BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/2/2005 11:21:24 PM EDT
Hi All,

What is the absolute BEST quality, most accurate AK in 7.62 available? I have been debating between a milled arsenal versus a VEPR K versus a Krebs custom VEPR (no longer made, but available used). Are there other manufacturers I am overlooking? I would ideally like to keep the cost under $2000. I would like parts to still be available from the original manufacturer. Any insight appreciated. Thanks.

I should mention this will be my SHTF/TEOTWAWKI rifle. So Durability is key. Yeah, I know all AKs are extremely durable. I would assume this would point me toward polymer versus wood stocks, etc for durability.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:39:39 AM EDT
[#1]
SA M7of course!!

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:51:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Another vote for the SAM7.  It's also one of the most expensive

Btw nice classics LUGERMAN!
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:29:13 AM EDT
[#3]
$2000....I'd buy 5 Bulgy kits and pay somebody to build them...
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:37:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hi All,

What is the absolute BEST quality, most accurate AK in 7.62 available? Probably an Arsenal, Inc. SA M7 or a VEPR K. I have been debating between a milled arsenal versus a VEPR K versus a Krebs custom VEPR (no longer made, but available used). I doubt that the Krebs KTR is any more accurate than a standard VEPR. It does have a lot of bells and whistles, though. Are there other manufacturers I am overlooking? A Saiga conversion from AKUSA will be very accurate and high quality. I would ideally like to keep the cost under $2000. That's a lot of money for an AK of any type except class 3. I would like parts to still be available from the original manufacturer. Arsenal, Inc. SA M7, then. Any insight appreciated. Thanks.

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:38:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Get two VEPR Ks with flash supp and spend the rest on ammo.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 5:23:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+1 The VEPR is hands down the most accurate AK out of the box. Remember, higher price does not always mean higher quality.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 7:46:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Another +1 for the Arsenal.  Vepr are very nicely done of course but they don't seem to balance as well as the Arsenal.  In addition the Vepr has the non traditional look.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 7:58:51 AM EDT
[#8]
The amount of money you spend isn't going to change the ballistic capabilities of the 7.62X39 round.  A $2000 dollar AK will shoot the same groups as a $500 AK.  I'll throw in a vote for the Arsenal.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 9:33:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Vepr  all the way! And the KTRs are "supposed" to be more accurate than standard Aks. I would have to say the VEPR is going to be more accurate than anything else your gonna get. And I am sure he already knows that the VEPRs are not traditional looking AKs But Arsenals arent built in rissua!
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 11:03:19 AM EDT
[#10]
do all Veprs use stamped recievers?  I would think for accuracy a milled reciever is better, less flex.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 11:12:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
do all Veprs use stamped recievers?  I would think for accuracy a milled reciever is better, less flex.

yeah they do.  the russkies switched over to stamped a long time ago when they found they lasted longer and generally delivered greater accuracy.  Veprs use RPK thickness receivers too, 1.6mm instead of 1.0 standard.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 11:17:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
$2000....I'd buy 5 Bulgy kits and pay somebody to build them...

I'm not looking for the best value...best economical buy...but the single best rifle for the money.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 11:18:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Just take a VEPR in your hands and handle it. Then come back and tell me how much it flexes
The solid-feeling I experience with a VEPR I hardly get it even with other (non AK) top line rifles I own.
My suggestion is, try both by yourself and do not trust anyone. Make up your minf and choose freely. Enjoy FREEDOM
Now, if only I'd have time to go at the range instead of working even this w/end, I'd report how my new SA M7-R is doing accuracy wise

- Ice
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 11:19:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I don't WANT to spent the entire $2000, just want the best single rifle for under $2000. If it cost $2000, so be it. Cheaper than that would be a nice bonus. I understand more expensive does not necessarily equate with higher quality...but you never know.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 11:21:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Vepr  all the way! And the KTRs are "supposed" to be more accurate than standard Aks. I would have to say the VEPR is going to be more accurate than anything else your gonna get. And I am sure he already knows that the VEPRs are not traditional looking AKs But Arsenals arent built in rissua!hr

Thanks. I don't care about "traditional" looking. Just want the best quality and accuracy period, regardless of looks (of course, don't want a pink rifle with a 40" bbl)
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 11:27:53 AM EDT
[#16]
do u have documentation on this?  I doubt the change was for endurance or accuracy but rather manufacturing simplicity.  1 thing is for sure, u can't dent a milled reciever, whereas stamped recievers do dent (esp the thin skinned euro 1s).  interesting the RPK reciever is only 1.6mm thick.  guess the chinese got it right a long time ago.

Quoted:
yeah they do.  the russkies switched over to stamped a long time ago when they found they lasted longer and generally delivered greater accuracy.  Veprs use RPK thickness receivers too, 1.6mm instead of 1.0 standard.  

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 11:30:43 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Vepr  all the way! And the KTRs are "supposed" to be more accurate than standard Aks. I would have to say the VEPR is going to be more accurate than anything else your gonna get. And I am sure he already knows that the VEPRs are not traditional looking AKs But Arsenals arent built in rissua!

Thanks. I don't care about "traditional" looking. Just want the best quality and accuracy period, regardless of looks (of course, don't want a pink rifle with a 40" bbl)

Ok, buy a VEPR with 20" barrel. I own that rig and it quacks, talks and walks like a kickass duck
I'd choose 7.62x39 as a caliber. Price tag about $550. Awesome accuracy, awesome trigger top-line build level.
If you plan a scope on it, then you can also look in the 308 version, that will allow you longer shooting range.
Price is little bit higher IIRC.
Arsenal are great looking too, much closer to the classical AK, but I'd definitely pick again a VEPR as first AK.

- Ice

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The amount of money you spend isn't going to change the ballistic capabilities of the 7.62X39 round.  A $2000 dollar AK will shoot the same groups as a $500 AK.  I'll throw in a vote for the Arsenal.

+1..
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 11:34:13 AM EDT
[#19]
'nuther ARSENAL vote

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 11:36:08 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
SA M7of course!!

www.huntingpictures.net/photo/002881

You have two Classics???

That's not fair
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#21]
You know, for the most part the people in this forum are split between a VEPR and an Arsenal. I think both are excellent rifles. You can buy both for well under $2000 and still have money for mags and ammo. Since you obviously have the enough money to do that, you may buy both and then determine which you like best. You can always sell the other (which I highly doubt you would want to, regardless of which you choose) and recoup most of your money on the E.E. Worst case you lose around $100 to $150 on the sell, but guarantee you got the better rifle.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#22]
You could just get both.

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 11:42:58 AM EDT
[#23]

Arsenal SA M 7A1-R ( make sure you get the Optic Rail, hense the " - R " )

About  $800.00
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 11:45:36 AM EDT
[#24]
How many of you that vote VEPR Vs. Arsenal have actually handled, inspected, and shot both to determine your favorite?

Also, does krebs just accesorize the VEPR, or does he also fine tune the action, improve the paint/coating, accurize the gun? Seems that if he does improve the mechanics of the VEPR, a Krebs VEPR might be the way to go since the board is clearly divided between the VEPR and Arsenal.

Does anybody customize milled Arsenals? :)

How do the Ak-USA customized AKs compare to the Krebs/VEPRs/Arsenals?

Thanks for all your responses!
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 11:48:14 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
How many of you that vote VEPR Vs. Arsenal have actually handled, inspected, and shot both to determine your favorite?

Also, does krebs just accesorize the VEPR, or does he also fine tune the action, improve the paint/coating, accurize the gun? Seems that if he does improve the mechanics of the VEPR, a Krebs VEPR might be the way to go since the board is clearly divided between the VEPR and Arsenal.

I have handled both. I have shot both. I vote VEPR.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Well, I own both (even if I stil did not fire my SA M7-R ).
I both cases, I'd definitely leave the rifles alone. These are not el-cheapo AK, and they are as good as it gets from the factory.

- Ice
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 11:57:38 AM EDT
[#27]
+1 For VEPR by Robinson.  It seems to be the best match for price and accuracy.  The only thing I've heard bad about them is they seem to be front heavy.  Either way they are both great rifles.  I can't see you having problems.

If your dead set of $2000, but them both.  You should still have enough for good optics and mount, mags, ammo.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have handled both. I have shot both. I vote VEPR.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#29]
I have also shot both, And was more impressed by the VEPR. Just more comfortable with less felt recoil, more accurate and it stands out. People ask about our VEPRs with little to no mention of the arsenal! But its still a top quality AK
Adited for spelling, Thanks biggerstick
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 12:23:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Since people are posting pics, here's some things PARA BELLUM (member brokenbank) has done with some VEPRs.

ETA the pics below are brokenbank's, not mine.

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Since people are posting pics, here's some things Para Bellum (member brokenbank) has done with some VEPRs.

tinypic.com/i4r2i0.jpg

tinypic.com/i4r2uh.jpg

tinypic.com/i4r37m.jpg

What now?!?!?!?!
Who said you cant do anything with a VEPR just didnt have the patience to do anything with a vepr. And Theres more parts to come

ETA: check out the pics on thier site of the VEPR with the snow camo outside!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 12:26:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Ligament, either/or man you really cant go wrong and wont be disappointed.

I own 2 Arsenals ones a SAM-7 SF  and the other is a SLR 105R (5.45 stamped). I also own a VEPR K in 5.45 and used to own a VEPR K in .223

I shoot the hell out of my rifles. My only advice is if you get an Arsenal get one with an optics rail.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 12:42:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Hey BiggerStick47 what kind of stock is that in this photo?

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 12:55:07 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

tinypic.com/i4r2uh.jpg

I believe it's an ACE Ltd. Contact Para Bellum, it's their rifle. Does look damn good, huh?
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

tinypic.com/i4r2uh.jpg

I believe it's an ACE Ltd. Contact Para Bellum, it's their rifle. Does look damn good, huh?

Sure does look good!
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#36]
crazy to pay that much .....buy yourself the next Bulgarian 5.45x39 kit , an Ohio Ordnance Reciever and Send it to Troy Sellars at Inrange.  Save yourself 1400.00 and have a totally reliable accurate SHTF rifle.....I have beat the livin S out of mine with over 6K rounds thru it no jams, and just as accurate as the day I got it from Troy. I own 3 now for less than you are planning to spend.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 4:02:06 PM EDT
[#37]
I like the Vepr too. My Krebs KTR-03

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I like the Vepr too. My Krebs KTR-03

www.huntingpictures.net/photo/000716

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 4:17:58 PM EDT
[#39]
VEPR and Arsenal are great guns, but if you want quality and accuracy i would recommend the WASR low cap converted to high cap!  
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 4:22:51 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
VEPR and Arsenal are great guns, but if you want quality and accuracy i would recommend the WASR low cap converted to high cap!  

That's a great idea, he could buy seven WASRs with his $2000. Surely one of them would function properly.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
That's a great idea, he could buy seven WASRs with his $2000. Surely one of them would function properly.

You know what they say, seven rifles are better than one.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Aresenal
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 4:53:45 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
do u have documentation on this?  I doubt the change was for endurance or accuracy but rather manufacturing simplicity.  1 thing is for sure, u can't dent a milled reciever, whereas stamped recievers do dent (esp the thin skinned euro 1s).  interesting the RPK reciever is only 1.6mm thick.  guess the chinese got it right a long time ago.

http://www.ak-47.us/VEPR_Receivers.php

http://www.ak-47.us/AK-47Receivers.php

good info on there, and as you see opinions do vary.  I do know about milled receivers, had a milled russian SKS i loved dearly, got rid of it because i was young and stoopid.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#45]
TTT
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 3:44:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Where would a custom Firing Line milled reciever AK fit in the quality rankings?
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 4:02:25 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Where would a custom Firing Line milled reciever AK fit in the quality rankings?

They are highly regarded.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#48]
If you want to spend 2 grand, you should wait and see if Sig start's building 550's here in the states.  There are some reputable sources who say it is true.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:41:59 PM EDT
[#49]
both are very nice but the VEPR is too damn heavy
you can't go wrong with either
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#50]
I am going to vote for the Vepr. It is funny when you hear people say they are flimsy because they have a stamped reciever (Laugh) they may flex some but the proof is on the paper after all it is an RPK reciever designed for longer sustained rates of fire. I am not a huge fan of traditional AK furniture and I hate normal AK stocks normaly. The Veprs are about as accurate as you are going to get with an AK and the weight is not that bad especialy on the Carbines. If you do not get a Vepr I would get an Arsenal or a Vector. Just my opinion.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top