Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/29/2005 3:59:25 PM EDT
Well, I am sitting here with a copy of "Uniformen der Voksarmee 1956-1986" in my hands courtesy the Boston Library and my lovely librarin girlfriend in an attempt to start piecing together a proper East German field uniform to go along with the E German AKM w/folder stock that I am building up.

However, since I don't read German, and there have to be more sources out there, can anyone point out some websites or books that are good resources on East German Field unifroms, specifically the "rain camo" era taht would be appropriate for use with the poly stocked AKM?

ANY help or info or leads or anything at all you can tell me would be VERY helpful- I simply can't find a lot of info on this stuff!

Thanks,

Dawg
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:41:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Always try eBay ... search east german then hit the militaria section ... I've seen it on there ... even the new pattern ...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Always try eBay ... search east german then hit the militaria section ... I've seen it on there ... even the new pattern ...

Listen to Jugrunner,he taught me everything I know.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:50:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I already know about Ebay, i guess what I am rally looking for is resources on the proper assmebly of the field unifrom.  I have some pictures which help, but still can't find a lot, i.e. how does the combat pack attach, how eaxclty are the suspenders rigged, what was the typical pouch arrangement on the belt, what is the appropraite footwear and soft headgear, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:58:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well, I am sitting here with a copy of "Uniformen der Voksarmee 1956-1986" in my hands courtesy the Boston Library and my lovely librarin girlfriend in an attempt to start piecing together a proper East German field uniform to go along with the E German AKM w/folder stock that I am building up.

However, since I don't read German, and there have to be more sources out there, can anyone point out some websites or books that are good resources on East German Field unifroms, specifically the "rain camo" era taht would be appropriate for use with the poly stocked AKM?

ANY help or info or leads or anything at all you can tell me would be VERY helpful- I simply can't find a lot of info on this stuff!

Thanks,

Dawg

Oh ... Ok Dawg ... now I get it ...

Your "cutie" has a "thing" for the uniform and you want to make sure you get it right ?

Hmmmmm .... You could send her here to me .... or ....................... ...
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:40:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks,

Dawg

Oh ... Ok Dawg ... now I get it ...

Your "cutie" has a "thing" for the uniform and you want to make sure you get it right ?

Hmmmmm .... You could send her here to me .... or ....................... ...

She is very interested in the uniform, but not in *that* way!

Man, that is just creepy!

Actually the original goal was to get a unifrom together along with the rifle and take some staged photographs for the AK photo contest thread (civilain car ebing searched at Chekpoint Charlie or soemthing like that), but obviously that didn't happen thanks to GT recievers being on backorder forever and a day.  

At this point, E German surplus is resonably priced and I just tought it would be fun to have the proer militaria to go along with the rifle.  I already have the raindorp pants and shirt, some pouches, a belt, combat pack, and have a line on the boots and a helmet.  I just want to know I am getting the appropriate stuff so it doesn't look liek a mish-mash of uniforms.  

As for the /gf, this is a girl who wanted to see all the surplus load bearing gear to understand the 'why' and 'how' of it.  She can tell you the difference between an LBV, LBE, and Hellcat and all the reasons you would choose one over another, AND she knew what an LBV was before I even brought it out because she ad read about it in "Love my rifle more than you."  She is a smart cookie.  Researching the E German stuff gives her something to do at the library when no one is asking questions, which is about 75% of the day.  She loves researching stuff and can get access to all sorts of rare and non-circulation books (like the Volksarmee one- it is not a lending book, but she can get it as a libaray research book) so I figured I might as well take advantage of it and get the whole uniform together.  If nothing else I'll have a bitchin haloween costume come October!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:54:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't abandon your original plan just because the AK pic challenge is over.One of the reasons I started the pic challenge was to fuel the fire in some of you Guys,keep posting pics and learning as much as you can,its interesting and alot of fun to research something out and then try to find the stuff and enhance your collections.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I will absolutely not let it stop my drive on this project- even though I knew I could not make the deadline I am still going to get it all together and post pics when I am done.  If ntohing else, my research and hard work might help out/inspire someone esle who is interested to learn about the same thing.  

Hell, my G/F didn't know jack about AK's or East Germany until a few weeks ago, and now she wants me to sit down with her and explain all the various features on an AK that make it possible for me to identify it as E German or another make just from a grainy photograph! I believe her exact words were "I want to be able to look at a picture and know  exactly what kind of gun it is, just like you can do!"
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:07:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like you've got a keeper,but if you plan on getting Married,remember that everything you teach her about AK identification may come back to haunt you!I like my Women to think they all look the same
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:04:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:24:02 AM EDT
[#12]
These are small, but they show the SOP. The haversack on his left hip holds NBC items.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:14:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Richard, what book are those pictures out of?  That is EXACTLY what I was looking for!

Thanks Guys, very helpful!  i knew about the militaria gunboards, but I am having some reigstration problems over there...Richards pic was exactly waht I was going to ask for!

[ETA]  Holy crap, a local suprlus store has those haversack bags complete with gas mask NIW for $12.50.  I am going to go run out and buy one this morning!

Dawg
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:58:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I've had the pics for a long time, and I wish I could give proper attribution for them, but I don't who or where they came from.

Good price on the mask.  Grab it.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:05:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Got the mask, went to another store and got a canteen, entrenching tool (I think it is the proper one- very close if not) and even found an E german mess kit.  

I have a helmet on order, and some bayonets on backorder, already got the mag pouch, summer BDU's  and combat pack, and know a source  for the boots.  All of a week to assemble the unifrom and I'll be done!  All I need now is for the GT recevier to show up so my build can get finished and I can put the E German furniture and folder on it!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top