Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/21/2005 7:48:09 AM EDT
How many of you guys have a 'magical' third rivet on your Krinkovs? If so, chime and or post a photo. Acording to others, sighting one of these comes close to sasquatch, or perhaps Nessie.

Heres mine.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:00:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn dude, I think I might have seen one of those before..
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:23:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got the same rivet configuration on my Bulgy Krink.  I am not set up to post pics.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:04:43 AM EDT
[#3]
They all should have three per side. The reason you see two per side sometimes is, new (virgin) trunions only have two holes predrilled at the factory. The center (third) rivet needs to be drilled by the builder. Some builders are not aware of that and dont bother to look into it, they just assume thats the way it should be.

This pic is from K-Var, its a pic of a demilled Bulgarian Krink (demilled meaning once a rifle then disassembled into kit form). Notice three rivets.

This next pic is also from K-Var, it shows a virgin Bulgarian Krink trunion. Notice only two predrilled holes.

If I currently owned a Krink that was built with only two rivets per side it would be going back to the builder for correction. Think of it this way, the front trunion is only 2/3 attached. Will the rifle function 100% with two? more than likely. Will it ever give you any problems? prob not. Is it correct to the design? absolutly not.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:41:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Good job SVT, I'd say this is a definate bitch slap on that guy that was giving you grief about this ...
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Good job SVT, I'd say this is a definate bitch slap on that guy that was giving you grief about this ...

? SVT get into it with someone over that I guess?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:12:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Some guy was being a real prick to him because he ask about the third rivet. I think he was from the AR-15 side and now thinks he's an AK guru, you know how those guys act ...

I just find it satisfying when someone is a prick and then is proven wrong ...
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Some guy was being a real prick to him because he ask about the third rivet. I think he was from the AR-15 side and now thinks he's an AK guru, you know how those guys act ...

I just find it satisfying when someone is a prick and then is proven wrong ...

Ahhh, the AR side, tacticool.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Some guy was being a real prick to him because he ask about the third rivet. I think he was from the AR-15 side and now thinks he's an AK guru...

He's not from the AR side; "roach46" (Ken) is an AK builder:

Global Military Gunsmithing

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=79943

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:05:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Jnewt, thanks for the info.  Now I know I have a correct build.  Merry Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:08:47 PM EDT
[#10]
no I dont think I was being a prick, I was told by SVT on another board how it was not "properly riveted" and was "unsafe" to shoot, its not unsafe to shoot,  the question is,  safe or not?, explain to me other than a "lug nut" story or what Kvar sells or how someone else does there builds that its not safe, and I`ll be the first to admit I am wrong

GMG
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:12:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Romanian trunnion with NO top rivet holes:

www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16535&cat=324&page=1

Are you saying that no top rivet holes should be drilled in these?

AKM/AK-74/AKSU-74 rifles should have 6 rivets installed in the front trunnion. If the holes aren't there in a new trunnion, then they should be drilled at install time.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:17:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Romanian trunnion with NO top rivet holes:

www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16535&cat=324&page=1

www.k-var.com/shop/images/AK-190.jpg

Are you saying that no top trunnion holes should be drilled in these?

AKM/AK-74/AKSU-74 rifles should have 6 rivets installed in the front trunnion. If the holes aren't there in a new trunnion, then they should be drilled at install time.

damn now that would build real quick!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:19:40 PM EDT
[#13]
no,  the third rivet is not drilled, 2 on each side
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Look at the picture of the Romanian trunnion. There's only one rivet hole on each side. The only other hole is the barrel-pin hole.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:29:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look at the picture of the Romanian trunnion. There's only one rivet hole on each side. The only other hole is the barrel-pin hole.

yes I see that, I have no idea what there talking about there, the discussion was on the investment cast with 2 holes on either side
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:40:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
no I dont think I was being a prick, I was told by SVT on another board how it was not "properly riveted" and was "unsafe" to shoot, its not unsafe to shoot,  the question is,  safe or not?, explain to me other than a "lug nut" story or what Kvar sells or how someone else does there builds that its not safe, and I`ll be the first to admit I am wrong

GMG

Its not a question of how someone else does their builds or what K-Var sells, its a question of how both Euro manufactures of the AKSU do theirs. Both Russia (when they still produced them) and Bulgaria use 3 rivets per side.

Is 2 rivets per side safe, prob so. Will it last forever, yep, prob so. Will you ever have any problems with it, nope prob not. Is it correct, absolutly not.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:06:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GMG

Its not a question of how someone else does their builds or what K-Var sells, its a question of how both Euro manufactures of the AKSU do theirs. Both Russia (when they still produced them) and Bulgaria use 3 rivets per side.

Is 2 rivets per side safe, prob so. Will it last forever, yep, prob so. Will you ever have any problems with it, nope prob not. Is it correct, absolutly not.

it started out as a question of safety, I never said it was correct or incorrect, just safe
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:18:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Ok let me try to sum things up since this is getting nowhere

If I send rifle to be built by anybody, including Ken, I will want it to be safe, as historically correct as possible, and attention to detail.

Ken will do that for you, to your specs.

People who send kits to builders nowadays are concerned about aesthetics and historical accuracy as well as function.

I have no doubt that Ken will do anything possible to make this happen provided you or he has the details on how it should be built.

If the recepient of that rifle sent it back to Ken, I am sure he would add the rivet. My guess is that the recipient is not as concerned with the rivet as you are.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GMG

it started out as a question of safety, I never said it was correct or incorrect, just safe

Gotcha, never saw the original thread.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#20]
roach46, can you please give some references to support your position that the rivet is not required?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:39:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#22]
MINE HAS THE 3RD ONE TOO!!
Supposed to be that way!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:58:54 PM EDT
[#23]
ONE RIVET TWO RIVETS THREE RIVETS. What the different most of them are only SA guns. Now if the gun has the third dimple FA then I get EXCITED.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:03:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
ONE RIVET TWO RIVETS THREE RIVETS. What the different most of them are only SA guns. Now if the gun has the third dimple FA then I get EXCITED.

Exactly....Just to shed some light, that their SVT fella had made some remarks about Josh Newton, Troy Sellars in the orig. Thread about this on another board, a while back!  Something to to tune of them being in trouble lawfully????

Ant
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

When the rivet heads shear off while you're firing it, the trunnion shifts forward, and the rifle blows apart then you'll think differently.

It might not happen, or it might happen after 10,000 rds. We don't know for sure, since the military AKs were built with 3 rivets per side, and they almost never fail.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:44:03 PM EDT
[#26]

no I dont think I was being a prick, I was told by SVT on another board how it was not "properly riveted" and was "unsafe" to shoot, its not unsafe to shoot, the question is, safe or not?, explain to me other than a "lug nut" story or what Kvar sells or how someone else does there builds that its not safe, and I`ll be the first to admit I am wrong

Well then you both are just arguing semantics. You say its right because its safe, and the third rivet isnt needed. SVT says its wrong because real AKS-74Us have 3 rivets per side.

I can see both points, but personally IMO its not right. IF all you cared about was safe reliable function, then sure, its probably fine. How many krink owners are purely concerned with safe reliable function though? I dont see many krink owners with silly add ons, most are as authentic as possible, and in that sense it is not right. Unless someone specifically asked for the third rivet not to be installed, I would say that is a problem with the build.

Then again its a pistol, so whomever purchased it may not care about authenticity at all, who knows,

If it was mine I would want 3.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:26:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly....Just to shed some light, that their SVT fella had made some remarks about Josh Newton, Troy Sellars in the orig. Thread about this on another board, a while back!  Something to to tune of them being in trouble lawfully????

Ant

I said they (Sellars, Newton) install all the rivets (meaning 3 per side) - as stated in this thread. Nothing else.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:28:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Also:

Thanks for the input guys. Im done with the thread, just wanted to show that im not the only one who thinks the job should be done with all rivets.

Merry Christmas, even to you roach and Bigant. Night.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:45:07 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Also:

Thanks for the input guys. Im done with the thread, just wanted to show that im not the only one who thinks the job should be done with all rivets.

Merry Christmas, even to you roach and Bigant. Night.

Mikhail Kalashnikov thought so to.....

The Russians/Soviets are not wasters when it comes to small arms.. If they didnt think the 3rd rivit was needed, they would not have included it in the design.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:51:24 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
ONE RIVET TWO RIVETS THREE RIVETS. What the different most of them are only SA guns. Now if the gun has the third dimple FA then I get EXCITED.hr

Ant

I said they (Sellars, Newton) install all the rivets (meaning 3 per side) - as stated in this thread. Nothing else.

this is my last post........ SVT, you said "have lots of liability insurance just ask JN and Inrange" implying it was not safe to shoot, and they were sued,   I never said it was CORRECT and still stand that its SAFE,  THE END!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:39:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:40:19 AM EDT
[#32]
not going anywhere and i wanted the last word.  mmk
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top