Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/25/2005 4:51:52 PM EDT
Curious because I just finished attaching the hardware to my finished stock and I'm going for the service rifle look. Advice?

I'll post pics shortly. I used the Tapeo method for refinishing it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#1]
It looks like a heavy vinyl tape,varnished over.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:14:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually the stripe probably means it wasnt a full auto service rifle, but for training or for parade guards or something..
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Actually the stripe probably means it wasnt a full auto service rifle, but for training or for parade guards or something..

I heard that the black stripe was meant to keep termites from eating the bottom of the stock as the rifles sat in Romanian Armories......

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:22:46 PM EDT
[#4]
First time I've heard that. Most pictures of romanian rifles do not have a stripe. There has been a lot of speculation that the stripe, G, and empty triangle on the trunnion suggest they were not an actual service rifles.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:30:38 PM EDT
[#5]
The G rifles were for the Romanian Patriotic Guard in semi-auto.  These rifles had all the full auto parts in them except that the disconnector had the tail ground off which only allowed the rifle to fire in semi auto.

I have a 1977 G rifle with the arrow in the triangle.

Here is a picture of a Patriotic Guard rifle I took at the Romanian National Military Museum in Bucharest. Note the black band on the stock...

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:57:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The G rifles were for the Romanian Patriotic Guard in semi-auto.  These rifles had all the full auto parts in them except that the disconnector had the tail ground off which only allowed the rifle to fire in semi auto.

Here is a picture of a Patriotic Guard rifle I took at the Romanian National Military Museum in Bucharest. Note the black band on the stock...

i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/iamiwa/DSC01219.jpg

Is there a "G" on that one? I can't see it because of the glare.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:29:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/iamiwa/DSC01219.jpg

Is there a "G" on that one? I can't see it because of the glare.

The "G" would be on the left side of the trunion.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:19:10 PM EDT
[#8]
The "G" stands for Garda which is Romanian for Guard.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:56:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I have one from 78 with the arrow/tree in the triangle as well. It also has the serial number stamped into the handguard.

The 80s ones of mine have empty triangle trunnions and no serial numbers on the stocks.

Both have a G and black stripe on the stock, but the G on the 78 is smaller and 'cleaner' than the others.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:14:13 PM EDT
[#10]
"What can I use to replicate the black stripe on the buttstock of the Romanian AKM kits?"

You could dip the entire stock into a gallon of black paint, i'm sure thats what the Romanians did to get the black stripe. McM
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:16:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I just used masking tape on the buttstock and sprayed it after installing the buttplate. It probably is done nicer than the way the factory did it.
I suspect they just dipped them originally.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:26:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes, they dipped them. I can see the black paint inside the stock too.
Quick and easy. No masking, just dip and hang it to dry.

John
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top