Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2005 4:36:32 PM EDT
I never had this happen before the other day, and I've built/owned many AKs. I took 6 of my new builds out to the ranch for a work out, I bumped several hundred rounds thru each, I noticed that the hand guards on a few seemed to "shrink". My M92 Krink was a bitch to even get the HG retainer on when I built it, after several drums it now is so loose that it rattles, I'm now trying to shim it up with alluminum foil under the retainer. My Romy did the same thing. I didn't get 'em to light on fire or nothin, but WTF? THey are SOOOOOOO loose that they would give away my position with there rattleing.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#1]
What happens to wood when it dries?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:54:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Yea, I thought about that, but that meens these Krinks were built with wet or "green" lumber
I think the Rommy is laminated, as best I can tel, that's normally made bone dry.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#3]
The Romy upper handguard has to have alot of moisture in it in order to mold and fold the wood.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The Romy upper handguard has to have alot of moisture in it in order to mold and fold the wood.

Lower I'm talk'in about lower HGs here.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
THey are SOOOOOOO loose that they would give away my position with there rattleing.

Those other realtors are ruthless, you musn't give up your position!

Kidding of course!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
THey are SOOOOOOO loose that they would give away my position with there rattleing.

Those other realtors are ruthless, you musn't give up your position!

Kidding of course!

Good one! LOL!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:32:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea, I thought about that, but that meens these Krinks were built with wet or "green" lumber
I think the Rommy is laminated, as best I can tel, that's normally made bone dry.

Wood doesn't have to be "green" to have moisture.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:27:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wood doesn't have to be "green" to have moisture.

When you go to the lumber yard there is "green", then there is "kiln dryed". So I'd expect a close tolerance part like this to be made out of kiln dryed.

Green is just a term in the wood biz for raw undryed wood.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:08:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I work in a sawmill, and kiln dried lumber definitely has moisture content. If it is overdried, it can't be further processed without breaking into little pieces.  Maybe you could remove the handguards, reintroduce moisture through steam/soaking, and then oil them?

Or maybe that's not it at all. Maybe your rifle is growing!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top