Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/20/2005 6:49:51 PM EDT
has this ban been expunged? is there going to be any changes at all next year? or did they officially back out on it?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#1]
basically barrels that have dual use for both sporting rifles, and non-sporting arms are excluded...but those that are ONLY used for non sporting arms will have the ban on them..this is my interpretation of what ive read thus far....though i can be wrong, as the ATFs stance changes almost daily, as does updates on the topic
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:04:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:05:23 PM EDT
[#3]
They backed out but took all the ammo with them . Sure you can have a gun , but will use your tax money to and all the ammo!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:10:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
They backed out but took all the ammo with them . Sure you can have a gun , but will use your tax money to and all the ammo!

Iraq and Afghanistan heard of them?   Guess what rifle they use and guess whos buying them along with thier ammo.  USG is buying up the ammo though not for why you think though.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Stock up my man... stock up.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#6]
My understanding is that you cannot use a post barrel to build a weapon that is not importable.  In other words, it would be illegal to assemble a kit into something that cannot be imported....right?  Since we can't import pre '89 configuration rifles, we couldn't build one to look as such  - whether it's 922r compliant or not.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#7]
So that goes for STG's and SA 58's and everything???
So FAL's, AK's...Boy this may suck more than some think
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:35:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So that goes for STG's and SA 58's and everything???
So FAL's, AK's...Boy this may suck more than some think

Damn Jicky, you just ruined my evening.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My understanding is that you cannot use a post barrel to build a weapon that is not importable.  In other words, it would be illegal to assemble a kit into something that cannot be imported....right?  Since we can't import pre '89 configuration rifles, we couldn't build one to look as such  - whether it's 922r compliant or not.

But how can you make a pre '89 rifle? Wouldn't it require using only foreign made parts?  Since we can't do that anyway, how could it be pre '89 configured?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:18:47 AM EDT
[#10]
yeah what I want to know......

basically we can import full parts kits if the bbl is destroyed, and have to import bbl separately?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:09:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But how can you make a pre '89 rifle? Wouldn't it require using only foreign made parts?  Since we can't do that anyway, how could it be pre '89 configured?

We're all building pre '89 look-alikes all the time...it's just that they follow the 922r ruling from the '68 GCA.  Until it's tested - which it won't be, or the BATF is crystal clear, which they won't be, no one can say for sure what the deal is.  The BATF says they cannot be built into non-importable configurations...technically, they can't now since we have to add the US parts.  So, I took that to mean we could no longer build them as we have.  We could only reproduce something they will let come into this country that they have classifed as "sporting".  As far as I know, no AK meets that criteria since US parts have to be added....am I confusing you yet?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:13:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Stop scaring me with talk of new bans  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:25:39 AM EDT
[#13]
The Bulgarian and Romanian single stack mag well AK rifles are seen as 'sporting' long arms. The Russian VEPR and SAIGA rifles are classified as 'sporting' long arms because of their unique magazine design. I would think that these rifles will be importable after the first of the year.
What do you think? Thanks.

Harlan
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:58:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Its not worth it Voldermortist. No matter which way you spin it and who you ask you will come up with the same thing, nothing. I think there has been at least five+ post trying to get at the same thing. Well I'll tell you what you want to hear. Call Zastava and they will custom make you a .308 target rifle in the configuration you want throw in a receiver and parts kit for free. They will also hand deliver it with two cases of ammo for a single 100$ bill. Break down buy a m90 it will be worth it, or you can hold out and see if I was telling you the truth.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Harlan, the VEPR takes standard AK mags, unlike the Saiga, without modification.  Well, in 7.62 anyway.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:48:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Isn't the Saiga  considered sporting since they don't have a pistol grip? And don't the Veprs come in with butthole stocks?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Now that I have been reminded, the VEPR rifles come into the country as a sporting use rifle and then are modified to use standard AK mags. I am unsure of the modifications done before presented to the U.S. market. It could be the VEPR rifles are imported as single stack firearms and then the mag well modified for double stack mags.
Thanks for the reminder.

Harlan
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:43:01 PM EDT
[#18]
The Veprs and Saigas are importable because they do not accept Military high capicity magazines when they are imported...
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I have two AK's, I am ready to go they should last me until I die.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:54:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I have two AK's

That's all???
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:42:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have two AK's

That's all???

Yep maybe I will get on more one day with the third hole. I have lots of other guns so I am good to go, now for are future childern shame on U MISTER GOVERMENT. MY Ak's that are SA will out last me.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:23:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Hell the importers should already know. They just aren't talking. Fill out the form 6 see if it gets approved.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top