Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/29/2005 4:15:29 PM EDT
i didnt really like it to much. i think the problem is i am so acustomed to my AR-15.
the funny thing is that it jammed on the 9th round. didnt think they did that very often. i was going to get one in the spring but now i am rethinking that. it just wasnt comfortable. mabey im not giveing it a fare chance. i only fired 60 rnds. just thought i would share my experance with and thoughts on the gun.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:24:20 PM EDT
[#1]
It is very different and judging by the title  it was the 7.62 which has more recoil than the AR.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:30:50 PM EDT
[#2]
What kind of rifle was it? WASR, Sam-7, Mak90?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:31:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:33:09 PM EDT
[#4]
According to a long-standing AR15.com tradition, you must get both.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#5]
crazy...I already had an AR when I bought my first AK recently and my experience was the opposite. The AK has the perfect recoil and fit me fine. After firing the AR for the first time I was thinking, so that's it? It feels like a .22 with a little more kick. The AR is so delicate that most people could bumpfire it with thier penis.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:58:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Without turning this into an AR vs. AK riot:  I fired an AK for the first time this summer as part of a fam-fire course (a real F/A AK) I have been firing ARs for years: primarily M16A2 in the Marines, and  M4A1 with my .gov job.  My first impression on handling: I handled one with wood furniture and one with polymer furniture.  The wood one felt "junky."  The polymer AK felt much more solid.  

Being used to the M4s peep sight, I didn't like the AKs iron sight.  

After firing single shots I switched to auto (the selector is counter-intuitive going Safe-Auto-Semi as opposed to the M4A1 Safe-Semi-Auto and fired several bursts of 3-4 shots.  Given the cartridge, obviously the AK is not as controlable in F/A than the M4.  That's what I didn't like about it.  With the M4 I can remain on target in sustained auto fire where with the AK the rounds will spread more.  

Another thing I disliked was how fast the thing heated up, making it very uncomfortable to hold.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:47:38 PM EDT
[#7]
AKs are'nt for everyone,I've been into AKs since the early 80s,a Buddy of mine [an AR Guy] has problems with AKs.I don't think there is anything about the AK that he does like,but he loves the M4.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:15:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I feel for you.  AK round is more "meaty" than small caliber bullets.  Overall, I prefer 308 for what it is and what it is capable of.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:26:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Given the cartridge, obviously the AK is not as controlable in F/A than the M4.

www.ak-103.com/images/vid_selfire_hi.wmv

ETA, you can't compare 7.62x39 to .223. Watch the .223 AK in the video, then you can compare apples to apples.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:31:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
i didnt really like it to much. i think the problem is i am so acustomed to my AR-15.
the funny thing is that it jammed on the 9th round. didnt think they did that very often. i was going to get one in the spring but now i am rethinking that. it just wasnt comfortable. mabey im not giveing it a fare chance. i only fired 60 rnds. just thought i would share my experance with and thoughts on the gun.

The AK is a different animal than an AR in standard form. Any rifle can and will JAM. AN AK isn't sprinkeled in magic pixie dust to make it unjamable. LOL. Learn to clear jams and procede in what you was doing. I have had plenty of Stoppages in  many AK's. Romies Hungarians and polish. Now my Bulgarian SLR101S has been flawless . The AK is really kinda crude compaired to an AR. Thats not a knock on AK's. Thats just how standard AK's are. But they are good carbines with acceptable combat carbine accuarcy out too 200M. They are not long range rifle for the most part. While not my number one choice , it is a good design for what it was intended to do. If you have an AR you need a AK . , WarDawg
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Hmmmm....The M4gery vs. the AK-47 clone...

I love 'em both!  That's why I have two of each!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:07:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I love my AK's and my Ar-shorty.

The AK provides a robust simplistic platform in which you can propel a ballistic device down range with "reasonable" accuracy.

The AR is an accurate, ergonomic platform that excels in many facets of modern warfare.

The AK on the other hand has proven itself in more worldwide confrontations than can be imagined.

Althought the AK has incredible reliabilty it is certainly no tack driving varmint rifle.

Let us remember that both weapons were designed with purpose and political motives at the time.

In a TSHTF situation I probably would grab one of my AK's.  The AK's reliability is unparalled.

On the other hand you simply cannot argue with the accuracy of the AR.

Both weapons are reliable if the owner/operator maintains them properly.

Comparing an AK to an AR  is a difficult thing to do, the question is, why would you?

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I love my AK's and my Ar-shorty.

The AK provides a robust simplistic platform in which you can propel a ballistic device down range with "reasonable" accuracy.

The AR is an accurate, ergonomic platform that excels in many facets of modern warfare.

The AK on the other hand has proven itself in more worldwide confrontations than can be imagined.

Althought the AK has incredible reliabilty it is certainly no tack driving varmint rifle.

Let us remember that both weapons were designed with purpose and political motives at the time.

In a TSHTF situation I probably would grab one of my AK's.  The AK's reliability is unparalled.

On the other hand you simply cannot argue with the accuracy of the AR.

Both weapons are reliable if the owner/operator maintains them properly.

Comparing an AK to an AR  is a difficult thing to do, the question is, why would you?

Yeah, what he said.   Oh, and which one is easier to clean.  [Or really needs to be]  And I do own both.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:14:48 PM EDT
[#14]
most AKs are VERY uncomfortable to shoot to me. I just bought an el-cheapo recoil pad to put over a maadi because I hate the weirdly curved metal plates on the end.

funny how AKs are slightly painful to shoot to me, yet I LOVE shooting m1 garands. then again m1 garand buttplates aren't curved inwardly both horizontally and vertically.

russians must have had some funky shoulders
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:29:58 AM EDT
[#15]
The AKs have their place. I own 2 ARs and one AK.  The AK is MUCH cheaper to shoot, even if you pay 10-12 cents per round, versus 20 cents for quality .223/5.56. Mags can be cheaper; though if you get the lighter weight Bulgarian waffle mags (save about 3.5oz over a steel mag) it's about equal.

If TSHF, it'd depend on the situation which one I'd grab.  If I had to go mobile, AR, no doubt, due to the lighter overall weight of the combat load. If there were dudes in cars cruising around and coming into the neighborhood causing trouble, I'd grab the AK, due to the 7.62x39 being a much better anti-automobile round. Or if my house was under seige, it'd be a very useful extra rifle to use.

If I were humping a rifle in the field though, the lower weight of the AR plus much lighter ammo would be very attractive. But my AO is wooded, with fields. Probably wouldn't engage past 200-300 yards, come SHTF. The 5.56 is okay in this environment. IF I were in the desert/swamp I might give the AK the nod.

No doubt the AK in 7.62x39 has more recoil, but it isn't excessive. Now all I need to do is find some replacement rear sights; I'd like a rear adjustable peep in parkerized...
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:26:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Great replies. Im glad this didnt turn into an AK vs. AR fight. I probably will have to get more accustomed to the AK before i decide not to buy one. Im not doubting they are great guns, i just didnt think that is was very comfratably. ill give it another go in the future and see what happens.
thanks again.

P.S. great video.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:33:51 PM EDT
[#17]
love em both

you cant compare the 2--they each have thier own 'feel' when you shoot em

but yea, i like shooting the AR more myself
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:05:31 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
love em both

you cant compare the 2--they each have thier own 'feel' when you shoot em

but yea, i like shooting the AR more myself

I definitely prefer shooting the AR.  Less recoil and more accurate.  However, there's just something about my AKs...
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:05:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I have trained alot in the military with an M16A1,A2 &A4 series and quite a bit with the M4A1. I prefer to carry an AK over all of them. I carry an AK whenever I can get my hands on one downrange. I like the round. Yes, the recoil is more stout but not anywhere near uncontrollable. In FA firing it is a different beast for sure it does have a bit more dispersion but it with proper training it is not too bad. AKs do tend to heat up at about 90 rounds and start getting uncomfortable around 120. I like it because it is handy, rugged, handles abuse mucho better than an AR and is faster and easier to clean. I don't like the selector switch and heat build up. If the sights were a little wider that would help alot but once you get accustomed to them they work fine. One thing I like about the sights on an AK it is easier to track a fleeting/moving target because you can use your peripheral vision more than on a peep IMHO. Try this some time throw a can or a ball where it can roll down a hill about 25-40yds away and try to track it with an AR and an AK also have someone roll a ball across your front from L to R or vice versa  and see which is easier to track and engage with-for me it is an AK hands down.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top