Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/13/2005 5:07:01 PM EDT
I'm looking over the workings of my first AK build, and noticed the little nub on the back of the carrier, above the back of the bolt. Am I imagining things, or does said nub act as a barrier that prevents the hammer from striking the firing pin until the bolt is at least somewhat locked? Can an AK fire completely out of battery?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:13:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Good question, I'd imagine it's possible.  I'm sure an AK could potentially fire out of battery, but then again any other weapon can, too.  With an AK, I'd be more concerned about slam-fires because the firing pin doesn't have a spring to keep it away from the primer and certain brands of ammo are known for having high primers (cheap ammo like Wolf) or soft primers (domestic ammo like Winchester).  
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#2]
About the only way I can think of an AK possibly firing out of battery would be from an extremely dirty firing pin,causing the firing pin to freeze in the fire position,or a bent firing pin.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#3]
They certainly can and used to frequently.  But, you and I won't have to worry about that without having a Class III.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I have bumpfired AKs alot and others have, and have never heard of an AK firing out of battery.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, Guess what, they do on occassion do to various circumstances. I have a bolt  from a blown up AK sent in for repairs and have had hammers follow the bolt carrier on bump firing and dirty firing pins and ... It does happen but I wouldn't worry about it so much unless you're doing something stupid. Mario www.pieceofhistoryfirearms.com
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#6]
The AK design is really cool because the bolt has long rotated into battery when the carrier comes forward enough for the hammer to exert pressure on the firing pin. So if it does slamfire, it doesn't go boom. But a stuck, rusted, or dirty pin, as others have said, can ignite the cartridge before the bolt locks in. That's when you're in trouble.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:38:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Has anyone ever tried to put a spring on the FP to keep slam from happening?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:04:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, there's a company that sells them.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:12:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Has anyone ever tried to put a spring on the FP to keep slam from happening?

Arsenal Inc makes guns with spring loaded firing pins, as did Poly Tech and Norinco
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:28:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I believe Kengs was doing a free refit with a spring loaded firing pin for some of their AKs.  That was years (decades?) ago.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top