Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/21/2005 6:47:47 AM EDT
MOZAMBIQUE: PARLIAMENT KEEPS GUN IN NATIONAL FLAG Parliament rejected an opposition motion to remove the image of a Kalashnikov AK-47 assault rifle from the national flag. The flag had been the banner of the Mozambique Liberation Front, which waged war against colonial rule and later became the Frelimo Party. The opposition Renamo Party had argued that the flag was too closely associated with Frelimo and should be changed. After reviewing 169 entries in a public competition for a new symbol, Frelimo argued that none was good enough. The vote in Parliament not to change the country's flag was 155 votes, all Frelimo, to 79, all Renamo. (REUTERS)

Do they actually make any AKs in Mozambique?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:00:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:08:36 PM EDT
[#2]
It's probably not about making AK47s but about it representing freedom to them.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:24:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It's probably not about making AK47s but about it representing freedom to them.

Plus one.

Funny story, when we went over africa in school and the teacher told us that, i said "Kickass." outloud. Gut looked at weird for several weeks after....
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:10:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Freedom?

When the Mozambique Liberation Front took over the country they established a Marxist one-party state allied to the Soviet bloc.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:54:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Freedom?

When the Mozambique Liberation Front took over the country they established a Marxist one-party state allied to the Soviet bloc.

Sounds like Kalifornica should put an AK on its flag!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:08:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Freedom?

Sounds like Kalifornica should put an AK on its flag!

A bare-muzzled Mini-14 with a 10 round magazine would be more appropriate...
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:45:26 AM EDT
[#7]
What is the other symbol....a HO? Guns and Ho's very interesting.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:47:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Ho, or Hoe? or ho-ho-ho?

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:37:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Freedom?

I was just thinking that the sicle, and the yellow star on the red field were dead give aways of communist influence.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:05:59 AM EDT
[#10]
That sickle has probably been used to kill more people there than the AK......

They love that hacking people to death routene...
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:36:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Freedom?

Actually closer to China I believe.  I know that Rhodesia/Zimbabwe got VERY cosey with the PRC after "liberation".

I disagree.  Very close to the Soviets and their allies, but not China.  The world is awash with ChiCom AK's, and if the man in your picture is from Mozambique, he didn't get his rifle direct from the PRC.

Things have improved there since the breakup of the USSR.  They now have a multi-party system, and are considered one of the more moderate African states.  The US Dept. of State now classifies them as a member of the Non-Aligned Movement.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:06:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm just curious.  What other countries use AK's on their flags?  There have to be others.

HighSpeedSteel
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:52:29 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm just curious.  What other countries use AK's on their flags?  There have to be others.

HighSpeedSteel

None. Mozambique is the only country with ANY kind of firearm on their national flag.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top