Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/17/2005 3:58:07 PM EDT
    Will an AK be accurate enough to shoot in a tactical match? Like in three/two gun? I have a Romanian Wasr-10 with wood stock.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#1]
depends on how good you are with it.  I've seen guys do just fine with their AKs in three gun
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:02:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
depends on how good you are with it.  I've seen guys do just fine with their AKs in three gun

As good as AR shooters?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw a iron sighted 76239 VEPRK out shoot some good AR's with EOThingies at an informal Illinois arfcom tacmatch. I learned its the shooter not the gun. I say go for it!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I saw a iron sighted 76239 VEPRK out shoot some good AR's with EOThingies at an informal Illinois arfcom tacmatch. I learned its the shooter not the gun. I say go for it!!

Yup.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:51:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As good as AR shooters?

Templar and va_gunnut consistantly place in the top three with AKs at the Cavalier matches.

It really boils down to training and practice.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:09:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As good as AR shooters?

Templar and va_gunnut consistantly place in the top three with AKs at the Cavalier matches.

It really boils down to training and practice.

Absolutely true, I took my 103 to one of those matches ... but then again, I suck and had not even had a chance tp sight the rifle. Had I practiced and sighted my rifle I would have done better. It's a, once again, a matter of practice
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:10:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I run my WASR at Practical Rifle.. +10 on its the shooter not the gun... the top placers tend to be guys shooting A1s Iron sighted...

no matter how many toys you buy for your rifle the money is better spent on Range Time..

just in my group there tends to be 4 AKs a 2 SAR's, Aresenal, and my WASR.. both guys with the SARs run pretty damn good.. one useally places in the top 10..

Jess
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:13:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Wasn't that you K?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:23:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Like the other guys have already stated. It's the shooter not the gun in most instances. Given the same guy with practice with both rifles he should  be better with the AR. Just a more friendlier rifle ingeneral. But just go out and have fun. practice and get better. Build yourself an AR to your likeing and run the course with it. Swap them out everyother match. Just have fun... WarDawg
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:05:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:24:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:39:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I took my SLR-101 and i did good.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:26:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Eh, I might have behind that VEPR, but its not really the point. I love that VEPR but it wasnt the key to me taking the iron sight class. I am very lucky to live on a farm and I shoot a lot of "practical shooting drills" or tactical [ ] drills if you will. Unlike the majority of guys I competed against who dont have the opportunity to do these things I have been runnin' and gunnin' ever since typical range shooting got boring a few years ago. I was just lucky in the match, and instead of a mount and optics, I spent my money on practice ammo. SHooting is just like basketball, painting, or sex; to be good you have to practice a lot.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#14]

EVERYTHING is dependent on how the stage is set up.

Make the targets far and small and the AK users will be crying for better accuracy. If an AK hater runs things he can make you look like a fool with simple course changes that the ARs will simply find a little more challenging.

There is virtually no difference between an AR and an AK in CQB. But as distances grow and targets shrink in size, it can quickly get beyond the accuracy potential of the AK and it’s cheap ammo.

I’ve seen a superman with an iron sighted AK clean up against ARs at under 300 yard distances I thought it was not possible at, but he was one of a ten-million kind of guy. Make the targets a little smaller or harder to see with irons and the AK is so far out of its element even he can’t compete.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:59:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
EVERYTHING is dependent on how the stage is set up.

Make the targets far and small and the AK users will be crying for better accuracy. If an AK hater runs things he can make you look like a fool with simple course changes that the ARs will simply find a little more challenging.

There is virtually no difference between an AR and an AK in CQB. But as distances grow and targets shrink in size, it can quickly get beyond the accuracy potential of the AK and it’s cheap ammo.

I’ve seen a superman with an iron sighted AK clean up against ARs at under 300 yard distances I thought it was not possible at, but he was one of a ten-million kind of guy. Make the targets a little smaller or harder to see with irons and the AK is so far out of its element even he can’t compete.

Yup. The course I shot has very AK friendly, all under 80yds, and no mag change. that was huge. Besides the practice part of it you should also own and be proficient with both types of weapons. Show up to the match with both rifles and if possible look at the type of match before choosing your tool for the job. AK's are just fun though, and soemtimes you get strange looks.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:27:12 PM EDT
[#16]

You are correct about being proficient with both types of weapons. Sometimes they make you exchange rifles with another shooter for a portion of one stage. One time I got a M4forgery with one of those extremely forward mounted compact ACOGs and I could not figure out you had to put your eye so extra far farward to properly see. It never occured to me as I had never used one before. It's a stupid design, but you better know about it and every other design if you want to a well rounded rifleman.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You are correct about being proficient with both types of weapons. Sometimes they make you exchange rifles with another shooter for a portion of one stage. One time I got a M4forgery with one of those extremely forward mounted compact ACOGs and I could not figure out you had to put your eye so extra far farward to properly see. It never occured to me as I had never used one before. It's a stupid design, but you better know about it and every other design if you want to a well rounded rifleman.

Good point, come to think about it Ive never shot through an Acog.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:07:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Most ACOGs are as simple as any scope to use. Some of the Compact ACOCs are also easy to use. But there are a few Compact ACOGs that couple short eye relief with the same mounting position the longer eye relief models have.

If you are a nose to the charging handle shooter you have met your match with them because you will find your head is still waaay too far back!  They are mounted insanely and unnaturally forward. It's not something you figure out on a rifle you are expected to immediately begin engaging targets with. Even after I got one of my own I was WTF and never got used to it. Finally I put it on a flattop (in a LaRue) where I can mount it further back where it should be. Some people that keep them on A1s and A2s drill a mounting hole further back in the carry handle to get them in the correct position.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:05:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Been awhile since I did a match, but I do pratice with both rifles. M14's and Fal's, G3's ect... LOL. Good advise guys . Go out and shoot to get better and learn. learn what your rifle can do and what it reliably can't... WarDawg
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top