Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2005 9:13:01 AM EDT
Hi!

Ok, I have some time to get a few SBR's applied for ... or at least find out exactly where my cleo stands.  I've been hearing different things these days. So,  I'll just plop it down and see where it goes.

Anyway here's my questions:

What is the overall length of a SBR Bulgarian Barrel: (4e)
What is the overall length of the weapon: (4f)

State why I intend to make firearm (4i)  suggestions that would be politically correct

Law enforcement certifcation

#13 -   where it says (Name of Maker) ?  Is this my name?

(*if all goes well I may SBR the SEAK III)  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:15:33 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hi!

State why I intend to make firearm (4i)  suggestions that would be politically correct

On mine that was already filled in, the reason was "I am a collector" or something like that
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:20:16 AM EDT
[#2]
4e) "Less than 16" -or- state the actual barrel length, i.e. "12.5"

4f) lenghth of firearm w/stock extended to end of actual barrel.

4i) "Collecting and all lawful purposes"

#13) your builder or you if you are going to do it yourself. I have no experience with anyone other than a builder.

I am just now applying for my second SBR, I still have my forms. IM me if you want to talk about the process.

Thekatar
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Travis,about the only part I can help you with is the "Reason",just put Collector in that space.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:32:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Because I want to and that should be good fu@king enough. Collector would probably work better.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:35:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Because I want to and that should be good fu@king enough. Collector would probably work better.

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking...  ....That's why I thought I better ask.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#6]
this is probably going to be a stupid question, but where did you guys get the forms to apply for SBR? I can't find anything anywhere.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:12:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
this is probably going to be a stupid question, but where did you guys get the forms to apply for SBR? I can't find anything anywhere.

www.titleii.com/

Form 1 for SBR.

For those discussing the reason, I put "For Investment, Collection, and Recreation" on all of my NFA forms.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Also don't forget the citizenship form.

There's really no check-off list except for the letter I got back from them.  I posted it under m16 FA something like ATF try again letter or something like that.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

What is the overall length of a SBR Bulgarian Barrel: (4e)

about 8 3/8"

What is the overall length of the weapon: (4f)

about 26.5" with a sidefolder extended

I put "to enhance collection" or "all lawful purposes" - I can't remember

Law enforcement certifcation

#13 -   where it says (Name of Maker) ?  Is this my name?

Yes

(*if all goes well I may SBR the SEAK III)  

Although my Form 1 was approved last summer, I'm just starting the work on it right now. I hope to have it ready by February for the 2006 WI FNS.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#10]
dont you need two fingerprint cards and a photo? or do i have wires crossed somewhere?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:22:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
dont you need two fingerprint cards and a photo? or do i have wires crossed somewhere?

You're correct. He'll need two Form 1's, two passport photos, two fingerprint cards, and one citizenship form.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:58:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're correct. He'll need two Form 1's, two passport photos, two fingerprint cards, and one citizenship form.

and a check or money order for $200
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:04:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

and a check or money order for $200

For my silencer and SBR I used a check.  It is easier to find out if it was cashed.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:09:24 AM EDT
[#14]
yea, the check is the EASY part in this whole thing.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:01:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Best of luck, Travis! Don't forget to post pix. And while you're shooting your new toys, please consider that those of us who live in places that won't allow SBRs are getting their vicarious jollies by thinking about what you're doing--
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#16]
TWO Form 1's?? I thought it was just one form and two FP cards a photo and the citizenship crap. But two forms? I was just about to apply for a couple myself.............
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:54:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Yep, the forms are submitted in duplicate. They keep one for their records and send back the other one to you with the stamp attached.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I guess "because it won't fit under my coat as is" is the wrong answer?

I'd just write "Because I want to" and leave it at that. Unless you put some smart-ass answer like my first one on there, just about everything goes I would imagine.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

#13) your builder or you if you are going to do it yourself. I have no experience with anyone other than a builder.

You need to use your own name. If you use your builder's name, you will need to pay an additional $200.00 tax to transfer it to yourself.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I have an M92 kit that I want to build in to a SBR.  How do I find out if my CLEO will approve me?  Shouldn't I do that before I shell out $200?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Bret,

The $200 check gets mailed in with the COMPLETED paperwork so you won't spend that UNTIL your CLEO signs off on it. You'll find out before you spend money...........
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:39:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I have an M92 kit that I want to build in to a SBR.  How do I find out if my CLEO will approve me?  Shouldn't I do that before I shell out $200?

And if he doesn't sign, you can always sue him to do it, or just go the corp. or living trust route to avoid all that bs.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:15:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the info.  I need to know the basics.  Is there a website that provides basic instructions and such?  Also, how do you approach you CLEO?  I'd think that most would just view this paperwork as an added burden to their already busy schedules.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:38:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:36:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Apologies to Travis, but a slight thread hijack:

My wife and I have had a revocable living trust for about five years, and we live in a non-NFA friendly county in Texas (Collin county) - at least no CLEO wants to sign off on the paperwork.

Are you all saying I could have SBR'd my Oly 9mm carbine years ago without the CLEO signoff?

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:50:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And if he doesn't sign, you can always sue him to do it, or just go the corp. or living trust route to avoid all that bs.

please explain
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:24:22 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just go the corp. or living trust route to avoid all that bs.

please explain

Quoted:
My wife and I have had a revocable living trust for about five years, and we live in a non-NFA friendly county in Texas (Collin county) - at least no CLEO wants to sign off on the paperwork.

Are you all saying I could have SBR'd my Oly 9mm carbine years ago without the CLEO signoff?

BATF will accept any "legal entity" recognized as such by your state of residence. Some trusts do qualify; others do not. As far as "living" trusts, "revocable" trusts and "irrevocable" trusts, you need to consult an attorney to make sure they are state-recognized. In general, this means that BATF can contact "Your" State Department and find (a) a record of its existence, and (b) verification that it is current and meets all state guidelines as a viable legal entity.

There are some trusts which are legal contracts set up by an attorney but do not require registration with the state. These would not qualify.

You can also use a state corporation. But that will involve fees every year to keep the corp. current. Either way is a much easier way to register NFA items. Plus you don't need to get fingerprinted, or include photos, or that dumb citizen declaration. It also usually takes 2-3 weeks less time to get the approval (No fingerprint checks). When you sell the NFA items, it's done the same way as personally registered items, except, if you make a profit, you might have to declare it with corp. (If you want too!)

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:56:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Great info.  

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:51:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Thanks!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top