowd.  All the guys yesterday were nice, it was just one guy that ruined the trip for me because he just wouldn't go away, no matter how I tried to duck out of the conversation.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:20:02 PM EDT
[#7]
"I like the nice guys that are just curious alot more than the "what do you need that for""

Yea, now that really yanks my chain, I have been in that situation.  Especially around deer season, when people are sighting in thier bolt guns.

I go to the range to shoot also   , then again I probably spend more time thier than I should.  .

Good luck next time maybe you can dodge those curious George's  & Know it all Norms.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Had the same problem but with a range master-brought my Steyr AUG out and it damn near caused a riot.  Thank God two guys and a chick (and I don't know WHO they were) pulled up in an umarked van and proceeded to pull out every H&K under the sun out in pairs, included some of their semi auto .308 sniper variants...

Talk when I'm not shooting-in fact when no one's shooting and we're all setting up targets-whn the range goes hot, your mouth should grow cold...IMHO h.gif
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:36:46 PM EDT
[#9]
An AUG causing a riot?  hahah thats a good one, Now a Barrett .50..

Our range doesnt have a problem with tactical rifles under .50 caliber, but our officer rasies eyebrows at anything that has the third position.

I need a new range!

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:02:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Just imagine when PS90's start showing up at ranges
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Just imagine when PS90's start showing up at ranges

That is a big dollar toy - and I'm only talking about the ammo!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:13:25 PM EDT
[#12]
You guys need to move out to the boonies.  The range I go to is no more than 10 minutes from my house.  I can run out the middle of the day,first thing or end of the day.  Never anyone around.  The only time I ever talked to anybody  other than "Hi" I had to walk over to the rifle range for the action range I use.  He was shooting a WASR so I had to day hello.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:16:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Seriously, what do you guys think of them?

Ergonomic.

Holds plenty of ammo.

Compact.

Will take some getting used to for sure, but then again, what they will go for will most likely be outta my comfort zone.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Seriously, what do you guys think of them?

Ergonomic.

Holds plenty of ammo.

Compact.

Will take some getting used to for sure, but then again, what they will go for will most likely be outta my comfort zone.

I'd love to have one.  I can handle the price tag for the gun... but I'm not so sure if I could afford to feed it enough to justify owning it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I certainly would love to have some range time with that piece.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:43:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I get that kind of stuff when I bring my 1919a4 to the range. It often starts when I set up the tripod, then people just walk up to me or whoever im at the range with and the questions start. I usually let them shoot off a few rounds. I did have a range officer come running out of the office once, and telling me that I "cant shoot that machine gun here"!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:24:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Thats why I have my own range

FREE
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:10:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I had the1919A4 at the range today and the look on peoples faces when I carry is neat.

After I emptied a 200 rd. ammo can and noticed a few things;
Gun is smoking (which is cool)
All that fied brass and links look good laying under the gun
Many people are gathered behind  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:36:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, I remember the days of all the questions and all the experts.  Since I moved, my range is out behind one of my barns :)  It wasn't unusal ro find a ton of shooters that had never held a "wahtever" that knew more about it then I did.  Human nature for most to be dick heads :)
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:01:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Now ... How long is that barrel ???????

... ...
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:09:02 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't have a problem with questions, if they ask I give them that  Jack Nicholson look from
"THE SHINING", they tend to walk away.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:17:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:39:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Just roll up to a public range with a Barrett.  I generally only get to shoot about 30% of the ammo that's shot from my rifle.  Oh well, it exposes people, who may not have understood anything but what the media reports, to something I hope doesn't get banned.  That's how we can generate support for out "Unique Guns".

Cheers!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:44:34 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I don't have a problem with questions, if they ask I give them that  Jack Nicholson look from
"THE SHINING", they tend to walk away.

I have never bugged anyone at the range, just bad manners.  When people bother me I reply with a short answer and they walk away.  I believe that approaching someone you don't know and asking them to try your rifle is like a panhandler asking for change.  Leave me alone!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:07:18 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
That's why I only go shooting with other evil gun owners like myself.

Thats what I do, but I have no control over who else is at the range.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:14:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Thats why I have my own range

FREE

+1.  Having enough private property in a rural area is so nice if your a gun person.  I haven't been to a range in 7 years.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top