Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/8/2005 8:21:51 PM EDT
Check this out... not a bad price for the guys that don't want to hassle with a build (and want a new barrel)... This is NOT my sale ad.. just FYI

www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/semi4sale.cgi?read=122743

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks Dr., I wonder what U.S. reciever they are using.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 8:31:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Any word on whether its got a chrome lined barrel or not?  Knowing Century, they'll probably keep the barrel non-chrome lined, and then say that its for originallity, since the real ones don't have chrome lined barrels.     Tagged for more barrel info!  If so, I may have to buy another AK as soon as the X-mas bills are paid off!!!
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#3]
They are not chrome lined if they are the Yugo underfolders for about $400.  I asked about these a few weeks ago in another thread.  It is a Yugo underfolder kit built on a Dan Coonan Industries Yugo receiver with a new non-chrome-lined U.S. made barrel.  

Heck of a deal for $400, even with no chrome lining!

[ETA]  SOG has them listed for $395, and Centerfire Systems sent me an email saying they would have them for about $400 in the near future.  AIM Surplus is also supposed to have them soon.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag because I have been looking for my first AK and I like the under-folders. However with X-mass stuff I think I'll wait to see if SOG or AIM does get them cheaper. How important is chrome when it comes to AK's?
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 10:31:41 PM EDT
[#5]
This would make a hell of a trunk gun/ secondary SHTF weapon.  I think this will be the first Century product that I get excited about.  I WANT ONE!!!
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 4:17:45 AM EDT
[#6]
If people are wondering, the dealer price is $350.

The down side about these rifles are:

1. Phosphate finish, instead of bluing.
2. American made barrels (button drawn rifling)
3. The slant muzzle brake is permanently on? That sucks!
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:06:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:12:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Pretty damn cool.  The price is certainly right.

The finish bit, no problem; easily remedied.

The brake can always be removed and the threads cleaned up, so that's not a biggie either.

I just wonder what type of fire control parts they are using...
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:13:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Where did you get that info from?  Not that I don't believe it, I just like to avoid uncofirmed rumors.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:59:26 AM EDT
[#10]

I just wonder what type of fire control parts they are using...

YES...This would be VERY nice to know so that I can determine if I need to figure a new FCG into the budget just like I did with the other Century AK I bought..
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:45:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

What kind of rifling is used on the factory AK series and what is the downside of button drawn?

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 8:39:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Most AK barrels (made in ComBloc countries) use Cold Hammer Forge barrels. Button Drawn rifling requires semi-soft material in the rifling process. The  cold hammer forging produces a harder materal in the rifling, doubling the barrels life, over conventional button drawn rifling.

My understanding is that Century is paying less then 20 dollars per barrel, from there vendor.

wp
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 9:27:09 AM EDT
[#13]
lots of AR-15 barrels (among others) are button rifled.  they're not trying to pull a fast one.

The barrel is in the same hardness state whether it's broach cut, hammer fordged, or button cut.

Less than $20 per barrel is about right when bought in the volume they are dealing with.  

Caspian

Link Posted: 12/9/2005 9:33:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 9:43:32 AM EDT
[#15]
thanks for the link, great info.

Button rifling in its common form is an American development and the overwhelming majority of barrels made in the US are rifled this way. Custom shops such as Hart, Lilja, Shilen and the large high production barrel makers like Douglas and Wilson Arms use the buttoning method to rifle their barrels. The technology has spread and there are a few other small custom barrel makers around the world who do button rifling. Neville Madden (Maddco) and Dennis Tobler in Australia. Anshutz in Germany, better known for their .22 target rifles but also a large producer of hunting rifles also button their barrels.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 10:03:38 AM EDT
[#16]
WOW.... looks like he raised his price since lastnight. They were $400 and now they are $486!!!. Lucky for him he used a password so he could edit his thread

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 10:50:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Does this mean that there are USA made barrels for an AK that are reasonably priced?????

So the concern about barrel-less kits is groundless?

Link Posted: 12/9/2005 12:41:44 PM EDT
[#18]
MMMmmmm what do I buy myself for Xmas, underfolder AK or CMP M1 Garand??
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 1:02:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Garand you damn fool!
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 1:27:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

any real arfcom'er knows the real answer is: BOTH!
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 12:27:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Gats Guns here in IL has one of these underfolders, I handled today. I hate to say. but it makes the WASR10 look pretty. There was an Arsenal underfolder right above it and that looked 3x's nicer.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 1:25:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Non chrome barrel and crappy Century FCG.

I took mine to the range yesterday and two or three rounds out of every mag are stovepiping and there is trigger slap!
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:42:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Try a different sling.h.gif
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Ok has anyone else tried one of these yet?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:34:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I looked at one today and it looked good compared to the wasr it was next to they had it priced at $475.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:28:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Pics of Yugo Century Underfolder.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:18:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Non chrome barrel and crappy Century FCG.

I took mine to the range yesterday and two or three rounds out of every mag are stovepiping and there is trigger slap!

did it come with Yugo Mags?  A builder/FFL friend of mine had built a yugo crink and the yugo mag that came with it was giving the same problems, remedied with another mag.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:13:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Looks nice to me.  I'd be more concerned about the FTF.  I am sure it can be fine tuned.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:19:23 AM EDT
[#29]
I have one and went to the range yesterday.  The thing worked like a champ.  I used some old East German mags I had on hand.  

The slant brake is not permanently affixed, it screws off just fine.

Pretty happy with mine.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:48:52 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

did it come with Yugo Mags?  A builder/FFL friend of mine had built a yugo crink and the yugo mag that came with it was giving the same problems, remedied with another mag.

One Yugo mag and one of unknown origin.  I took the FCG out and polished everything real good I hope to take it to the range this weekend and see if it's working now.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#31]
RaynoEleven, I have one too but the break on mine looks like it was pinned. Was your break hard to unscrew?  Does your Yugo have ZASTAVA printed on the trunion block?

Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:25:46 PM EDT
[#32]
try pushing in the "pin" in towards the rear? and the threads are left hand,
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:55:28 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
try pushing in the "pin" in towards the rear? and the threads are left hand,

+1 the left handed thing got me too.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:11:26 AM EDT
[#35]
It was still REALLY tight! I had to put the end in a vise with some leather blocks to break it free. Once I got it off I cleaned and lubed the threads. When I put it back on I could get it tightened all the way to about the pin notch 1/16" to the pin then had to put it back on the vise to get that last little bit.  I thought about tightening it one turn less but it seemed to wiggle a little too much and figured it could wear the threads after time.

P.S.  I knew about pushing the pin in, just not about the left hand threads
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:58:14 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
It was still REALLY tight! I had to put the end in a vise with some leather blocks to break it free. Once I got it off I cleaned and lubed the threads. When I put it back on I could get it tightened all the way to about the pin notch 1/16" to the pin then had to put it back on the vise to get that last little bit.  I thought about tightening it one turn less but it seemed to wiggle a little too much and figured it could wear the threads after time.

P.S.  I knew about pushing the pin in, just not about the left hand threads

Um, it is supposed to wiggle.  That is normal for an AK brake.  

You porbably overtightened it a turn, al;though it shouldn't affect anything...
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:55:29 AM EDT
[#37]
www.southernohiogun.com
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top