Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/14/2005 7:21:52 PM EDT
I picked up a used SAR-1 over the weekend that needs a little TLC.  I took it out to the range and it shoots like a champ.  It’s solid, sound and not a bit of can’t.  I have some time off over the Holidays and figured fixing it up would be better than a honey-do list.  I wanted to thank everyone here for giving me some ideas and showing me how to do it.

I ordered some Aluma Hyde II from Brownell’s and it arrived today.  I sprayed a magazine to test things out and I am very happy with the results.  After it cures and I have a chance to throw it around a bit I’m going to do the entire rifle.  Moly or Gun Kote would have been nice but Aluma Hyde seemed like the best choice since I didn’t have to bead blast or bake.  I’m doing all of this in my third floor apartment. I just have to wait a week or so before I see how well it turns out…

I plan to sand and refinish the stock too. I got the recipe for JeepCreep’s red stain formula but was wondering if I can pick up something at Home Depot that will come close.  Maybe a Minwax stain and a Poly or Varnish?  Any color recommendations?

I also want to put in a new trigger group.  I’ve read a lot about the RSA trigger but it’s a little more than I would like to pay.  Can anyone recommend another good upgrade to this Century POS?

I also have a rented threading kit and AK-74 muzzle break on the way.

This rifle will either be a disaster or turn out very nice.   Either way, I’ll post some pics when it’s all done.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:25:42 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds like a plan, its what id do if I could (NY State)...I hope it goes well for you

definitly post pics either way
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:51:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Try a G2 trigger.Good luck
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:05:51 PM EDT
[#3]
You shouldn't have to sand the wood very much or, ideally, at all, unless there is surface damage that you want to get rid of. Soaking the current finish off should do most of the job.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#4]
The G2 trigger is good.. you can pick them up for $35-40.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top