Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/13/2005 2:39:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:41:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Besides you not being able to own one I cant answer your question.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#3]
The DCI M70 receivers are designed specifically for the Yugo M70 kits. The Yugo M72 RPK kit will also fit the M70 receiver, but the receiver will have the two holes for the top cover locking pin parts.
I do not recommend the assembly of Romanian RPK kits on the DCI M70 receiver.

Harlan
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:11:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
yes we can buy them for a very short time. many here would already have them if others would help us out and ship non banned recievers to our few willing FFLs.

Please elaborate.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Screw build? I don't see why not. The only thing I would worry about is the front hole on the trunion. I haven't removed the rivet yet, so I don't know the thickness of the wall at the bottom. It looks a little thin. Would the threads cut through? The middle hole is a nice .20 inches thick. Everything else is pretty normal as far as screwing goes. There have been many successful screw builds.

Centerfire has some VG bore kits, but they run $159. I bought one just a few weeks ago and was very pleased. Well worth the money.

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:34:45 PM EDT
[#6]
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=25429

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=25432
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:07:44 AM EDT
[#7]
So let me get this straight.

You guys are buying stripped lowers which do not have names on them or at least arent named specifically on the list (I use to live in Ca).  You are not assembling them because if you did and you had some of the evil features it would then be an assault tifle and illegal.  Instead you are hopeing the DOJ declares your receiver an assault weapon giving you 90 days to register it.  Onece it is registered it can now have all the evil features.

If for some reason this is true, there is no way I would do a screw build on it.  Do it right and get rivels put into it.  This will have to last a lifetime and screw builds are not proven yet.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:25:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:01:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I still dont understand how this works.

Either 1.)  a rifle is banned by function and design (ala AK system or AR system) or 2.) specifically by name or 3.) by evil features.

If you are able to buy an AK lower, you will still need to be compliant with the evil features more then likely needing a fixed 10 round magazine if you are allowed to own the AK varient at all.  But I didnt think even owning an AK type weapon was legal.  To be legal it would have to be approved by the DOJ just like the FAB-10 rifles are.

Seems you Ca are being relly stupid about this and close to becoming felons.  No neautered weaponi is worth spending time in jail for.

Thos two links really dont tell you anything either.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:17:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Just as I thought, the whole huh ub is about buying a stripped lower as they are not banned by name, function, or number.

With the AK, you could buy the stripped lower, but then when you went to assemble it you would have to fix a 10 round magazine in it and load the fixed magazine with stripper clips.

This so called "loophole" the Ca guys found doesnt exempt you from the evil features list.

Wouldnt that be fun having to pull the cover, guide rod, bolt, bolt carrier, and gas piston just to load 10 rounds into your magazine.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:41:03 AM EDT
[#11]
The Special Olympics of AK Building...Why don't you move.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:46:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Mountian Dew burns when it goes through the nose
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:14:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:23:06 AM EDT
[#14]
not commenting on the truth of the case sited, or what the DOJ in California is going to do (I live in Georgia anyway) but apparantly there is a run on receivers not banned specifically by name.  A friend of mine sells AR Stag receivers, and he says he has sold 4 in one day to California FFL's for delivery to customers there....
Don't know whats up exactly.....but there seems to be a load of parts heading to our left coast
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:35:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
the doj said they are going to update the AW list. these will be AW in a week or so. but even if they did not they could still be built without a pistol grip or other evil features and keep the detatchable mag. the AR and AK series ban was overruled by the case harrot vs. kings county. that said each reciever had to be banned by name and model. that is why in the letters it says "though identical to banned reciever" or words to that effect. the fact is if you get a non named reciever to a cali FFl and start DROS before the list is updated you are leagl and will have a 90 day window to register them as AW and then build them just like it was 1999.

Very good explanation thank you.

But how do you know there will be a 90 day window?  Edit;  NM I just remembered my law class teaching.  A law cannot be passed that retroactively affects thing.  Meaning if you owned this lower and purchased it completely legally then a legislature cannot suddenly put this on a list and make it illegal to own and throw you in jail for owning it.  If you can prove you owned it before the deadline (purpose of registering period) then you can still own it.  Or at least thats how its supposed ot happen.  I know there are ways around it I guess.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:50:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:02:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
i believe the second link i gave talks about this. the doj agent said this to the ffl and many people waiting in line heard him say it. this is real. there has been hundreds if not thousands of non named recievers imported or in the mail here right now. this is only going to be a few days more. overnight shipping is the way to go.

Couldn't have said it better myself

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
the doj said they are going to update the AW list. these will be AW in a week or so. but even if they did not they could still be built without a pistol grip or other evil features and keep the detatchable mag. the AR and AK series ban was overruled by the case harrot vs. kings county. that said each reciever had to be banned by name and model. that is why in the letters it says "though identical to banned reciever" or words to that effect. the fact is if you get a non named reciever to a cali FFl and start DROS before the list is updated you are leagl and will have a 90 day window to register them as AW and then build them just like it was 1999.

Why would there be a 90 day window to register them as an assault weapon?  Just seems like you guy are assuming an awful lot thinking they will allow you to register them as an assault weapon.

Why wouldnt it just make it illegal to own one?

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:23:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Harlan,

You ought to be damn proud that you are part of an organization that will be banned in California.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:25:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
they will open the 90 day registration period because that is how the law is written. that is how they did it in 2000 as well as the 50bmg ban last year.

looks like i am in for a few dci recievers and a stag reciever.

thanks again Harlan

Unless they dont add them to the list.  Because then the generic items like collapsible stock, detachable magazine, etc would apply.  And then you would still be stuck.

Its almost in their best interest to leave them off the list and make all the gun owners still abide by the generic rules which would classify something as an assault weapon.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top