Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/19/2005 2:05:49 PM EDT
Okay, I could never figure out as to why a barrel will burst if there is mud in it. Anyone know as to why? And will the barrel get damaged if you have anything other simple things inside of it, such as a blade of grass?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#1]
where have you seen a barrel bursting from mud?  I've seen someone jam a bullet in the end of a barrel with a hammer, and the rifle shot it out, and damaged the end of the barrel very lightly.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:13:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:18:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Very excessive pressure can result in an obstructed bore,many factors determine the extent of damage,how heavy or light is the bbl,caliber/charge,extent of the obstruction................................

I've heard of water,mud causing a rupture but I've never seen it,and I've had many rifles submerged in water and mud!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:13:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The Myth Busters did thier best to banana peel a barrel and couldn't do it. They took a 12Ga Mossberg (I think it was a mossy anyway), jammed the barrel into about a foot of mud, got it packed in there real good, fired it and it bulged it slightly. I am sure that a shotgun is a lot different than a high powered rifle, but I would bet that most rifle barrels are way overbuilt and the bolt would give out long before the barrel.

But imagine what a damascus twist shotgun would do if the barrel gave out.  Pure Elmer Fudd!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I think squib loads have damaged more guns than mud. I don't remember the story on this one but I think is was a bad round stuck in the barrel.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:57:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:05:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I think squib loads have damaged more guns than mud. I don't remember the story on this one but I think is was a bad round stuck in the barrel.

www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=73159qgGc&i=738875

Wow
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:50:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Holy hell!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:17:32 AM EDT
[#9]
damn.....
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:50:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

That could ruin your day.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#11]
ruin the day,..................sheeesh that would ruin my year!!! I wonder if that hurt???
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:09:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Okay, I could never figure out as to why a barrel will burst if there is mud in it. Anyone know as to why? And will the barrel get damaged if you have anything other simple things inside of it, such as a blade of grass?

Rapid coimpression of air between the obstruction and the bullet being sent up the bore,  beyond the tensil strength of the barrel wall. It causes a ring(buldge) in some barrels, while splitting others wide open. Depends on the strength of the barrel wall.

Depends if the obstruction is enough to cause a bullet to lodge or is tight enough to contain the pressure of the air being compressed behind it in the bore and ahead of the bullet or shot charge being fired. Doubtful if a blade of grass would do it.

I've ringed the barrel of a machinegun and continued to use it for many months before changing it out.
It worked ok, but I finally changed it when it was convenient at a friends shop.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:18:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I saw the Mythbusters episode, too.

Anybody notice that the narrator kept saying "squid load" instead of "squib load".  He did it 4 times. Drove me nuts.

That freakish chick said it correctly, though.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:21:09 AM EDT
[#14]
ive seen a rem with a banana peel barrel from snow
but thats a vary high pressure system  

and your working with an ak where the "slop" is alot greater
you can pack your ak with mud even shoot it underwater
wont change a thang its just gonna go bang again and again
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:46:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I've seen older shotguns barrels peeled open like bananas from mud and snow (model 12s etc.) not as old as damascus.
I extremely doubt is is compressed air that bulges the barrel if there was that much compression the obstructing bullet would move or give way. More than likely the elastic limits of the steel are exceeded because the normal time/pressure curve has been upset by the obstruction and the gas pressure pushing the bullet has now been allowed to build up in the area and the steel which is already somewhere in its elastic point is pushed past its' limit and subsequentially ruptures.
For example a 7.62mm M80 cartridge does this in .0014 of a second-generates about 52,000 psi and a horsepower equivalent of 4880-now put an obstruction in the barrel, where does all that potential work go? It has to go somewhere. Sometimes it leads to a barrel rupturing, an action giving way, shearing locking lugs, bulging etc.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top