Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 8:26:22 AM EDT
I took some pictures of my East German bayonets.  Nothing rare or valuable, I'm afraid.  Just representative examples.

Everything I know about AK bayonets, I learned from Martin Ivie's book, Kalashnikov Bayonets.  I like the classifications that Mr. Ivie uses, so I'll list those along with the DDR nomenclature next to it.

The DDR's bayonets mirror the evolution of Soviet bayonets, except that they never produced the late AK-74 "spearpoint" type.

AK-47  -  DDR Modell 47
For milled receiver rifles.

AKM (Type I) - DDR Modell 59
"Bakelite" grip, steel sheath with rubber insulator.

AKM (Type I "transitional") - DDR Modell 79
Steel sheath replaced with the plastic sheath used for all subsequent bayonets.

AKM (Type II) / Early AK-74 - DDR Modell AK74 (early version)
The bulbous plastic pommels of the earlier AKM bayonets had a tendency to crack under field conditions, so an improved design was introduced with a steel pommel capping the "Bakelite" grip.

Late AKM / Early AK-74 - DDR Modell AK74 (late version)
Black plastic polyamide grip , not "Bakelite".

Let's see some more bayonets. -Rich
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:35:01 AM EDT
[#1]
The few that I already have pics of-

Russian/Soviet-

1st type-

This came serial number matched to a 1951 AK47 T1 deact-

Plum bayonet-

Modern Black-

Romanian AKM-

North Korean AKM-

E.German KM87; Only 2000 of these were made.. They have serial numbered. They were intended to be issued to DDR Paratroopers; They went along with the 1980s "Rambo"survival knife craze I guess... They were never issued though..While there was only 2,000 made, they all were sold into the Civilian market.....

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:56:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Tag, very informative.  This will be handy for my E German AKM clone, thanks!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:01:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Rob- Very nice- especially the KM87.  Hope to get one myself, some day.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:27:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Rob- Very nice- especially the KM87.  Hope to get one myself, some day.  

With some looking, its still possible to find them here NIW, though they are very expensive... I got this one in a trade, so didnt have to pay too much..

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top