Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/25/2005 8:47:15 PM EDT
Ok, I just got my first ever AK-47 from Santa. I have a few questions. I already own 3 SKS rifles, Yugo, Norinco and Russian. Now I need to learn all about my new toy.

1st off, how can I tell the year, importer and other info that I will need to know about pre-ban or after ban?

It is a Norinco MAK-90 Sporter
serial #94490**
on the other sets of serial numbers they are 490**, so is this rifle a 1994?
Norinco is stamped on it.
Where it is stamped made in China the receiver is polished and it says JPE POMONA CA
It has dark wood furniture with a hole for the buttstock cleaning kit, the kit is missing.
There is no break on the muzzle and there is no cleaning rod mounted under the barrel.
The outside of the front of the barrel has real light grooves like it is threaded.

Any info on this rifle will help me learn all about it.

Thanks.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:54:25 PM EDT
[#1]
My friend has one just like yours.......TAG for more info.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:23:01 PM EDT
[#2]
It sounds like yours is a post-ban.  I can't be sure without photos.  The other PB's i have seen don't have the cleaning rod or muzzle brake either.  Also, look to see if you have a bayonet lug.  If I am not mistaken, the PB's do not have this either.  I hope this helps.  Good luck with your research.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:49:04 PM EDT
[#3]
This site should help you a little.
mywebpages.comcast.net/jfreeman246/page_2.htm
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:58:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:36:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Just curious, is the receiver slant cut or straight (the portion where the thumb hole stock attaches)?

I owned a late  Mak-90 Import gun sounds just like what you describe, great gun, pumped many rounds down range from her, you may wish to purchase a recoil buffer for it.  I noticed after approx 5K rounds down range the bolt peened the rear tang pretty good.  Don't think it was a real issue aside from cosmetic.  Also some Mak-90's had a circular plug with two cemi circular cutouts in it located aft of the pistol grip (for installing that evil under uber folder have
My friend has a Labanu imports that has such a cut out.  lucky dog.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:25:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I also just bought a MAK-90 a few weeks ago. The guys on the Chinese board on this website really helped me out.  Here is also a good website with lots of information on the MAK-90  http://www.ak-47.us/Chinese.php  Your MAK-90 is a 94 model.  As the other guys have said all MAK's are post band. I was told also they are a far better gun than the Romanian AK's. Chinese AK's are no longer imported in the US. I don't know if this would make it more rare, but it seems it would if there are no more coming in? I hve my MAK apart right now, reblueing it and refinishing the stock. Sounds like you got a really nice gift from Santa. I am sure you will find that the guys on this site will be very helpful as I have.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:53:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Ya, Santa did ok. It's kinda funny how he knew that I have always wanted a AK-47. Since the first time I watched Red Dawn, wow that was a long time ago.

As for the rifle, it is the straight cut and I will check to see if it will take a folding stock. I would love to get the drum mag for it but I am not sure which one I would need.

Now for the ban parts. Since this gun was shipped here on the up and up pre 1995 and the AWB is dead and gone. Why would I need to add American parts to it? I just don't understand this.

Thanks for all the info guys.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:18:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Now for the ban parts. Since this gun was shipped here on the up and up pre 1995 and the AWB is dead and gone. Why would I need to add American parts to it? I just don't understand this.

Well if you keep the gun as it is you dont need american parts. If you want to put a pistol grip on it, this will make it an "evil" gun.  Then you will need 6 American made parts.  Read the 922r section on the  build it yourself section.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:26:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Well I will be keeping this rifle the way it was made. Well at least the way it was shipped here to begin with. I love it the way it is but I would love to add the drum mag and a flash suppresor. But other than that it will stay pretty much how I got it.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top