Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/21/2005 10:17:47 PM EDT
Checked the FAQ, it isn't there, not to mention most the links are broken/dead.

Any help would be appreciated...I think I know how, but wanted to ask prior to breaking something.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:31:20 PM EDT
[#1]
You have to remove the upper first.

Drop mag and check chamber...
When clear, remove dust cover, then recoil spring, then bolt carrier assembly.
On the right side of the rear sight block there is a little lever, turn it to where it points straight up.
Pull the rear of the upper handguard/gas tube straight up, if it doesn't move, turn the lever from above slightly to line up the flat spot on the cross pin until there is clearance for the gas tube to come off.

Once it's off, look at the metal retainer on the front of the lower handguard. On the right side there is a small lever tucked in on the side. Using a screw driver, rotate it up and 180 degrees. Now you should be able to slide the retainer forward. Tap it with a mallet if needed.

You should now be able to remove the lower handguard by pushing it forward and rotating it out.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:32:19 PM EDT
[#2]
www.ak-47.net/ak47/comp/handguard.html

hope this helps

its been a while for me, so i dont really remember the steps exactly....but you cant do what i did my first time (before i found out how on the net)--i used a Hacksaw and a screwdriver on the wood--cut and pryed it off piece by piece
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:41:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You have to remove the upper first.

Drop mag and check chamber...
When clear, remove dust cover, then recoil spring, then bolt carrier assembly.
On the right side of the rear sight block there is a little lever, turn it to where it points straight up.
Pull the rear of the upper handguard/gas tube straight up, if it doesn't move, turn the lever from above slightly to line up the flat spot on the cross pin until there is clearance for the gas tube to come off.

Once it's off, look at the metal retainer on the front of the lower handguard. On the right side there is a small lever tucked in on the side. Using a screw driver, rotate it up and 180 degrees. Now you should be able to slide the retainer forward. Tap it with a mallet if needed.

You should now be able to remove the lower handguard by pushing it forward and rotating it out.

I figured it was the little lever concealed indside the front of the lower hanguard, but wanted to make sure first.  Thanks!

Dawg
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top