User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2005 12:02:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#1]
It is getting to be quite rediculous.

I know who youre talking about on receivers - and they cant deliver.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:29:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Tell me about it, everythng is backordered or out of stock.

I have emailed many a seller on Gunbroker.com about a firearms and many of them never have the firearm in stock.  How can they sell a gun they don't have?

On a brighter note, I ordered a Kreb's KTR-03S back in October and was told in November that they may be done around the end of December or possibly in January.  Well, I got it last week, about a month early.  That is good Publicn Relations right there.  Always overestimate how long it will take.  Gunsmiths are notorious for keeping firearms months past when they say they will be done.  Heck, one gunsmith had one of my AK's so long (over 6 months) that he did the work for free.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy more kits...YOu can worry about receivers next year.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Blame almost everyone here, just like a few months ago with gas. Everyone is in a panic to get more kits and build them now or at least buy the receivers now. Well it will probably change in a few months. Everyone will stock up now and who knows, maybe there will be a flood of receivers that sell for less because they anticipate the surge of kit purchases and make too many. I know what its like not getting shit on time, its part of life. I own a paint shop and people never send what they say they will when they tell you. Also the owners are to blame sometimes by not coming in and telling you what they want done to their stuff. What kills me is when they bitch about how long it takes to restore a car but they dont want to tell you what to order or come and pay for it when it gets here. Good luck, your customers will understand when you tell them what is going on, that still doesnt help with the loss of income now.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Hang in there!! It isn't always easy, but you have to have faith in what you are doing. Just be honest and up front with your vendors and customers. It isn't always easy - but it does pay off in the long run....

Oh - and BTW, IM sent.

Tint
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Well..... After reading enough comments like this, it looks like my next project will be a set of jigs to bend flats.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I hope after the first of the year everything will be back in stock or at least partially.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:11:12 PM EDT
[#10]
It's good to see that someone has stuff in inventory, I have also noticed that for the most part everyone is out of everything( recievers, ammo, parts, ... ) anyone know why it is taking so long to restock everything?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:50:00 AM EDT
[#11]
well can i say i feel your pain!
i do..... i really do.

you didnt tell me you were low on 5.45 when can you pic it up? when do you need it? i think i have 500 rounds its yours.

the ammo is yours if you need it. just contact me you know how to reach me.  i need to give you those 2 kits anyway im afraid work has me booked. im the only one with out family so Call is mine till the end of the 1st week in Jan.
so no travel.

Ronald
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:30:16 AM EDT
[#12]
No ammo

No recievers

No Yugo underfolders left at SOG

Crap, I think God is sending me a sign to go back to my AR's.  I have been trying to get into an AK for 2 months now, and keep getting stonewalled!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:47:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
No ammo

No recievers

Crap, I think God is sending me a sign to go back to my AR's.  I have been trying to get into an AK for 2 months now, and keep getting stonewalled!

AK ammo may be more expensive than it has been in the past, but it's still a hell of alot cheaper than XM193.  I don't see how the AK "ammo shortage" is any reason to go back to AR's.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:25:16 AM EDT
[#14]
No, He is saying keep saving your money to buy it when it comes available again, shortly I hope.

Quoted:
No ammo

No recievers

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#15]
ok here is what i have on backorder
2 ewbanks
at least one global
1k of 5.45
some of those 10pack ak mags
plinker jig and handguard jig
and I'm waiting of a NATO stock I bought from EGGBOAT to show up

who else has stuff on backorder and what are you waiting on
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:40:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Ok, as far as AK receivers goes, what seems to be the "real" hold up ?

If Global has made heat treated receivers in the past, then why are they not able to make them now ?  Did they somehow "forget" how they heat treated the last ones....

Their website claims that they are European spec.... blah blah, I think everyone here would disagree with that. Anyway, the rumor mill around here states that Global said that they had receiver warping / heat treatment issues and that is why they are so far behind.

Again, if they made useable receivers in the past that were Euro spec. then why all of the sudden are they having heat treating issues ???  Am I the only one not getting this  

Now if Global and Ewbanks came out and said "We cannot keep up with current demand".... that is one thing, but it seems like everyone here is getting the same run-around; " Just 2 more weeks " or " we are out of stock now " or " we are full of shit and have no idea how to heat a potato much less an AK receiver "

> Ok, I made that last one up, but some of you are thinking the same thing

Here are some "facts" pasted from Global's website about their uber receivers :

These receivers are unique in the USA because the correct Russian MIL-SPEC metal is used, shaped, heat treated, then the rails are welded into place. They are then stress relieved as required my Europes Militaries. The correct final step in receiver preparation is to CNC all openings, bolt carrier/extractor rails, mag slot and axis holes. These receivers we feel are superior to any other US stamped receiver and have no comparison with any of its type ever offered before in this country.

Here is a little more from their site :

Our fully heat treated 1.0 mm receiver shells exceed the strength and quality standards of any produced in the US. Built to the same exacting military standards as our 1.6 mm receivers these rival any European made 1.0 mm receivers today.

Does anyone even know how Global heat treats their receivers ?  Do they use a kiln, torch, or a hair dryer ?

I'm not trying to knock Global's receivers because that is what I want my gun built on, but they really should take that false shit off their website !  If they cannot make a consistant products that really does rival foreign receivers, then they should not be advertising as such  

BTW: Duke, you are not alone when you feel used and insulted when you get told the same shit over and over again. Look at the ORF "RF5" Group buy that has went unchallenged by anyone on this site !!!  A group buy over 1 year old, with no pictures of even a prototype receiver. Promise after promise with not one single thread of evidence...

I believe that people in this industry (anything gun related) just really do not know what the TRUTH is. I have not been in this game long, but I have been lied to so many times it almost makes me want to never get involved with "builds" because I have yet to run into any parts maker that has told the truth. Buying new guns from real companies may be more expensive, but at least there is little, or no drama or lies involved.

Just my 2 cents though  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:03:28 PM EDT
[#17]
To me, dealers that keeps stuff in stock get a ++, and I've no problem in paying extra for this.
Having stuff in stock is a big value and dealers that do this should IMO be rewarded.
Because of the service they offer, and because having stuff in stock does cost.
I long time ago removed from my list of dealers, the ones that keeps nada in stock.

- Ice
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:03:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Blame almost everyone here, just like a few months ago with gas. Everyone is in a panic to get more kits and build them now or at least buy the receivers now. Well it will probably change in a few months. Everyone will stock up now and who knows, maybe there will be a flood of receivers that sell for less because they anticipate the surge of kit purchases and make too many.

Once again, totally off base.  Sure people buying kits buy receivers, but the 2 major problems are.

Global Trades shutting down during hurricanes.
Having heat treatment issues with warped receiver about 50% of the time.
Switching heat treaters while have a big backorder problem due to the hurricanes.

and

People bad mouthing another receiver manufacturer and when the truth comes out, the people doing the bad mouthing have never purchased anything from the companies but base their statements on rumours and issues of other people who have an axe to grind.  This does nothing but stop a manufacturer from investing in improvements to their product or producing large amounts of the product with the possibility of getting stuck with the large investment and nothing to show for it.

Panic buying by people who reacted to the ATF's barrel ban letter played a smaller part than a receiver manufacturer shutting down.  

Quoted:
Ok, as far as AK receivers goes, what seems to be the "real" hold up ?

If Global has made heat treated receivers in the past, then why are they not able to make them now ?  Did they somehow "forget" how they heat treated the last ones....

Their website claims that they are European spec.... blah blah, I think everyone here would disagree with that. Anyway, the rumor mill around here states that Global said that they had receiver warping / heat treatment issues and that is why they are so far behind.

Again, if they made useable receivers in the past that were Euro spec. then why all of the sudden are they having heat treating issues ???  Am I the only one not getting this

The problem is not that everyone is buying up all the receivers due to the number of kits coming in so much as there are 3 major receiver manufacturers currently and the one that most people currently prefer Global Trades has had some major setbacks lately.

First, during the hurricanes Global Trades shut down operations, I believe at least twice.

Second, Global Trades switched heat treaters.  Why?  I guess they were having some issues with about 50% of their receivers being warped during heat treatment and not enough capacity to meet demand.

Third, the new company doing heat treatment could now be having the same problems.

This isn't a rumour as it comes from Global Trades on the gunsnet forum.

Jimmy @ Armory USA
Guns Network Sponsor

12-06-2005

Sorry for being gone so long

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys.

Sorry for the long time without visiting. Things have been pretty busy here and this just didn't make it to the top of the list.

Here are some updates:
1. 1mm receivers. We are over 1,000 receivers backordered as I write this. We had been getting 200 per week through the heat-treating process. Our treater just spent a ton of money increasing capacity, and now thinks he can get 500 per week done. This week is the first experiment--we have 400 in process as I write this.

At this rate, we hope to have the backorders out of the way by the end of the year. And we now will find out what the next limitation is. We are working on new fixtures for the CNC mill. I hired a degreed CNC engineer from Bulgaria, and he is rapidly rationalizing my milling operations. So I hope this will not be the choke point.

We intend to make as many as the market demands. I just hate turning down money from eager customers.   Link

Jimmy @ Armory USA

09-24-2005

I am back in the office, and everything is fine here. I ended up staying here after watching the storm till Friday morning. We had about 12 hours of heavy north wind, and surprisingly little rain. I don't think we have had even one inch so far. It is still blowing quite a bit, but nothing serious. Nothing is open anywhere around here. Stores and restaraunts will be opening back up over the next 3-4 days. Right now we are camping out. I lost power at home for about 5 hours, same here at the shop. Both are on as I write this, and the alarm is working so things are looking up. All I had for protection was a FA M92 and a M249 SAW.

My staff is scattered to the four winds, and won't all be back until Wednesday at the earliest, so we obviously won't be building receivers or shipping orders. We apologize for the delays, but life sometimes has a way of riding roughshod over our best-laid plans.

I probably won't be answering the phone while I am here in the office. There is not much I can do about things till the troups get back.

Regarding the receiver situation, we had a large batch ready to go to heat-treat just as Rita scrambled our plans. We will try hard to get them treated and into final production this week, but no guarantees on this. My key receiver builder is in San Antonio, and lives in Galveston, so I don't have a clue when he will be back at work.  Link

Jimmy @ Armory USA

10-11-2005  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have changed heat treaters to get our yield up--the last one warped up to half of some batches. We are trying hard to get caught up. I think things will straighten out over the next two weeks.

But my backorder file is really thick now. I am working my crew overtime to catch up.   Link

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:24:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Our fully heat treated 1.0 mm receiver shells exceed the strength and quality standards of any produced in the US. Built to the same exacting military standards as our 1.6 mm receivers these rival any European made 1.0 mm receivers today.

Does anyone even know how Global heat treats their receivers ?  Do they use a kiln, torch, or a hair dryer ?

I'm not trying to knock Global's receivers because that is what I want my gun built on, but they really should take that false shit off their website !  If they cannot make a consistant products that really does rival foreign receivers, then they should not be advertising as such  

I believe I read in the past that they were heat treated in a kiln with a fixture to limit the warping, but my memory may be wrong.

Ted Marshall posted that he tested the receivers for heat treatment and found that they fell within the correct hardness, but had issues with the dimples.  If that ruins them for you as not being a correct European receiver then you might be better off getting a donor rifle or a Firing Line milled receiver.  But if you are just building up a Romanian kit, in my opinion you would be ahead using a Ewbanks receiver.

I had my Bulgarian kit built on a Global Trades receiver and I am happy with it as of now.  Dimples don't bother me and if the heat treatment holds up, I will be happy.

If Harlan/NDS D.C.I. ever comes out with a proper AK receiver then maybe it will surpass the quality issues of some of the other receivers available out there.

Everyone complains that US manufacturers should be able to come out with better receivers than those available, but you don't have any large corporations coming out and making these.  These are all small companies with limited assets.

No doubt Arsenal/K-VAR could make the best receivers if they would, but they have no intentions on doing that, and can't even get the majority of items on their website in stock.    
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#20]

All I had for protection was a FA M92 and a M249 SAW.

Gee, the poor guy!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:48:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top